More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Get Webmaster's Block?
    I have heard of "writer's block", but I think there is also such a thing as "webmaster's block". For me, it happens when I pour all kinds of energy into a particular site, it seems to go nowhere, and then I abandon it for other projects. At some point I will often come back to the initial project, tweak it a bit, and if it shows promise I will then put in some more effort. Or just dump it if nothing happens. And other times things go far better than expected. I guess that is how it goes.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Sounds like me, I get an idea and run with it, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't fly at all. It is hard to abandon an idea you thought would work and it fails. I have no problem now scraping a site as I realize the more I work on it my other sites will not get the attention they need.

I think we are not just regular webmasters but "Affiliate Webmasters" where it is important to test and try out various angles, niches, ideas (thus websites) as much as possible to see which ones stick and are profitable. So I don't see it as a block but as part of the profession.

On that note, yes I do get webmaster's block as well but I see it with sites I don't truly have an interest in. The site that is truly my passion I see myself spending time on without effort and as result, it shows because it is my most profitable.
    Last edited by ladidah; July 28th, 2010 at 11:41 AM. Reason: phrase

How many domains do you have lingering around unused as a symptom of webmaster's block?
    Steven Clarke
    SeeksAdmin.com
    Join @ SAS
    Server Management Affiliate Program
    We specialize in making life easier for everyone. Focus on what you do best on the internet. We handle securing, optimizing, monitoring your servers 24/7! Commissions start at $45/sale + regular bonuses.

Affiliate Manager ParadigmWilliam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SeeksSteven View Post
    How many domains do you have lingering around unused as a symptom of webmaster's block?
    to many

I have so many ideas that never get put to anything. I have so many domains ready to have the idea put to use. I just say, "I'll get to that right after I finish this."

I usually come here when I get webmasters block.
    Last edited by ParadigmWilliam; July 28th, 2010 at 05:53 PM.
    [URL="http://www.manageaffiliatelinks.com/"][COLOR="Red"][B]Manage Affiliate Links[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Redirect Dead, Expired, or Broken Links

[URL="http://www.wpcoupon.com/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]WP Coupon[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Turn Wordpress into a Coupon Site!

Quote Originally Posted by ParadigmWilliam View Post
    to many

I have so many ideas that never get put to anything. I have so many domains ready to have the idea put to use. I just say, "I'll get to that right after I finish this."
    Tell me about it... Just had godaddy auto renew a handful of domains on me that I don't even use, nor have time to use. I wish I had the time for webmaster blog...more like too swamped to be created block for me.
    Steven Clarke
    SeeksAdmin.com
    Join @ SAS
    We specialize in making life easier for everyone. Focus on what you do best on the internet. We handle securing, optimizing, monitoring your servers 24/7! Commissions start at $45/sale + regular bonuses.

I have two domains just waiting for a bit of love...

Not sure if this is norm, but I find the process comes in waves...

I can easily (and enthusiastically!) spend every waking hour on a domain until it's complete. But then completely ignore another domain that only needs a few tweaks...

http and a telephoto
    I have a boatload of domains that I bought to point to my CafePress stores "back in the day". Some I can't let go of and will be sites that point to Loxly Gallery or just will have lil niche blogs on them.... when I have time....

(where's that clone I ordered???)
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly View Post
    (where's that clone I ordered???)
    Been waiting for my order too. I think about 3 should do the trick. Leaving me free to just relax some. But eh, the more clones I get the more I'd want to do and the more clones I'd need...
    Steven Clarke
    SeeksAdmin.com
    Join @ SAS

I have less than a hundred domains, so I'm okay, right...?
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Eathan View Post
    haha, how close to a hundred?
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eathan View Post
    Sort of like "I have fewer than 100 cats living in my house" . . . But I can relate. I get a little sheepish when people ask me how many sites I have .
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Been there many times. Not all ideas are winners so we need to know when to move on. We also need to keep moving though. I don't worry about moving on to other projects, I worry about running out of ideas and where to go next. I couldn't even say how many domains I've had but probably over 100 expired after the first year.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
    Sort of like "I have fewer than 100 cats living in my house" . . .
    Ha ha ha! Had a cat lady for a neighbor some years back. The biggest problem is that all the mice then look at your house like some kind of fortress.

We did let 50 domains go a couple years ago and I really miss 1 of them...

@Loxly: close :P
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    I will always have more domains then I can attend to - like everyone.

I don't consider any a failure

Even the ones that didn't make money were valuable in the lessons I learned from them

And the ones that are still in the daydream phase, inspire our creative juices which we may just use on an existing website

And since we are all entrepreneurs, no matter how silly the idea of our next "perfect website"... we can always say at least we tried (unlike most)

All My Best,
    Billy Kay

ABW Ambassador
    I only go get a domain when I'm ready to build a new site.

Of course, I won't get the best domain I want, but the second best(or the third best) works just fine for me.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread