Buy.com Sold
    This might be old news but I stumbled on a write up about a Japanese Co who bought buy.com. Lucky owners!

http://www.ecommnewz.com/2010/05/21/...etail-company/

Merchant & ABW Ambassador

Buy.com moved to CJ a few years back. They used to be on Linkshare. I wonder if we will see a move back to Linkshare now that Rakuten owns them?
    Last edited by bibby; July 16th, 2010 at 09:37 AM.

ABW Ambassador
    just received an email from buy.com... they are moving back to LS ... well they have already moved ... links on cj will cease being valid/active from 30 sept onwards
    Last edited by KGP; September 2nd, 2010 at 09:21 PM.

I just have to smile at these "Buy.com and LinkShare Together Again" e-mails. Yay! We are moving to the worst affiliate network, come on everybody, lets go!

Hopefully they can run without fees at LinkShare. That should give them more money to pass on to their affiliates!
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

ABW Ambassador
    What you said. Going from CJ to LS is pretty much a downgrade. And, gotta lotta links to change out.

They got 250 million for it! I checked out some of the Search Engines to see how they fair and it wasn't that great. I guess over the years they have become a branded site with great sales,similar to Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust View Post
    What you said. Going from CJ to LS is pretty much a downgrade. And, gotta lotta links to change out.
    Downgrade?

Let's compare.

Site downtimes per month - CJ 2-4. LS 1-2.
    Support for affiliates: CJ poor. LS OK.
    Termination of account due to no sales: CJ After 6 months. LS - NO.
    Ease of link creation: Same.
    Multiple Accounts under 1 login: CJ - No. LS - Yes.
    Parasite/Toolbar Enforcement: Both are poor.
    Product Feeds and Linking - CJ has a lttle edge due to their ability to hide AID's and encrypt links.

There's not much difference in my mind. Both have issues and could improve but I don't believe that CJ is leaps and bounds ahead of LS.

ABW Ambassador
    Do a poll, LS vs. CJ. CJ would win in a landslide. See below.

Site downtimes per month - You mean upgrades or maintenance? Not a biggie to me.
    Support for affiliates: I've never been able to speak to a human at LS. I've called the CJ number a few times and managed to get somebody. They both could be better
    Termination of account due to no sales: Not an issue for most affiliates. You should be getting sales in 6 months.
    Ease of link creation: I like CJ better.
    Multiple Accounts under 1 login: ? LS went backwords years ago where you had to create a separate channel for each site or use that other system. With CJ you can just pick your site from the dropdown and get links. It used to be that easy with LS.
    Parasite/Toolbar Enforcement: Both are poor. True
    Product Feeds and Linking - CJ has a lttle edge due to their ability to hide AID's and encrypt links.

Search function is better at CJ
    CJ has that nice banner rotation systems that I use.
    LS is slow, that lil spinning thing is annoying as hell.
    I will give them this, LS does have that non-commissioned sales report. That's nice.
    LS pays more often, nice. I know a lot of people like that. Not a biggie to me, once a month is fine for me.

Let's look at last ABW vote Best Affiliate Network, looking at CJ vs. LS, how many votes they each got - http://www.abestweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129246

CJ - 23
    LS - 3

No contest.

Throw this one in there too - http://www.abestweb.com/forums/showt...highlight=owns

CJ has more top merchants than LS and GAN combined.
    Last edited by Trust; September 4th, 2010 at 05:23 PM.

CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Quote Originally Posted by Trust View Post
    Do a poll, LS vs. CJ. CJ would win in a landslide. See below.

Site downtimes per month - You mean upgrades or maintenance? Not a biggie to me.
    Support for affiliates: I've never been able to speak to a human at LS. I've called the CJ number a few times and managed to get somebody. They both could be better
    Termination of account due to no sales: Not an issue for most affiliates. You should be getting sales in 6 months.
    Ease of link creation: I like CJ better.
    Multiple Accounts under 1 login: ? LS went backwords years ago where you had to create a separate channel for each site or use that other system. With CJ you can just pick your site from the dropdown and get links. It used to be that easy with LS.
    Parasite/Toolbar Enforcement: Both are poor. True

Search function is better at CJ
    CJ has that nice banner rotation systems that I use.

Let's look at last ABW vote Best Affiliate Network, looking at CJ vs. LS, how many votes they each got - http://www.abestweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129246

CJ - 23
    LS - 3

No contest.

Throw this one in there too - http://www.abestweb.com/forums/showt...highlight=owns

CJ has more top merchants than LS and GAN combined.
    A couple o things here Trust.
    I've had a terrible time with CJ's support or lack there of.
    As far as a seperate channel for multiple websites. I like LS's better. I might be wrong but let's say I have a lingerie site and a wigets site. Now a Widget merchant doesn't allow Lingerie affiliates or believe they're the right fit, when they look at my app, they will see all my sites and what I promote and might not know which site I'm applying to their program with.

I've had to send emails to AM's after being deniesd, explaining what site I inended to promote their porgram on. It sometimes took 2 weeks of back and forth email to finally resolve the issue and other other times the merchnt wasn't willing to take the risk that I wouldn't promote them on another site.

It's also bad for the merchant. Let's say I'm promoting 100 merchants and then open a new website. In CJ I will be approved for any site I add to my account even if the merchant would normally approve/deny apps manually.

ABW Ambassador
    "As far as a seperate channel for multiple websites. I like LS's better. I might be wrong but let's say I have a lingerie site and a wigets site. Now a Widget merchant doesn't allow Lingerie affiliates or believe they're the right fit, when they look at my app, they will see all my sites and what I promote and might not know which site I'm applying to their program with."

I see your point there and that is something networks could do better. SAS is doing that right, where you can now add some notes when applying to a merchant, like what site might be a match.

But, when I have a new site, it's just a lot easier/quicker to add it to CJ and then just go and get links from merchants I'm already approved with. My main site is a coupon site and listed as such and I had a new site, nothing to do with coupons and I had to email them to get in, telling them, I won't put them on my coupon site. With LS, new sites and doing it the channel method, it's a pain. Having to reapply to all those merchants again. I know they have that other method, never tried that.

A suggestion somebody had awhile back was to have a site, where you list all of your other sites, sort of a home base. So merchant would go to that site, see what you have. But hindsight is 20/20.

But that is one just aspect. I just know if a merchant came along that I really liked and they narrowed it down to 2 networks only, Linkshare or CJ. I would want them on CJ. And the ABW poll, where it was 23-3, tells me most affiliates would probably pick the same.
    Last edited by Trust; September 4th, 2010 at 05:32 PM.

I agree that SAS got t right with adding notes. How about a way for the mercant to click on te site(s) they approve when reviewing the application? They could also go back if they wish when deny/drop a site and click which site's they're dropping.

Can anyone share how LinkShare's datafeed system is? (I'm still using Buy.com's datafeeds direct from them.)

As it is GAN is my preference, and CJ it basically as good (honestly it might be better since you can set up multiple batches - but GAN seams easier. On both I especially like that once I'm accepted in a program I have control over the delivery.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by bibby View Post
    I agree that SAS got t right with adding notes. How about a way for the mercant to click on te site(s) they approve when reviewing the application? They could also go back if they wish when deny/drop a site and click which site's they're dropping.
    That's a good idea and something I was thinking of also.

Where an affiliate applies to a merchant has a list of sites:

Site A
    Site B
    Site C
    Site D

And they check off which ones get approved.

The problem is time and looking thru applications. Some people just don't want to do it, have the resources to do it, why many are just set to auto approve.

I like the note system tho when you apply to a merchant. Helps some of the issues for both the affiliate (letting them know what you have) and for merchants, it's quicker.
    Last edited by Trust; September 4th, 2010 at 05:38 PM.

ABW Ambassador
    well there is another issue for which i am not in favor of buy.com moving over to LS.
    not all european affiliates have access to the UK platform of LS, its mainly "available" to UK affiliates and some other countries (affiliatewise) but not to everyone like the US and CA platform.

thus the affiliates who could promote buy.com to UK, Germany and France are not able right now to do so and thus are excluded...or should i say..."discriminated"

Quote Originally Posted by mailman View Post
    This might be old news but I stumbled on a write up about a Japanese Co who bought buy.com. Lucky owners!

http://www.ecommnewz.com/2010/05/21/...-online-retail-company/
    #

Rakuten is massive. At this point $250 million is small change to them, and they have expanded about all they can in Japan without opening brick and mortar shops. I’m sure they’ve been looking to expand into the US, and it sounds like they found a relatively cheap entry point.

The nearest equivalent to Rakuten in the USA is Amazon – except last time I looked, Rakuten was maintaining the email lists for all the shops using its system. Imagine Amazon collecting the customer lists of all of its sellers! On top of that, Rakuten is heavily used by real-word businesses, rather than just online businesses.

It will be interesting to watch how they play this.

Unless they get struck in the Japanese mindset that kills so many overseas Japanese ventures, they should give Amazon retail a serious run for the money.

>> well there is another issue for which i am not in favor of buy.com moving over to LS.
    not all european affiliates have access to the UK platform of LS, its mainly "available" to UK affiliates and some other countries (affiliatewise) but not to everyone like the US and CA platform.
    >> thus the affiliates who could promote buy.com to UK, Germany and France are not able right now to do so and thus are excluded...or should i say..."discriminated"

all buy.com international sites also inactive and move after 9/30 ??
    Last edited by Vrindavan; September 7th, 2010 at 10:14 PM.

Site downtimes per month - no complain

Support for affiliates: i can get email support for both networks. LS is better for me just because they don't charge you a fee for a replacement check due to postal error (No DD for me in both networks)

Termination of account due to no sales: Not an issue for me too.

Ease of link creation: I hate CJ not hide all expired links from affiliate sight. Affiliates have to verify every link one by one every time. And CJ advertisers are putting critical information not in proper form field when they create affiliate links.

Multiple Accounts under 1 login: Both are similar to me. CJ one combined payment, LS separated payments.

Parasite/Toolbar Enforcement: Both are poor.

Product Feeds and Linking - i use third party solution to help me

LS pays more often - it would be even better if the payment go to my bank account directly

In most areas, there's very little difference between CJ and LinkShare. There are only two areas where I feel like there's a significant difference, and CJ wins on both of those accounts. One is payments and the other is escrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vrindavan View Post
    LS pays more often - it would be even better if the payment go to my bank account directly
    More often, but much slower payment cycle. (Not as bad as GAN, though.) With CJ, you get paid Net 20. With LinkShare, it's usually 45-60 days.

CJ requires most merchants to maintain an escrow balance, so you don't get screwed when merchants leave the network, go bankrupt, etc. LinkShare only does this with some merchants. I've lost a small fortune from LinkShare merchants that I never got paid for.

For those two reasons, I'll always choose CJ over LinkShare or GAN.

For other, even more important reasons (cleaner networks), I'll always choose ShareASale, buy.at, AvantLink, AffiliateFuture, and others before CJ, LinkShare or GAN.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

seems to me the most important is affiliate link tracking accuracy. I don't want missing sales transaction and lose commission count.

but i cannot distinguish which network is safer or riskier on this aspect.

That's definitely an important one, but I've never seen a noticable difference between networks. On some merchants, yes, but network-wide, no.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I would agree affiliate link tracking is key. In my experience I have found CJ to be more reliable than LS, but that comes from somewhat of a small sample.

I think CJ has the perception of being better at tracking because it is the largest and one of the oldest affiliate networks bar none

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread