Thread: Live Nation via Ticketmaster - Any update on commissions?

Live Nation via Ticketmaster - Any update on commissions?
    I have had an affiliate link to the Ticketmaster page for a concert for which Live Nation is the primary seller. I get plenty of clicks, but as yet not a single sale. I know that at the time I added the link, the sale crediting code was still under development, but many weeks have passed. Is there an update on this? Any hope of ever getting commissions on Live Nation tickets? Having lost presales and first 24 hours of public sales, my opportunity at Ticketmaster has plummeted. It would be nice to get some credit for sending sales their way.
    ---
    Valerie Magee
    [URL=http://mageenet.net]MageeNET[/URL]

I'm not sure why I am bothering to post this since neither affiliates nor Buy.at posted anything in this topic so I have to assume that nobody is interested.

On 8/15, I received my first commission on a Live Nation concert (I have links to two of them at the present time). I don't get ticket purchases for any one concert every day, but since I have had 3 starting Sunday, I'd guess that the tracking kicked in very recently. It's very nice to get commissions on those concerts which might partly make up for not getting commissions during pre-sales or the first 24 hours. It won't make up for the fact that I am betraying the fans by not doing as much to promote concerts until after the first 24 hours have passed.

I have tried to get a dialogue going on both subjects, both here on Abestweb and via the contact form at Buy.at. The best I got was somebody passing on my inquiry, where it died. Until recently, Buy.at was very responsive on questions; I miss that.
    ---
    Valerie Magee

Hey shuvee, since I've noticed that you have been having continued issues for a while now with no response from Buyat or Ticketmster, I think you should go ahead and try calling them. I have Karishma's office number (she's in charge of the Ticketmaster affiliate program), it is 415-901-0211. Good luck.

Thanks jasiel. I have phone numbers too, but I prefer to use email or get information on forums like this. Making phone calls takes more time, and answers are not saved for later rereading.

Anyhow, my "issue" is resolved. With no comment, the Ticketmaster Buy.at program is now paying commissions on Live Nation ticket sales. My only issue is that it apparently takes a phone call to get any information, unlike in the past when they were very responsive via email and here. I will console myself with my Live Nation ticket commissions.
    ---
    Valerie Magee

Linking to Live Nation
    Hey Shuvee: Thanks so much for the update! I'm excited for you.

Just wondering if you link directly to Live Nation or do you link to Ticketmaster and let it redirect to Live Nation? I don't like redirects... seems sloppy.

I noticed that it does work to post a Live Nation link in the Buy.at LinkEngine, and it will generate a deep link. But... I don't want to waste my time if the Live Nation deep links are "dummies", and we only get paid for redirects from Ticketmaster links.

Thanks for posting here.

I use the Ticketmaster link. It is interesting that the Link Engine generates links direct to Live Nation ... but I haven't a clue whether they would work for commissions. For the other partners, they explicitly say to link to Ticketmaster, so I assumed Live Nation would be the same. In the case of Live Nation, they haven't said anything at all.

I suggest that you use the Ticketmaster link, and not possibly shoot yourself in the foot. Better safe than sorry.
    ---
    Valerie Magee

Affiliate Network Rep
    Please take a look at our most recent post here.
    Last edited by Amy Ely; August 20th, 2010 at 11:17 AM.

Yes, I just saw it in my email. Thank you for posting when you finally got a green light (but you might pass on to Ticketmaster, that silence when making unpopular changes is probably not a good way to build a relationship with affiliates).

I understand all the points, but I still think that the no pre-sale commissions and the 24-hour rule should not be across the board, but only apply to specific artists or venues - those that routinely sell out. By applying it to everyone, even events that sell for weeks or months, and often do not sell out, webmasters are tempted to not post on sale information until after 24 have passed. If we post promptly, send emails, and work hard to communicate, we lose half or more of our commissions. Furthermore, the webmaster has no motivation (other than being kind and spending time he doesn't have) to seek out pre-sale information.

I think it's sad and unfair that I get nothing if I diligently seek out the information as early as possible, and will get paid if I announce the information one day after the public sale has started - all this for concerts that take many weeks or months to sell out if they do at all.

I might add that on pre-sales I usually get my information from the promoter, radio station or venue and they appreciate the help I give them getting the information to fans they don't know how to reach. Now I would get nothing at all for doing this.

I think the thing that Ticketmaster missed is that for the non-top 100 artists (talking about concerts), there is a lot of work to do to get the word out. The top artists get lots of PR, radio mention, expensive ad campaigns, etc. The others are lucky to get one small radio station to plug them (often they are the concert sponsors). For these artists, getting the word out effectively takes work and that's where knowledgeable affiliates can make a difference.

If I am energetic, I will send these comments to that Ticketmaster email address you posted, but I don't feel encouraged.
    ---
    Valerie Magee

Affiliate Network Rep
    Shuvee -

I understand your frustrations and you are not alone.

Many affiliates are frustrated and we, at buy.at, are doing our best to share as much as we can as fast as we can.

In defense of the folks at Ticketmaster, they are really just trying to make the program as effective as they can. They are hoping that by trimming the affiliate base and limiting the payouts on tickets that would have sold anyway, they can make other changes to the program which will benefit both them and the affiliates financially.

As an example, we have seen programs go thru similar changes in the past and it led to larger payouts to affiliates, via increased payout tiers.

While I cannot promise this is the approach TM will take, I do know they are actively reviewing how they can make the program better for their existing affiliate base.

Again, I am sorry for your frustrations, and do think you should take the time to reach out to TM.

c3

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie.Calabrese View Post
    In defense of the folks at Ticketmaster, they are really just trying to make the program as effective as they can. They are hoping that by trimming the affiliate base and limiting the payouts on tickets that would have sold anyway, they can make other changes to the program which will benefit both them and the affiliates financially.
    Ironic, considering they already run one of the lowest paying affiliate programs on the planet..

If they're that concerned about their bottom line, they should just apply an additional $1 service fee to the buyers until 24 hours have passed.

The buyers are already getting slammed with service fees, would an extra $1 make any difference? Probably not.

Food for thought.

11. Newsletter Signup