Hi, many of you remember when my website first hit the net - LOL. Anyway, the site is now 4 months old and I would like to know your opinion on my progress. The following are my stats from this AM. BTW, I did receive my first linkshare check ($35) and just got my 1st sale at Krooked Stix. Yea...

The site is a pure link farm / mall type site. If you owned this site and saw these stats "what would you do?"

Site started in Mar 2004 (4 months old) - Averages $75 p/month - June/July
    Unique visitors
    March - 356 (most ABW/Myself)
    April - 303 ("" "")
    May - 542
    Jun - 1003
    Jul - 891 (ending Jul 26)

Search Engines:
    Jeeves: 136.56 MB - 23 Jul
    Googlebot 86.01 MB - 26 Jul
    MSNBot 23.58 MB - 26 Jul
    Inktomi 12.48 MB - 26 Jul
    Gigabot 2.08 MB - 25 Jul

Time Spent Visiting Site:
    0-30 seconds 78.1%
    30-2 min 11.3%
    2-5 min 4.6%
    5-15 min 3.2%
    15-30 min 1.3%
    30 - 1 hr 1.0%

Links from SE:
    Google 385
    Yahoo 182
    Jeeves 28
    Altavista 8
    AOL 8
    Jeeves (UK) 5
    Alltheweb 4
    Netscape 3
    Teoma 2
    Earthlink 2
    Others 5

Add to favorites: 17 / 891 = 1.9%

Suggestions (besides give-up or Quit) is very much appreciated.

John

Looks like your traffic is steadily increasing. I would work on incomming links to try and raise PR and keep adding content/feeds. If history keeps repeating itself (your unique visitors) you should be in good shape for the holiday shopping season, good luck.

ABW Ambassador
    You're doing a lot better then most people when they first start. In about 4 months you got a lot up, and already have your first check. Averaging about 34 unique a day this month which is low but probably due to just starting out, takes some time.

Why don't you buy some targeted traffic or run an adwords campaign? Even if you break even or even go neg a little... if you get those bookmarks, it'll pay off when Christmas season rolls around. Perhaps even say something like "Make sure to add us to your favorites for Christmas!"

Good luck,
    Z

looks good!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by guam:

Add to favorites: 17 / 891 = 1.9%

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1.9% isn't bad. Mine has always been around .9-1.0% monthly.

doing better than my mall site :P and mine has been up longer.

As long as your making more than your spending.

I dunno what it was but the SE's just didn't like my shopping site.. I've since done some changes and looks like google is back poking around a few pages.

MSN has gobbled up quite a bit.. yahoo grabbing a few pages here and there. Somehow ask jeeves is my biggest referrer.

The spiders must be exploring.. I can get 20 visits a day(uniques are less) but pages downloaded are usually in the thousands.

I've not lost hope yet, although it is stifling my enthusiasm which was very high when I started heh. Reality has set in.

I am in no words an expert... but this niche stuff they talk about would probably be more lucrative than a generic shopping site.

Good luck,
    Z

Thank you for your input everyone.

Looks like I'm doing alright then, at least average for a 4 month old site. As far as links, I have quite a few, just don't see them in Google yet.... the site is a PR4 so far.

Is it normal to see 78% of a mall site traffic at 0-30 secs? Shouldn't I expect more to stay a bit longer? Because of the site design (Mall) I'm fuzzy on how to get them to browse around more. Some kind of (cost free)incentives? Coupons?

Zesbez wrote:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Why don't you buy some targeted traffic <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am running a traffic campaign now on my very newest site (cost me about $50 for 10K) Up to around 7,000 vists so far with no sales, 1 add to Fav, 98% leave in under 30 sec.

If someone knows of a better program, I'd be interested in trying it on this 4 month old site...to see where it would lead.

Again, thanks for the input and thoughts.

John

ABW Ambassador
    What kind of traffic campaign, $50 for 10,000. I don't like the sound of that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    I am running a traffic campaign now on my very newest site (cost me about $50 for 10K) Up to around 7,000 vists so far with no sales, 1 add to Fav, 98% leave in under 30 sec.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A lot of cheaper traffic is from companies that do one of two things. One is called sharelists where users agree to click on links or see webpages in exchange for others to "view" their site. This is a very high-traffic tactic that produces very little quality results.

Another tactic is companies that display your website in a "pop-under" window. The problem with this is that it's very non-targeted and the stats can be easily manipulated.

Once again, I'm not the expert that some are, but I would say PPC would be your best conversive, and most economical approach to targeted traffic.

Good luck,
    Z

Trust wrote: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>What kind of traffic campaign, $50 for 10,000. I don't like the sound of that. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, it is a company(?) that redirects traffic from expired domains. That really is all I know that kind of stuff... But, yeah, it perhaps isn't one of my best ideas.

PPC is an area I haven't looked into only because I am thinking that is really meant to promote/advertise niche sites. Do you think a Mall / link farm would do well with PPC? What would I promote? Pick a product or merchant (feed) index page?

John

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah Guam, i would try to stay away from that kinda stuff, never tried any of that myself but i imagine it's nothing but crap traffic. Hence the 7,000 visits and 0 sales.

PPC you could try but just starting out you have to be very careful, could lose a lot of money if you don't keep an eye on it. I do some PPC but i watch it closely, try different campaigns out and keep the ones that work. But i think it's best to learn SEO first for the free traffic before getting into that. You could give it a try but go very easy at first. Or maybe just keep building for now and give it some time for the search engines to pick up all your stuff and see how that goes.

Trust, remember when I first asked for a site review?

Trust (Mar 9, 2004) When I asked for a Site Review: "Jason go ahead and take this one, i can't stop laughing. I don't know where to start. "

Well, just to let you know, that I truly appreciate the fact that you've stuck with me and I enjoy knowing that you (and other here) have seen positive progress in my efforts.
    Given more thought to this, I think I would agree with you in that more pages - keeping my theme(?) would be better than PPC for now.

John

ABW Ambassador
    I remember At first i thought it was some driveby SiteSell stuff that this forum gets from time to time, but i was wrong. But you stuck around and picked stuff up pretty quickly and it's looking good now. Just gotta keep at it and i'll think you'll do great.

It is comforting to know that I'm on the right track with this.

Getting only a single sale once every 7-8 days is frustrating. I am impatient I suppose.

I started this thread 'cuz I need reinforcement that 1) I'm doing Ok and 2) My numbers are within a normal range.

I was prepared to make "more" drastic changes if the response was otherwise.

Guess I'll just keep putting up pages.

Thanks again.

John

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread