double commisson for two affiliate network or merchants clicks
    if user click two affiliate links from two different network or two different publisher site, will the merchant pay the double commission to each publisher?

I am confused!
    Last edited by hugo; July 28th, 2010 at 09:07 AM.

No. Last click usually gets the sale, regardless of network.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

how to differ the different network cookie
    but if merchant joined two different network, so there are two different network tracking infomation and cookie and AID, PID etc.
    I think merchant will pay two commission. if not, how to differ?

Most merchants have things worked out so that only the "last click" will be credited. Sometimes this gets messed up, in which case the commission from the earlier click will get manually voided.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

The merchant can create a script to determine which network the last affiliate click came from and only fire the appropriate pixel. In instances where the merchant has not created an appropriate script to determine last click, they will probably manually void one of the transactions. It's very unlikely that most merchants will pay 2 or more commissions for the same transaction.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

I think Hugo's point is somewhat valid. If Merchant has high traffic inflow from Affiliate links, there may not be a seprate link installed. but it also varies from case to case basis. if the merchant offers CPC or CPL, it should have installed some filters to observe click legitimacy......
    [FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="4"]Craig Stephen[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [URL="http://Logoinn.com/affiliate-program"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="Sienna"][B][SIZE="1"]Logoinn.com[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL] | [SIZE="2"][URL="http://Logodesign247.com"][SIZE="1"][COLOR="SeaGreen"][B][URL="http://www.logodesign247.com/affiliate/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Logodesign247.com[/COLOR][/URL][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL][/SIZE]
    [EMAIL="affiliate@logoinn.com"][SIZE="2"]Contact Us[/SIZE][/EMAIL] | [SIZE="2"][URL="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=30741"][COLOR="Black"]Full [B]PPC[/B] Allowed / [B]30%[/B] flat commission / Unlimited Cookies [/COLOR][[B][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Logo Design[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR="Red"]24/7[/B][/COLOR]][/URL][/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by craigstephen View Post
    I think Hugo's point is somewhat valid. If Merchant has high traffic inflow from Affiliate links, there may not be a seprate link installed. but it also varies from case to case basis. if the merchant offers CPC or CPL, it should have installed some filters to observe click legitimacy......
    If the merchant doesn't have the technical ability to distinguish where their clicks are coming from, they probably shouldn't be on multiple networks.

-rematt

I use multiple networks as multiple layers of tracking. If I deeplink one network's affiliate link to another network's, the user is redirected twice (and two tracking cookies are set). In theory, only the last cookie should fire, but sometimes both do, so you have to use SIDs to keep things clean. You can really increase revenue this way (I did by 15%)

http://www.ericnagel.com/2009/09/dee...kie-trick.html

But, be honest with the merchant, tell them what you're doing and why, and get their permission first.

Affiliate Manager ParadigmWilliam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by esnagel View Post
    I use multiple networks as multiple layers of tracking. If I deeplink one network's affiliate link to another network's, the user is redirected twice (and two tracking cookies are set). In theory, only the last cookie should fire, but sometimes both do, so you have to use SIDs to keep things clean. You can really increase revenue this way (I did by 15%)

http://www.ericnagel.com/2009/09/dee...kie-trick.html

But, be honest with the merchant, tell them what you're doing and why, and get their permission first.
    You don't make sense, you brag about double dipping then you say to be honest and tell the merchant. No merchant in their right mind would be ok with this practice.

Also, if the merchant is on top of things they will just remove on of the commissions.

Just another reason why merchants should just stick to one network.
    [URL="http://www.manageaffiliatelinks.com/"][COLOR="Red"][B]Manage Affiliate Links[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Redirect Dead, Expired, or Broken Links

[URL="http://www.wpcoupon.com/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]WP Coupon[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Turn Wordpress into a Coupon Site!

ParadigmWilliam, I don't believe that esnagel's intent is to defraud merchants, but rather to compensate for the errors inherit in tracking many multi-network programs. The truth of the matter is that many merchants do not implement the appropriate technology to determine last click and many times affiliates lose legitimate sales due to this ineptitude. It also appears that esnagel is making every attempt to make sure that merchants aren't paying twice for the same sale (note: the same technology that would ensure that the last affiliate click would be credited would also ensure that the merchant wasn't paying twice).

That being said and being totally understanding of merchants that aren't quite on the ball, I'm not sure that esnagel's method is totally legitimate either. Technically, since the second cookie isn't set by a direct user action, some merchants/networks may consider it a forced click. I would certainly run this past the networks in question prior to implementing this "fix".

-rematt

ParadigmWilliam - when a tracking system misses 15% of the revenue I generate, there's a problem. (For the record, the systems in my blog post are not the ones that are missing sales - they were an easy example.)

This started as an experiment with 1 merchant who I work very closely with, as I saw clicks with an intent to buy, and never appeared in my commission reports. Since only the last click *should* count, I thought there would be no duplicates. As soon as I saw duplicates, I contacted the merchant & told them which sales to reverse, and we worked out a solution.

I guess someone *could* use this in an evil way, but that's not what my intent is. If a user clicks on an affiliate link of mine, and makes a purchase, I expect to receive commission. But when the network doesn't register that (for whatever reason), I feel robbed.

There's always talk about networks and merchants fighting against affiliates who aren't being "fair" - but what happens when fair-playing affiliates get cheated?

Anyways, I have scripts which run regularly to notify the merchant of any duplicated sales. The merchant tells me when the duplicates are removed, and if they miss something, I let them know. I believe an honest and open relationship between an affiliate and merchant is much more profitable than double-dipping on a few sales before being caught.

From what I've seen, more tracking problems are CAUSED by multi-network setup than I see with any one network.

When I see a merchant on multiple networks, I'm less likely to choose to work with that merchant.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    It is not a good idea to have a program running on two networks at the same time. You will get duplicate sales.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    To remedy this we use conditional representation which sees the incoming source referrer and only drops that cookie. When the sale is made the last cookie is used to determine credit for the sale and only one pixel is fired on the Thank You page. Where you get into trouble is having both pixels on the thank you page.

Eric makes a valid point and have work with him for several year. Found him to be very ethical even with PPC bidding. He makes a valid point. We moved a program to CJ and implemented a similar technique to insure all sales were tracked. Don't have the results but the program is killing it.

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    Heather, your giving this technology out to any one?

Or are you advertising a service?
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

Outsourced Program Manager
    Hi Bob,

PMG is developing affiliate marketing technologies such as the UniTrac™ for use only with our client accounts. We do not give out our proprietary technologies to anyone and we do not sell them as a service we utilize these technologies to assist in the professional management of our client accounts.

It's nice to see a discussion on tracking technology on ABW it is a rare but much needed subject and I would like to know if anyone of you know of any other agencies or marketing companies that are building tracking technologies to assist their clients?

I think Heather is performing both the tasks at the same time, if am not wrong.

Guys,

i'm merchant of CJ and GAN.

about manually void the older-sent customer.
    how i can do it? could you give me a clue to do step by step. your help would be appreciated.

thank you very much.

You need to contact the networks for that information, it would vary from one network to another.

Hello abud

Actually we have solved this issue please feel free to email me heather @ PaulsonManagementGroup.com

ABW Ambassador
    PMG's unitrac solution may the way to go. Not sure if PMG Unitrac is available for Non-PMG clients ..but it is worth checking with Heather!

Quote Originally Posted by Paulson Management Group View Post
    Hi Bob,

PMG is developing affiliate marketing technologies such as the UniTrac™ for use only with our client accounts. We do not give out our proprietary technologies to anyone and we do not sell them as a service we utilize these technologies to assist in the professional management of our client accounts.

It's nice to see a discussion on tracking technology on ABW it is a rare but much needed subject and I would like to know if anyone of you know of any other agencies or marketing companies that are building tracking technologies to assist their clients?
    Heather, does UniTrac do anything aside from detect the proper last click network, and fire the appropriate pixel? Heck, my developer created a full proprietary search tracking system that does such a thing, and could be implemented for a multiple affiliate program setup in about 15 minutes. I know that a few off the shelf ad tracking platforms do just that, and I know at least one OPM uses such a method, and has for years now.

On the subject of other agencies or OPMs building tracking technologies to assist their clients, the agency iMarketing Ltd bought TrackingSoft.com and its technologies a few months ago (more than just affiliate tracking, I actually used TrackingSoft's platform a few years ago for search & media campaigns), so they seem to be on that list.

Then again, I also know of an old OPM company (now part of something that rhymes with Schaaf) that apparently didn't have this ability (though I'm confident that Schaaf does - out of talking to all OPMs present at Affiliate Summit, their direct team pretty clearly has the best grasp of technical knowledge, no offense to anyone else here).

I'd say that my business partner/developer and I have the best technical knowledge in terms of affiliate tracking technologies, working with multiple networks, and the such, but we're no longer in the affiliate management game - the publisher side was just too lucrative, so I can't include myself in the list

Hi Joshua,

UniTrac™ is an important piece of the overall PMG technology portfolio. Our primary focus is to provide professional, reliable, scalable, enterprise-grade technology to our clients. We have posted a few of the features for the UniTrac on our website.

The current benefits and features are only a small part of our overall development roadmap. We look forward to announcing even more in the coming months on our blog.

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread