Tracking Converstions on Third Party Sites
    First let me say I apologize if this is not the correct place to post this. This is a HUGE forum and a little overwhelming for a new person.

I am an affiliate of a company and I am looking to track converstions of my PPC campaigns. I don't have any abilities to add any converstion tracking to the checkout page.

How do other deal with this?

One I idea I had was to create a page on my domain that has on my converstion tracking code on it. Then I would create an IFrame that wraps my third party website. I would then have the Javascript look at the page in the frame and if the page was the checkout page, for example checkout.php, then execute the conversion code.

Has anyone done anything similar?

I know I am not the only person who is dealing with this. My company tells me about new customers but won't allow me to add my own tracking codes.

Thoughts?

I don't do PPC so others may have better advice specific to that.

Most networks support a custom tracking code you can pass into the url. On ShareASale for instance I believe it is call afftrack. So you can build your normal affiliate links and just add an extra param to the url like:

http://SOMELINK?afftrack=my_ppc1_campaign

And each network should allow you to run a report that includes your custom tracking info.

Also, your Javascript idea will not work due to XSS (Cross site scripting) which is prevented by the web browser. You will not be able to use javascript from one domain (yours) to read content from another domain in say a FRAME or IFRAME. This would make it really easy for hackers to steal sensitive data which is why it is prevented.

Thank you for your feedback.

Yeah, I guess I can understand the cross site scripting issue. I didn't think of that.

My challenge is I am not using an affiliate network. While I am an "affiliate" of a company it's not in the traditional way.

I don't think you will be able to track conversions without their help. If they are using Google Analytics you might be able to add tags that they can track through to the sale. This would require them generating a report for you too. More info here:

http://www.google.com/support/analyt...n&answer=55518

Without the ability to track your campaigns I would imagine this affiliate relationship can't really work for PPC since you have no way to measure what works and doesn't.

Good luck. I would be interested to hear if you work something out with them to aide in tracking since this knowledge might come in handy for other merchants I work with.

Tom

I don't think you will be able to track conversions without their help.
    I agree with this. It is very difficult to "measure" the actual conversion on 3rd party sites.

You can only have intermediate check. Event tracking on Google Analytics will help in that.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread