Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Arrow Thoughts on removing coppor bolts (Dishwasher)?? Suggestions?
    OK, my dishwasher crapped out. Not to bore people about the inspector not picking that up, etc.

I got a new one as opposed to haggling and jerking around with those guys.

Anyway, i would like to get some input as to whether I need a blow torch to remove the copper bolt / pipe that connect to the hot water faucet? It is for my old unit. It looks like there is some blue stuff next to the bolts.

Sorry for the fuzzy pic.

the blue stuff is probably thread sealer.
    That copper pipe is going to be very thin walled, it will flex a little.
    Based on just the fuzzy picture: I'd try the 4 screws going into the base of the unit first. The second one I'd look at is the fitting going to the pipe, from that angle I can't tell if it's a flange or solder attachment (a flange one would just unbolt).
    Totally out of order: there has to be a water cutoff someplace (normally next to the sink)... but even with the water turned off: you will have water still in the pipes...

Thanks SKIP!

I guess i better get some thread sealer.

I doubt that i have the tools to remove the 4 screws due to the fact that it is about a 4 inch clearence from the floor. I have screwdrivers, mini screwdrivers, etc but unable to put enough pressure on that part. I need a 90' screwdriver or something like a L share allen key screwdriver.

Thanks for the watercut off note. I did turn off the water that is coming from the hot water pipe by the kitchen sink.

a socket wrench can be used to push the bits from an electric screawdriver..... (that gets you the 90 degrees).

Unless you are seeing a soldered joint the fitting on the pipe is probably the type you can take off with a wrench...

Are you having someone install the new one? (they can take out the old one in seconds.... with less chance of a mess...) remember you have live electric down there as well...

ABW Ambassador
    That "blue stuff" looks like Loctite thread sealer. Hit the connection with a hot air gun or heat it up just a bit and it should release it's hold.

Thanks Skip / Dave,

Nope, DIY. I can handle things like this but I hate to run to HomeDepot to get a blow torch 1/2 through.

Will use a wrench then.

sometimes these units just use a normal wall socket, other times they are hardwired in.. just remember that "juice" and water don't mix well.

As far as the heat, a blow dryer or soldering iron would probably do the job if the wrench can't do it alone, just be careful not to crimp the copper tube.

I will use my flare wrench that i use to prevent stripping the copper bolt. I have removed my car's fuel filter which had coppor heads/nuts.

If the pix was clearer I could tell for sure, but I'm 98% sure you can use a flare wrench (or worst case a regular one) to remove the copper/brass fittings. I seriously doubt they would solder that pipe since there is minimal room for that.

The copper pipe might even have enough give to slide stuff out a bit and get more room to work on it.

In any case, I don't think a torch would help. If it was soldered, then it is easier to cut the pipe, clean the end, and re-solder the replacement.
    Brad Waller | VP, Business and Affiliate Development
    EPage.com

Use an adjustable wrench. Put it on the brass nut that has the copper pipe coming into it. It's a compression nut, turn it counter clockwise. The copper pipe should come right out. To re-install more easily get a braided connection hose. Connect the pipe to it, slide the pipe back out of the way and then connect the braided connection hose to the dishwasher.
    You can get a braided connection kit at large home improvement stores or most places that sell appliances.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

+1

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    A wrench will take this off, but use another wrench to firmly hold what you are turning against - otherwise the torque could damage things. (I learned this the hard way) Pipe wrenches work good. Use as long a pipe wrench (with pipe over handle even) as needed. As Archimedes said, "Give me a lever long enough and I will move the world", (or something close to that).
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    You probably dont need pipe wrenches, flare wrenches or anything fancy. These fittings are brass and brass is used as it wont corrode or rust. Its also a little soft.

Feeling the blue stuff youcan get an idea what it is. It is probably just sealer.

You could probably get it with two big adjustable wrenches if that is all you have. Sometimes they fit tighter than open ended wrenches as well.

If you are in the same position as this picture was taken put the wrench in your left hand on the flats of the part close to us. Under it if you can get that angle. Then in your right hand put a wrench on the flats of that hex part on the thin wall tubing. It is holding the flared part of the pipe against the large fitting. Push down I believe on the wrench in your right hand. Might have to reverse the wrench or grab another flat. Use constant pressure and support the big fitting but you cant really break it as the whole machine is trash probably. But it is good practice to be careful. If you can see or feel threads you can reassure yourself of which way to turn is correct.

Good Luck.
    Last edited by andbeyond; July 15th, 2010 at 05:43 AM.

Thanks All,

I got it out and replaced. It was a learning process with some incidents which i will explain later.

To answer some Q.
    -No Blow torch needed
    -The blue stuff is sealent
    -Good flare wrench helped

Tips:
    -New dishwasher does not come with anything, had to stipped screw/parts off from old washer.
    -Spent 3.5hrs removing dishwasher and putting new one in by myself. Could do it in 1.5hrs now i think cos I know what the hell is going on. lol
    -Great learning experience but if you do not want the hassle, get Lowe's to do it for $75.

On that note, I move the broken washer out and it was broken since I moved in 1 month ago. It had stagnent water in there. As opposed to moving it outside, i put it in the kitchen. Woke up to find a flooded kitchen. Looks like my next big project is to do the floors cos linoleum and water = BAD MATCH.

See bad pic of unit i bought @ an awesome price @ lowes.

Eric, I have to complain about that super-extra-large useless picture...

Because:

First, it's just a jumbo picture of a new dishwasher door, how do we know it's a real new dishwasher, and not just the door of an empty dishwasher chassis?

Second, just like in the before and after pictures, of people that have lost weight, we would rather see a picture of the guts of that dishwasher after you had replaced the copper bolt / pipe that connect to the hot water faucet and installed those on the new one....

Third, why did you used a 1024 x 768 pixels on the before picture, and a BIG 1600 x 1200 pixels on the one, after?

By using the 1600 x 1200 pixels directly from the BlackBerry, that picture is too big to fit in here, so that big picture will cutoff your text, and the five right buttons from this tread on your post...

Next time I am going to charge you some money for making me work extra, in order to read your post...

I had to view source on this page, in order to recompile your post, and be able to quote what you posted, so all people here can read it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Ewe View Post
    Thanks All,

I got it out and replaced. It was a learning process with some incidents which i will explain later.

To answer some Q.
    -No Blow torch needed
    -The blue stuff is sealent
    -Good flare wrench helped

Tips:
    -New dishwasher does not come with anything, had to stipped screw/parts off from old washer.
    -Spent 3.5hrs removing dishwasher and putting new one in by myself. Could do it in 1.5hrs now i think cos I know what the hell is going on. lol
    -Great learning experience but if you do not want the hassle, get Lowe's to do it for $75.

On that note, I move the broken washer out and it was broken since I moved in 1 month ago. It had stagnent water in there. As opposed to moving it outside, i put it in the kitchen. Woke up to find a flooded kitchen. Looks like my next big project is to do the floors cos linoleum and water = BAD MATCH.

See bad pic of unit i bought @ an awesome price @ lowes.
    Btw, I even used my IrfanView to Resize/Resample your image to Half it's size. ( 800 x 600 pixels )

You owe me: 99Ę

---------
    Attached Images Attached Images

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread