ABW Ambassador

July 25, 2004

Subject: FBI/DOJ Case??

Let's see, now.

I'm not a lawyer or a legal scholar, I'm a sci-tech guy, but if what Ben Enedelman says at:

http://www.benedelman.org/spyware/18...ts-silent.html

and I quote,

"180 has implemented a system that can replace affiliate tracking codes without showing users any popup windows. These replacement affiliate codes cause 180 to be paid commissions otherwise payable to other affiliates, and cause 180 to be paid commissions even if no commissions would otherwise be paid"

is true, I personally believe there is a case to be made and prosecuted by the United States Department of Justice,

(http://www.usdoj.gov/),

concerning organized interstate theft, organized racketeering, interstate wire fraud, interference with interstate commerce,
    and on and on, ad nauseum.

I noticed that the Bank of America is on Enedelman's list at:

http://www.benedelman.org/spyware/18...ts-double.html

Sounds like bank robbery to this Texan. I think the FBI

(http://www.fbi.gov)

should be informed about what is happening.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

I'd be very interested in the opinions of others.

RadarCat, B.A., M.Sc.
    http://www.os2warplinks.com

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Maybe we should all drop them a hint that a serial cookie kidnapper/killer is on the loose. My sales have been missing for more then 48 hours!
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

RadarCat,

The issues are proof, understanding, time, capitol and legislation at this point.

There are a few here on ABW who claim to have proof but have yet to request prosecution; they are instead working towards getting these parasites to work fair and square. (Ya - Go figure)

Then there are a few here on ABW who would prefer to ***** and groan. We all know where that’s going? For me anyway I read and interact, and for the most part get ideas on how I can specialize software to defeat the problem on my sites and those who hire me to protect there sites.

Then you have the proclaimer’s of injustice, these people do not have the understanding on how to get proof for these issues, so these poor individuals are left to complain with zero recourse. Other than going back to school to understand, but by the time these individuals get out of school who knows where there life’s path will take them.

Then you have ABW members who have proclaimed proof, but require payment to prove it to the unbelieving networks. Errors in this theory are the Networks have taken the parasites within their fold as an affiliate. So why in the world would a network pay some to tell on them?

Then we have you and many like you – what are you doing about the issues?

-----------------------------------------------
    I had a lot more to say, but a student needs my attention!

Well the wheels of Federal and even State governments turn slowly on the cybercrime crossovers to existing laws on the books mentioned above. The hurdle is the Liberal Democrat Federal Judges throwing their Berkley politics into the proof pudding in the areas where the cases would be filed.

The 3 shopping sites I put up for States Attorney Cybercrime units are well aware of the BHO theft game just as they are in the identity theft, spamm and terrorist funding that takes place within the under belly of the affiliate industry. Current cop-out is the "entrapment" defense, but rest assured the entire money trial is under scrutiny.

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    Sandra,

You forgot in your list:

Then you have the ABW member who takes every opportunity to cloud the issue and derail a thread with self-serving ultra-right-wing nonsense.

Wayne

Ah the mastery of overcoming the roadblocks to protecting USA citizens from cybercriminals and scammers can be done through the legislative front door, if your a smart as GWB. Notice how his administration muzzled the Telemarketers and just last week he muzzled the entire Federal Judiciary when he signed into law the "Identity Theft Bill".

Should anyone in the affiliate or regular industry desire to peddle my identity information to anyone for neferious reasons they now face 5 mandintory years in jail. No Federal Judge has any say as to the fairness of the sentence if the perps are found guilty....even if they're misunderstood Silcon Valley latte slurping dot commers with a bent ebiz plan.

As for notifying the proper authorities, how would anyone know whether someone had or had not done so? Sometimes the wheels of change move very cautiously and slowly, but they are indeed moving.

There are a lot more eyes and ears out there watching than we think...

@ Mike: I can honestly say your post above was the first time I've ever seen anyone refer to GWB as smart...

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    Somehow I don't think a cyber-scammer in Russia or Pakistan would think twice about selling your personal info, despite how smart they think GWB is.

Wayne

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Nah Mike, the way I got it figured it's rich old white men like you who've been in charge since the beginning of time and all you're doing is trying to defend your fire hydrant against incursions from women, minorities and folks who work for a living.

Keep raving, you'd make a great poster boy for the liberal cause.

Maybe not smart but crafty and willing to put real teeth into new laws. Read the fine print in that law which kicks in as soon as the Overseas enforcement cooperation sections get their acts together. Meanwhile Sites caught doing identity theft schemes get pulled from the worldwide DNS records ...bye bye domains. Try to find the private servers for three phisher and spam front end groups who got cases filed last week. Simple works .... No DNS#=no victims

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Maybe not smart but crafty and willing to put real teeth into new laws. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    They said the same thing about Mussolini.

Of course, he did make the trains run on time and that was a good thing.

Wayne

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Mike,

I don;'t think your buddy GWB will lift a finger once 180solutions starts contributing to his reelection campaign.

Remember, the "have-more's" are his self-proclaimed base.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    There are a bunch of affiliates that we really need around here due to their knowledge of the issue, Sandra, Ms B, Ecom, to name a few.

I think without these and others taking this fight to the next level (talking to Aff Managers, posting comments to FTC, legal action, etc), this would not even be a discussed or dealt with in any way.

I appreciate all you do!
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

ABW Ambassador
    You can and should file complaints with the FTC. They have some tech savvy people there who can understand the issues. And they do follow-up to every legit claim.

Chet

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread