Reapplying to merchants that have declined my application?
    I recently joined CJ and my "3 month EPC" is still marked as new. I've been declined by many of the big merchant programs like Best Buy, etc. I run a coupon site, so is it that they don't like coupon sites, or that I'm still pretty new.

At what point should I re-apply to these? How many earnings or clicks do I need to have to be accepted?

Any rough estimates?

Thanks!!!!
    Emilio

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Everyone gets declined at one time or another. Why exactly the merchants don't give reasons. Why not email the merchants and ask. Maybe some will answer but not always. Don't take it persoanlly, I have been doing this for over 10 years and sometimes I don't know why I am declined (or in some cases why I am being dropped) Anyway there are planty of merchants and there is always next year, if your not in this for the long hall anyway, what's the difference.
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

Some companies are dropping coupon sites or not signing on new ones. It seems to be this year's new thing to do. BestBuy is a good example, but don't get too upset. I've been with them for years and made about $100 total from them. There are equally as good electronic type merchants out there. Take a look at some on SAS. If you do start reapplying, don't do it too quickly or you could get blocked from doing it again. (I think maybe CJ doesn't do it, but Linkshare does for sure.) The suggestion to email them is a good one. At least it shows that you care. Good luck!
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Emilio

just pick other merchants, don't waste your time.

Certified Affiliate Manager sunshiner's Avatar
    Ya especially with Best Buy cause chances are you won't get credit for 90% of the time anyway.
    Cindy Ballard, VP of Operations, Greg Hoffman Consulting
    Follow Me on Twitter @cingroomer
    My blog, www.oldfartlife.com

Affiliate Manager
    From the Merchant's perspective there are a few basic reasons why big name brands seem to ignore the new publishers:

1 - A big name publisher has a big program. That means they work with a lot of publishers already and have solid relationships built. Also, they often do not want to put in the effort for a no name site (whether you are or not, the label of 'new' makes them think that way).
    2 - They may outsource their program management. As a result, it does not receive the attention it deserves.
    3 - It may not be clear to them how you can help their program. Email them and plead your case. I have found new quality publishers this way.
    4 - Coupon sites are a dime-a-dozen. They may want to diversify their program.
    5 - They decline you because they can. They are big brand names and everyone wants a piece of them. They can pick and choose because they get 50 applications per day.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono-Hammacher View Post
    From the Merchant's perspective there are a few basic reasons why big name brands seem to ignore the new publishers:

1 - A big name publisher has a big program. That means they work with a lot of publishers already and have solid relationships built. Also, they often do not want to put in the effort for a no name site (whether you are or not, the label of 'new' makes them think that way).
    What effort? What does a merchant have to do to include a new publisher?

That shows total ignorance if a merchant uses this as an excuse to not allow a new publisher into the program.
    Last edited by Julian; July 29th, 2010 at 10:22 AM.

Affiliate Manager
    I didnt say they were good reasons. Just reasons I have heard.

From the Merchant's perspective there are a few basic reasons why big name brands seem to ignore the new publishers.
    Based on what you listed, I only see one reason; arrogance.

Many of these "big name" merchants owe some of their success to the affiliate channel. To ignore the same affiliates that they were recruiting heavily a couple of years ago is fool hearty. When the competition starts to get a bit crowded at the top, their current affiliate base may find that there are greener pastures elsewhere.

Frankly I avoid the "big name" programs so that I don't have to deal with the arrogance, lack of support, ridiculous terms and competition from unscrupulous affiliates due to poor program management. As far as pleading my case, not necessary, "big name" programs are a dime a dozen.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Affiliate Manager
    Frankly I avoid the "big name" programs so that I don't have to deal with the arrogance, lack of support, ridiculous terms and competition from unscrupulous affiliates due to poor program management.
    There is a gray area of arrogance and protecting the brand. Though I will agree that they through their weight around more than they should, some things cant be avoided and I hope you can understand that. But I dont think that's the main topic here.

Seems this is a fairly sensitive issue. Didnt mean to start anything other than provide insight to the other side of the fence.

Seems this is a fairly sensitive issue. Didnt mean to start anything other than provide insight to the other side of the fence.
    Sorry Jono, my ire wasn't directed at you.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

ABW Ambassador
    You may have started something, but the responses aren't directed at you, or your program.

We just hate the way some (most?) affiliates are treated.

Affiliate Manager
    You may have started something, but the responses aren't directed at you, or your program.

I just didnt realize the feelings were so quick to ignite. Note to self: Never tick off the affililate community.

Just to clear the air, I try to treat my affiliates well. Their success is my (and my company's) success.

Just to clear the air, I try to treat my affiliates well. Their success is my (and my company's) success.

-rematt

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    A perfect example of this is that already this morning I see posts regarding 2 programs that were closed with zero notice to affiliates. I just can't imagine a merchant waking up this morning and deciding "hmmm, I think I'll close my affiliate program today".

-rematt

Certified Affiliate Manager sunshiner's Avatar
    It use to really bother me, but not so much anymore. I've been round and round with merchants about how they treat affiliates and I find either their pompous AM don't want to be bothered or they throw you a bone and expect you to jump on it...which I won't. Now, I promote the smaller name merchants and our members love it. Better customer service, better deals and over all better crediting.
    Cindy Ballard, VP of Operations, Greg Hoffman Consulting
    Follow Me on Twitter @cingroomer
    My blog, www.oldfartlife.com

Thanks guys, really good feedback. I think SunShiners strategy may help, offer coupons and deals from the smaller niche sites. Too much competition on the bigger sites!!!

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread