Question Is it True?
    We have all read that Google states that it protects its partners (PPC, Adsense) and that's why it has to terminate certain accounts it deems as generating fraudulent clicks.

Is Google really playing fair? I want to recount a conversation I overheard at a restaurant last year.

Please note that what I heard has not been verified by me. I want this community to express an opinion about the possibility mentioned below.

So two IT fellows were talking at a booth behind me. They were pretty loud. One of the guys works for a Fortune 100 company in an online division.

The guys were talking about PPC and Search engines. The Fortune 100 guy states that his company doesn't have to worry. He says all he has to do is call his Google rep, make a 10k or more payment and there PPC ads and SEO results remain at the top of Google results pages.

Now at this point I was fuming but I remained calm and I trurned around and asked the guy if this was really true. I told him that this is not right, especially as a PPC paying customer myself. I asked if I heard right.

He mumbled something and said he couldn't talk any more about this. He took off his company badge, so I couldn't see his name.

My question to seasoned ABWers, is this is possible?

If it is then there isn't an equal playing field and Google would be hurting many of its partners.

As an example if you work for mom and pops and are competing against a Fortune 100 company for results, you know they have more money. You also know they can outbid you but....it's not only about that, it's about the type of ads you have, the content of your landing pages, etc, etc.
    Do you think mom and pops would be happy that Fortune 100 only has to dial a number and make an obscene payment?

As I said, I canít verify the truthfulness to what was being said and I donít want to claim it as fact. I want to know if others have heard or experienced stories like this and if itís at all possible.

15 years and counting
    Quote Originally Posted by bibby View Post
    We have all read that Google states that it protects its partners (PPC, Adsense) and that's why it has to terminate certain accounts it deems as generating fraudulent clicks.

Is Google really playing fair? I want to recount a conversation I overheard at a restaurant last year.

Please note that what I heard has not been verified by me. I want this community to express an opinion about the possibility mentioned below.

So two IT fellows were talking at a booth behind me. They were pretty loud. One of the guys works for a Fortune 100 company in an online division.

The guys were talking about PPC and Search engines. The Fortune 100 guy states that his company doesn't have to worry. He says all he has to do is call his Google rep, make a 10k or more payment and there PPC ads and SEO results remain at the top of Google results pages.

Now at this point I was fuming but I remained calm and I trurned around and asked the guy if this was really true. I told him that this is not right, especially as a PPC paying customer myself. I asked if I heard right.

He mumbled something and said he couldn't talk any more about this. He took off his company badge, so I couldn't see his name.

My question to seasoned ABWers, is this is possible?

If it is then there isn't an equal playing field and Google would be hurting many of its partners.

As an example if you work for mom and pops and are competing against a Fortune 100 company for results, you know they have more money. You also know they can outbid you but....it's not only about that, it's about the type of ads you have, the content of your landing pages, etc, etc.
    Do you think mom and pops would be happy that Fortune 100 only has to dial a number and make an obscene payment?

As I said, I canít verify the truthfulness to what was being said and I donít want to claim it as fact. I want to know if others have heard or experienced stories like this and if itís at all possible.
    No way, Jose! 10k is not even a drop in the bucket for Google.
    Your two guys are full of it. I saw Google dropping companies that would have paid 100 times that amount to stay in their listing.
    Google can do awful things but not that. Too much liabilities...

Yeah 10k to Google in exchange for favorable treatment would be like trying to offer a college kid 10 cents to scrape and paint your house.

Sounds like the guy was just running his mouth trying to impress his buddy.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Not true.

However, big spenders do have access to account teams at AdWords. They claim, however, that they have zero influence over other divisions.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    If Google were accepting money to fix the search results, then they would never be able to hide it. It would get out, and it would be the end of Google.

They are worth billions, not much you could do with 10k as far as Google are concerned.

No way what that guy was claiming is true.

Well that's why I posted here. At least this can make everyone feel more comfortable that the PPC and SEO landscape is fair.

Google isn't a person. It's a company. People in companies take kickbacks all of the time. I'm sure Google, as a company, isn't an exception. Would the company condone it? Certainly not, but it doesn't mean it's not happening. $10,000 to Google is nothing. $10,000 to a Google employee is something.
    Last edited by leeann; July 23rd, 2010 at 05:34 AM.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    If Google manipulates is rankings based on payment it will be replaced by a search engine that delivers better results.

Since their entire model is based around search I doubt you would see them do something that stupid.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Is Google really playing fair?
    i guess so
    to think of it we would not have any choice if they are not being fair
    but then i standby to Google honesty and believe that they only give the best of everything to us users

Last edited by Bill; August 22nd, 2010 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Manual sig removed. Link drop. Ban warning.

well i dont think so, there are many website they are doing these things, i myself use many website as (ppc site), they were paying .1 cent per click. but Google cant do it, as it is going with great performance day by day..

well, i have seen my self many ppc website, they are paying to the people to click their link ... thats bad and click fraud..

well, Google is a great search engine, and this is their fairness reason that they are well famous and great to for the people to search..

Quote Originally Posted by arthur_drag View Post
    well i dont think so, there are many website they are doing these things, i myself use many website as (ppc site), they were paying .1 cent per click. but Google cant do it, as it is going with great performance day by day..
    Is there point in getting paid .1 per click. It is too small as compared to google PPC.That's the reasons google still stands on top.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread