Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lightbulb What a new join affiliate should know?
    Hi ! I am new in affiliate program with linkshare. What should I know or what I should learn 1st to start with linkshare affiliate program? I know many of you here have a lot of experience in linkshare. Hope you all can share it here and help each other. Thank you!

15 years and counting

I'm obsessed by this graphic.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post

That's the Japanese/Katakana symbol for "Surrender!".
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

You should check this: http://www.linksteal.com/ before getting started with Linkshare.
    Once you have read through the first few pages, you will get some idea where you are heading with Linkshare. Then you may like to try SAS (http://www.shareasale.com/).

Just my 2 cents!
    Fulltime webmaster and wordpress lover.

Question Nothing I can see
    Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    That's the Japanese/Katakana symbol for "Surrender!".
    I can't see anything except the "I'm obsessed by this graphic."
    You mean to surrender to affiliate program? Or you mean something else?

Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Adarsh View Post
    You should check this: http://www.linksteal.com/ before getting started with Linkshare.
    Once you have read through the first few pages, you will get some idea where you are heading with Linkshare. Then you may like to try SAS (http://www.shareasale.com/).

Just my 2 cents!
    Adarsh, Thank you so much in helping! I will sent you 2 cents if I manage to earn 2 cents from affiliate program!

Question I don't really get what you trying to tell
    I don't really get what you trying to tell, I saw many links on that page, and when I click those links, I saw some picture/video that explain nothing to me. And when I read the comments from our member, I roughly get the idea, was it talking about scam affiliate program by linkshare? Are you trying to tell me that this affiliate program are actually stealing commission from their own domain and also from theirs affiliate? Is that what you are trying to tell?

Lightbulb
    Quote Originally Posted by yspabw View Post
    I don't really get what you trying to tell, I saw many links on that page, and when I click those links, I saw some picture/video that explain nothing to me. And when I read the comments from our member, I roughly get the idea, was it talking about scam affiliate program by linkshare? Are you trying to tell me that this affiliate program are actually stealing commission from their own domain and also from theirs affiliate? Is that what you are trying to tell?
    I think people are trying to tell you there are easier networks to work with.

Exactly, there are better places to look for beginning your ventures. There is no fun in burning your brain cells on something that you may entirely DELETE some fine day. I did. Removed a FULL working website with very good traffic because it was targeted to merchants in Linkshare network. Thanks to ABW for making me aware of what's Linkshare doing to the affiliate marketing industry. So this is what I did: Quit Linkshare, logged to my FTP account and right from the root, I did ctrl+A to select all my website files and hit DELETE!

Hasta la vista, baby!
    Last edited by Adarsh; July 20th, 2010 at 07:26 AM.

ABW Ambassador
    Don't ever listen to people who tell you that you should quit a network. Not my favorite network by a long stretch, but there are some good merchants I do well with. There are good merchants on every network.

Agree with Trust. Every network has good and bad things about them. Linkshare is one of the best producing for me and that's because of specific merchants on the network.

To know about Linkshare:

Transactions are usually batched and updates depend on the merchants time-frame for sending in the batch. They can be within 24 hours or they can be longer.

Payments only come after the merchant pays Linkshare and that can be more than 30 days.

There are multiple ways to build links. Go through the interface and figure out the details.

Reporting dates use GMT time. So yesterday might not be what you think is yesterday in your time zone.
    Last edited by CathyM; July 20th, 2010 at 12:32 PM.

When I saw your original post, I was tempted to post some negative comments about LinkShare, which is one of my least-favorite affiliate networks (though it's certainly not the worst). I personally don't work with with LinkShare, for a variety of reasons.

But Trust is also right -- LinkShare does help some publishers earn money, and has some good advertisers (merchants).

My main concern, really, is that you're starting in the wrong place: you don't start in affiliate marketing by choosing an affiliate network. You start by choosing your niche (the topic or subject, and your target audience), and identifying the advertisers whose products are likely to be of interest to that audience. Then you determine which affiliate networks those advertisers are using, and choose whether to join each of those affiliate networks.

If you're starting this process by relying on an "ebook" or a "course" that someone's sold you, please spend some time reading and researching on ABestWeb so that you understand what affiliate marketing really is. It's not a way to 'get rich quick' nor to earn money without effort.

I, too, am not a fan of L/S - but I do get a (very small) check from them just about every two weeks. Those are from merchants I signed up with a looong time ago. I haven't signed up with anyone new at L/S in a couple of years. There are far too many good merchants (in all niches) that are on more affiliate-friendly networks, such as ShareASale, Buy.at, AvantLink. YMMV
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I agree with everyone, quitting a network may not be the best option. I have many reasons to quit Linkshare but definitely I miss my favorite merchants there.

Markwelch's advice is the best here IMO.

Mark, I have always admired your professional approach and your knowledge

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post

Too friggin funny

ABW Ambassador
    "I have many reasons to quit Linkshare but definitely I miss my favorite merchants there."

Then you listened to bad advice. So you have some favorite merchants over there, I'm guessing because you were probably making money with them and for some reason you pulled them? The network you just recommended, you were complaining about the lack of compliance. That merchant had problems last year, will probably have another thread in the future on them

Little something which has always annoyed me. Over the years there have been numerous threads about leave this or that network, boycott this or that network etc and it's usually from people that:

are not even affiliates

don't make any/or much money from being an affiliate

I know some actually post don't go to this network but have merchants themselves up thru that network

etc.

Those people might have thought they were being helpful and just repeating what somebody else told them but what you've actually been doing is probably hurting new people coming in this business following that advice but that's mainly on them anyway.

ABW Ambassador
    "There are far too many good merchants (in all niches) that are on more affiliate-friendly networks, such as ShareASale, Buy.at, AvantLink. YMMV"

I like them all but one has a Wild Wild West mentality with merchant agreements, one doesn't have many merchants on the network at all, one is closed off to third party applications like PopShops, the only network out there that is.

Affiliates should sign up with the various networks themselves and actually test them out, see what merchants are available, what works for them.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by markwelch View Post
    When I saw your original post, I was tempted to post some negative comments about LinkShare, which is one of my least-favorite affiliate networks (though it's certainly not the worst). I personally don't work with with LinkShare, for a variety of reasons.

But Trust is also right -- LinkShare does help some publishers earn money, and has some good advertisers (merchants).

My main concern, really, is that you're starting in the wrong place: you don't start in affiliate marketing by choosing an affiliate network. You start by choosing your niche (the topic or subject, and your target audience), and identifying the advertisers whose products are likely to be of interest to that audience. Then you determine which affiliate networks those advertisers are using, and choose whether to join each of those affiliate networks.

If you're starting this process by relying on an "ebook" or a "course" that someone's sold you, please spend some time reading and researching on ABestWeb so that you understand what affiliate marketing really is. It's not a way to 'get rich quick' nor to earn money without effort.
    And you're probably going to take this the wrong way but what you posted in another thread:

"I've publicly shared that my success with affiliate marketing has been a roller-coaster, and currently I'm earning essential no money from my web-publishing (affiliate-role) activity, although I'm starting to plan some new activities that I hope will be successful."

What I was talking about in my other post. You're kind of giving affiliate advice but not making money from it and I believe from other posts, there are other networks you won't work with either.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust View Post
    "There are far too many good merchants (in all niches) that are on more affiliate-friendly networks, such as ShareASale, Buy.at, AvantLink. YMMV"

I like them all but one has a Wild Wild West mentality with merchant agreements, one doesn't have many merchants on the network at all, one is closed off to third party applications like PopShops, the only network out there that is.

Affiliates should sign up with the various networks themselves and actually test them out, see what merchants are available, what works for them.
    Not sure I know what you mean by "Wild West mentality" - like allowing parasites to thrive and prosper; or having frequent tracking/reporting problems with no fix in sight (as exhibited by a couple of lengthy threads)?

I do agree about the one without third-party help available. I like their integrity and I personally like Gary - but do not use them at all because of just what you mentioned. I just don't have time to learn yet another data-implementation system - and would find it nearly impossible to smoothly integrate those products into feeds from PopShops and/or GoldenCAN and/or my own datafeed efforts. However, many, many people do use them because of their internal tools.

I absolutely agree that affiliates should test them all out to see what works well for them. It may be difficult, however, for a newbie to make those judgment calls without having any experience background.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

"I have many reasons to quit Linkshare but definitely I miss my favorite merchants there."

Then you listened to bad advice. So you have some favorite merchants over there, I'm guessing because you were probably making money with them and for some reason you pulled them?
    Is it all about money trust?

Regards.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Not sure I know what you mean by "Wild West mentality" - like allowing parasites to thrive and prosper; or having frequent tracking/reporting problems with no fix in sight (as exhibited by a couple of lengthy threads)?

I do agree about the one without third-party help available. I like their integrity and I personally like Gary - but do not use them at all because of just what you mentioned. I just don't have time to learn yet another data-implementation system - and would find it nearly impossible to smoothly integrate those products into feeds from PopShops and/or GoldenCAN and/or my own datafeed efforts. However, many, many people do use them because of their internal tools.

I absolutely agree that affiliates should test them all out to see what works well for them. It may be difficult, however, for a newbie to make those judgment calls without having any experience background.
    I can point you to a number of threads if you want or just search on that term.

ABW Ambassador
    Is it all about money trust?

Regards.
    This is a business. You are here to make money right? Shoppers shop with merchants, not networks.

This is a business. You are here to make money right? Shoppers shop with merchants, not networks.
    Yes, I'm here to make money 'the clean way'.

I agree with you, "Shoppers shop with the merchants" but when it comes to affiliate marketing, shoppers show with the merchants but through an affiliate network so that everything gets tracked properly. Although I have no doubts on the technology Linkshare has employed to track sales but it just doesn't reflect all of those sales on the affiliate side lol.

I'm just saving this newbie some headache that I had to face when I was with Linkshare. There are way too many sales that don't get tracked. And of course, I hate what they do to this industry through their sister companies Onecause, Freecause, dadacause, etc.

Regards.

ABW Ambassador
    "or having frequent tracking/reporting problems with no fix in sight (as exhibited by a couple of lengthy threads)?"

Who? You're not talking about the CJ threads are you? Things track just as well as any other network. I don't have any reporting problems there either. Years ago, it seemed they used to have delays now and then. Delays, not lack of reporting. But, I haven't seen that in awhile.

ABW Ambassador
    Yes, I'm here to make money 'the clean way'.

I agree with you, "Shoppers shop with the merchants" but when it comes to affiliate marketing, shoppers show with the merchants but through an affiliate network so that everything gets tracked properly. Although I have no doubts on the technology Linkshare has employed to track sales but it just doesn't reflect all of those sales on the affiliate side lol.

I'm just saving this newbie some headache that I had to face when I was with Linkshare. There are way too many sales that don't get tracked. And of course, I hate what they do to this industry through their sister companies Onecause, Freecause, dadacause, etc.

Regards.
    There is nothing "dirty" about having up merchants your site visitors might shop at. It's smart. You pulled your favorite merchants off your site because........?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast