Affiliate Manager maxwellgarner's Avatar
    I'm not one to blow whistles, but...
    rent-a-list.com is a scam. Bottom line. I did a small campaign with them that started yesterday. They sent out my email campaign (or so they said) and the thing is is that according to their tracking, I got visitors to my site almost instantly. I actually got most of the "guarantee" that they gave me within two hours and the guarantee was met and beat by the end of the day. Their guarantee was 50% and they actually delivered 52% which is totally off the chart statistics for any email campaign. I mean, I don't know what I was thinking even bothering with someone that is going to actually offer 50% click through on emails. Granted they are incentive based, that is still absurd. But anyways, so yesterday the email was received and they met their 50% guarantee, which my analytics actually show 23%, which if a user has to spend a certain amount of time (30 seconds) on my site in order to get credit for visiting to get their half a penny or whatever, then analytics WILL pick it up.

So to sum it all up, 52% yesterday within just a couple of hours and 0% since they met their guarantee. Obviously no conversions, but my hopes for conversions were astronomically low going into this, I just wanted to try and see if it was worth it. There are also complaints about this being a scam all over other forums, but I know that a lot of people yell "SCAM" when it really just didn't work for them. Not only did it not work for me, but the numbers just don't make sense which leads me to blow the whistle on this one.
    Affiliate marketing is not just a way to make money, it's a way of life.
    Maxwell Garner | Owner | [URL="http://creditcardaffiliateservices.com"]CreditCardAffiliateServices.com[/URL] | Phone - 407-504-5944

I bet if you owed 100 bucks apiece to 100 people, and sent them each a personal email titled "I've got your money, when can I come and bring it to you", you might not get 50% opened and read within first 24 hours, let alone 2 hours.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Exactly. But this isn't even opened and read. We're talking opened, read, clicked through to the site, and spent at least 30 seconds on the site. It really wasn't that much of an investment to try and I didn't have high expectations. rent-a-list might have got me for a few bucks, but I'm sure the negative attention will cost them way more than what their "service" cost me.
    Maxwell Garner | Owner | [URL="http://creditcardaffiliateservices.com"]CreditCardAffiliateServices.com[/URL] | Phone - 407-504-5944

Oh, and to add insult to injury, they are blowing up both my email address that I created my account with and my paypal email address. Two emails per offer from two different email addresses to each inbox. So, for 3 offers, I have a total of 12 emails. I wonder if they count clicks on the unsubscribe buttons in their emails as credits for advertisers...

Stories like this really annoy me... for what it's worth, thanks for sharing, this story will help others..

If you google "get paid to read emails" you will find companies that pay people to open & click. It's just arbitrage, nothing more. What a scam..

I know all about the get paid to read emails deal...and while I knew it was going to be traffic that wouldn't convert very well (if at all), I figured I would at least see if there was any value in their service and I'm not calling it a scam because it didn't convert, it's a scam because they didn't deliver what I bought. I truly am amazed that the tracking system is dishonest. I mean, it's clearly noted in the terms that it's not realistic to see any kind of positive results. I thought that if they were decent enough to be honest about that, then they might actually deliver what they say they would, but NO.
    Last edited by maxwellgarner; July 24th, 2010 at 02:22 AM.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread