15 years and counting
    Will Google Caffeine have a big effect on Affiliate Marketing?
    Nobody at ABW is saying anything. So how does this affect affiliates?

Caffeine is a revamp of Google’s indexing infrastructure. Others changes are also known as the “Mayday” update at Webmaster World. Matt Cutts said: ”this is an algorithmic change in Google, looking for higher quality sites to surface for long tail queries. It went through vigorous testing and isn’t going to be rolled back.”

I can only talk of my own experience: All my websites are affected. Old or new, traditional sites or blogs. Google bots are pounding my sites everyday. My old traditional sites with no updates these last 3 years or more are back in business. My blogs are not getting a special treatment anymore. Fresh posts doesn't rank faster. It seems blogs are now considered like other sites and you can get traffic (and sales) on outdated information.
    Crawling activity is up. (200%) since June
    Traffic is up (over 100%)
    Average conversion is down big time
    Sales are down (between 10 and 20%) nothing drastic (Could be also related to the products inclusion in the SERPs)

The products sold on my websites are not the same than before. New content doesn't seem to bring new business.
    Google said "Content owners will reap the benefits of Caffeine without doing anything at all."
    I'm seeing the opposite. Google is indexing old content.
    Google said "Delays between the time Google finds new content and includes it in the index have been eradicated."
    I'm seeing the opposite. It was taking less than one minute for my new content to be indexed. Not anymore.

Google SERPs are really bad on many keywords. I'm getting sales on lousely related keywords (It can explain why my conversion is down)
    I'm working only on organic traffic (no ppc or advertising) and I don't use datafeeds. The good part, none of my sites are excluded from the SERPs.

I've a few question:
    Am I the only affiliate affected? The update is pretty new (only two months) Should we give time to Google before drawing a conclusion?
    Are feed affiliates and those using automated methods to build sites affected by Caffeine?
    Are OPMs (and AMs) seeing a change in their top earning affiliates?

There were some active threads in Midnight Cafe:

http://www.abestweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133810
    http://www.abestweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132637

As a content site, with some automation, I've seen a nice bump in traffic/search results, but nothing extraordinary. Site SERP appears to have stabilized, which is nice. No extreme swings in the last 6-8 weeks.

Conversion & sales have been on the rise, but that has more to do with new features rolled out on the sites in the last 2 months. New content is indexed at the same pace, no noticeable change there.

Big picture, I haven't seen a negative impact (which is a good thing), but the upside hasn't been anything to write home about.
    Last edited by teezone; July 23rd, 2010 at 11:53 AM.

15 years and counting
    Thanks teezone. I didn't remember the first thread on Caffeine.

Zeus I saw my long standing authority content site get wacked for about a month and then get back to normal. Other then that I have not seen any rankings changes.
    Last edited by Vinny O'Hare; July 23rd, 2010 at 12:06 PM.

Conversion has been down since before Caffeine. People do more comparison shopping nowadays and are very careful with their spending. That explains partially why traffic is up but conversion is down... besides that more people are using the Internet, of course.

Also, now that Google is the biggest shopping comparison site itself, they rob high valuable keywords from web publishers. That explains the other part why conversion is down.

As to Google indexing old content, I can attest to that. Five year old domain name with zero PR got thousands of pages in the index recently. That never happened before. Google crawls the site every day. But new content is also picked up regularly.

I'm glad that many people at ABW were not affected with updates like this. That means we are doing something right, at least from the perspective of Google.

Google ..... they rob high valuable keywords from web publishers
    How in the world is Google "robbing" anybody of anything? The paid listings are a level playing field; highest bidder gets highest position. The organic listings are a free ride. If Google is doing something to effectively monetize traffic to THEIR site, how are they "robbing" web publishers?
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

15 years and counting
    For a long time we had a balance between content sites and Search Engines. A search engine exists because they have something to offer. The offer is a fair ranking of valuable sites that users are looking for. You can offer free content if in exchange you get free traffic.
    Google is changing the rules. They want it all. They want free content and are giving nothing back.
    As a free service they are paid with advertisement. But now, they are competing with the same sites offering them free content.
    Imagine an OPM competing with their merchants, or a magazine starting to sell products competing with their main advertisers...
    They are doing much more than monetizing THEIR traffic, they are trying to grab part of somebody else business. They are overdoing it. Their shopping offer in the middle of the SERPs is way too much.
    Yes, in a way, they are "robbing" sites they are listing.

They want free content and are giving nothing back.
    Giving nothing back? They are putting the "free content" up in a public place where people can find it. Website owners are getting "free traffic" and then they complain that Google is trying to eat a piece of their own pie?

And as far as those who pay for listings, it's up to them if they want to advertise in a competitive environment like that. Nobody is twisting their arm, and nobody is "robbing" them of anything.

If you don't think Google is being fair to you, all you got to do is go into your robots.txt files and block Googlebot. Go ahead. I double-dog dare ya to.
    Last edited by davidh; July 23rd, 2010 at 02:49 PM.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates

ABW Ambassador
    "The paid listings are a level playing field;"

Not really anymore, when they put their own listings up there.

It is the advertiser's choice as to whether they are willing to compete in that environment. If they feel they are being mistreated, all they need to do is keep their money to themselves and spend their advertising budget elsewhere.

Google has every right in the world to put as much of any type of their own advertising as they want ON THEIR OWN WEBSITE.
    Last edited by davidh; July 23rd, 2010 at 02:52 PM.

Affiliate Manager maxwellgarner's Avatar
    if you don't think google is being fair to you, all you got to do is go into your robots.txt files and block googlebot. Go ahead. I double-dog dare ya to.
    lol
    Affiliate marketing is not just a way to make money, it's a way of life.
    Maxwell Garner | Owner | [URL="http://creditcardaffiliateservices.com"]CreditCardAffiliateServices.com[/URL] | Phone - 407-504-5944

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread