Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    How A Merchant Can Get Their Affs Terminated From The Network
    There is no shortage of "clueless" merchant threads. Every once in awhile I can still come across something that makes me shake my head and grumble about the seemingly illogical nature of the business. Today is one of those days.

I was googling something and came across an unexpected return that caught my eye. It is a document put out by a merchant for their affiliates on how affiliates can generate traffic (I've saved a copy if it suddenly disappears). Sounds good until you read the document.

The first area they cover in traffic generation is "cheap traffic". The first source they list is Zango. And that's not the only adware traffic source they list. This guide has obviously been up quite a while as some of the adware sources they list are no longer around (like DirectRevenue). But others sitll are like w3i, TrafficVance, OuterInfo (used to be PurityScan/ClickSpring) and MediaTraffic.

I would opt for a completely "clueless" merchant award, except evidently they aren't completely clueless about this type of marketing. Because they make numerous references to traffic sources being "adware" along with such amazingly enlightened statements like "Steals or overwrites affiliate cookies" on more than one occassion while still listing these companies as potential traffic sources for their affiliates. They even go as far as linking to more than one thread or forum here on ABW discussing some of these companies. I'm leaning from clueless to irrational.

It gets even better. Of course I wanted to make sure this merchant was still live on SAS...and they are. But looking at their TOS I find:

Qualified Health has a zero-tolerance approach to Parasiteware, Adware, Spyware and any other type of potentially malicious software programs

Really??? A zero tolerance??? I think not when you have a guide for your affiliates telling them where to buy the traffic. Of course I realize more than one merchant has used parasitefree for nothing more than a marketing tool to recruit affiliates. These guys are just being blantant about it.

Of course SAS doesn't allow several of the traffic sources in this merchants guide. Maybe the merchant should understand their networks TOS an itty bit better. I find it somewhat self defeating to provide affiliates with a guide to traffic generation that could: 1) get your affiliate terminated from your program and 2) help your affiliates committ fraud within your own program.

This is also good reminder to affiliates...don't believe everything you read, even when it comes from your merchant.

15 years and counting
    Most of the time I start to wonder about a merchant after reading things like "Rake In Major Profits"
    Thanks for the link to their traffic generation recommendation. These people deserves to be booted from Shareasale.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    We'll never get our matching huts in Tahiti while you're still finding these things... so stop looking!!!

or...

What phrases do you search on Goog? Mine always result in pics of Pamela Anderson.

or...

Thanks AFP (as always)

All My Best,
    Billy Kay

Quote Originally Posted by Kellie aka Ms. B View Post
    This is also good reminder to affiliates...don't believe everything you read, even when it comes from your merchant.
    Thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

It's hard to believe a merchant would offer such and advice and even harder to believe they have a 0 tolerance for those who use their own advice. Great find Kellie.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Great info, but what will be the result of bringing it out?

Will QUALIFIED HEALTH be kicked off of SAS?
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, theres no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    @zeus and @rhia7 You're welcome

@Billy Kay I looking for some info for a post I'm working on for Revenews and stumbled on the link. So..errr...I've got something else in the works which will impact Tahiti huts I guess.

@GregRice Amazing isn't it? I'm suppose I should be thankful I can still be amazed at times.

@AffilaiteHound I suppose the result is the same for any post on ABW in general.

Kellie I read the whole report, thanks for finding it.

It could just be an incredibly ingenious way to pick out and remove the affiliates that can be swayed to the dark side.

But probably not...
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Not really fair to say the new affiliate that finds this guide and invests their hard earned money and time into utilizing some of the resources listed there - unknowingly jeopardizing their accounts/reputation/investment.

I can certainly understand a merchant trying to guide their affiliates, but man to say hey use this tool in one place and hey we don't allow that tool in the next place is a bit...shady.
    Steven Clarke
    SeeksAdmin.com
    Join @ SAS
    Server Management Affiliate Program
    We specialize in making life easier for everyone. Focus on what you do best on the internet. We handle securing, optimizing, monitoring your servers 24/7! Commissions start at $45/sale + regular bonuses.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread