Adwords sometimes ignoring negative keywords
    So here's the deal. I run a set of ads that target certain words and phrases to bring people to my website.

Over time I have added a lot of negative keywords to my campaigns (nearly 2000 negative keywords/phrases now). In the past this worked fine to keep me out of trouble with various merchants that are using automated reporting services to track violations.

So during the past few months, I have now on 3-4 occasions, been contacted with terse emails from merchants demanding that I stop bidding on their terms. I'm not of course bidding their terms. The terms in question are ALREADY IN MY NEGATIVE LIST. I never bid brands without explicit permission. And if I try and duplicate the issue with the search phrase they're complaining about, my ad does not show up.

The reports they reference are usually sourced from brandverity or similar service. On most of the occasions, the complaints happened to come in during a 24-48 hour window after I'd added some words to my negative list. I don't know if that activity was related or not.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this, and does anyone have any suggestions of how I can reduce the odds of this continuing to happen to me?
    Last edited by TI Master; July 23rd, 2010 at 06:08 PM.

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    I was just wondering are you leaving the negatives as the default broad or are you changing them?

It is possible the system that does broad is not completely accurate. Might try phrase or exact. I like Phrase myself.

Quote Originally Posted by andbeyond View Post
    I was just wondering are you leaving the negatives as the default broad or are you changing them?

It is possible the system that does broad is not completely accurate. Might try phrase or exact. I like Phrase myself.
    I'm just entering them as regular words or phrases, one per line, with no quotes or brackets or whatever around them. 99.999% of the time it functions fine, but every once in a while for a really brief period it seems like Google doesn't apply the negatives for a short time and I get a warning email. But nobody can ever duplicate it once the report shows up.

How would I do a phrase version, surround them in quotes or brackets? I even took the extra step of adding some of the keywords to my ad level negatives list, in addition to the campaign level, but I got another email from that merchant about a month or so after the first time.
    Last edited by TI Master; July 24th, 2010 at 01:15 PM.

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread