On the surface, the TemplateMonster affiliate program appears to be highly successful. There affiliate forum has 17000+ members for example. I am wonder what can be attributed to this above average (and continued) success? Does anyone use their program?

Well, sites like this put me out of business. I use to be a freelance web designer. This is the beauty and agony of a global marketplace.

For the record, they provide an excellent service for the price. It could "revolutionize" small business web design.

My thoughts,
    Z

Speaking for myself (I'm still a freelance web designer in addition to a new affiliate marketer) I decided to look at template monster as an opportunity, rather than a competitor. I now have a "custom work" web development site, for clients with more money than time, and a "self-serve" site for clients with more time than money. If a client just wants a quick business card site (and there's plenty of those out there) I show them some of the templates from the site, explain how it works and what the cost savings would be, and often they'll pay me to buy their template, customize it, and populate it. Nice money for very little work.

Which is a roundabout way of saying, I'd bet many of those affiliates in the program aren't resellers, but are web designers (like me) buying the templates themselves to save time & money.

Hope that makes sense, I'd be interested in other people's viewpoints.

LOL, Elynn, that is such a great marketing twist! I love it.

I've bought templates through Template monster, used a friend's aff link so he got the commish. I never found marketing webmaster resources worth my time.
    Video Marketing Success eBook -- co-written by webmarm

ABW Ambassador affiliatemakeover's Avatar
    Yeah, it's tough if you're a web designer. Their prices and quality of work is unbelieveable. I've seen site designs in there that are better than what I've sold $50k website designs for back in 99, really.

But...have you ever implemented one of those templatemonster designs? It's not that easy, even for the web designer. Believe me, go ahead and tell you client to buy one and put it together themselves, they'll be calling you in 24 hours asking for you to personalize it for them.

You don't just change a logo and move on, there's a lot of work to be done to make it "yours."
    Jim Kukral
    You will love my book: Attention! This Book Will Make You Money

They got NOTHIN' for Pagan, Wiccan or even new age.

Sure would have liked a template that looks sort of like the other religious templates.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>But...have you ever implemented one of those templatemonster designs? It's not that easy, even for the web designer. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>You don't just change a logo and move on, there's a lot of work to be done to make it "yours." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup, that's how I make my money on the deal I've implemented those templates into OSCommerce storefronts, basic web sites, etc - but it does take know-how. (As well as a copy of photoshop to work with the layered images.) Also, I don't suppose I need to mention none of those templates are optimized for search engines...
    and I agree their quality is great.

EDIT - Oops, forgot to mention that their affiliate program now doesn't just pay out $$, but lets you donwload more templates with your accrued commission credits. (I hope that made sense.) Another feature that leads me to believe that most of their affiliates are also their best customers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SSanf:
    They got NOTHIN' for Pagan, Wiccan or even new age.

Sure would have liked a template that looks sort of like the _other_ religious templates. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually if you look in some of the other catagories - try personal & flash - they have some pretty cool ones that have a "new age" look to them and could be adapted into other things.
    Ebudae

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread