to see how one of my sites is ranked and Alexa says for Popups: Many (11% of sessions have popups)

I don't have any popups.

Why is Alexa showing I do? </grumble>

Would having links that open in a new window be considered popups?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Maybe they're crediting you for all the popunders I have on one of my c*ntent sites.

It consistently says that site has NO pops at all.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Well, so long as your popunders link to my site I'll allow it to continue.

-Christopher Morley

One of my sites too got that "many pop ups" tag.

I wrote to them, insisted I have never ever served pop ups/unders/throughs on any of my sites and they were free to check it out both at present and through their own archive program but heard nothing back and the 'tag' still remains.

Is it just me or do webmasters worry too much about Alexa ? In informal surveys of friends/family and coworkers no one has ever heard of Alexa.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MrSpeed:
    Is it just me or do webmasters worry too much about Alexa ? In informal surveys of friends/family and coworkers no one has ever heard of Alexa. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I don't know anyone that uses Alexa for anything. The average user, as you note, is unaware of it and virtually all webmasters I know dismiss it as irrelevant, inaccurate and spyware.

Wayne

When we first starting using alexa,to check traffic,we had the option of adding pop ups ,since we don't like them, we use google to block them.Another point, in what was an old thread,this morning, when we activated ad aware, we found 181 parasites called bargin buddy,just a point to watch out for,this came after an offer from Mamma Media,they are not clear on what or who they advertise for,since we prefer to pick our own merchants, and products/services to put them in the shopping directories we created in each site,we asked for info, none came. That's my nickle for now.
    JJ

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Is it just me or do webmasters worry too much about Alexa ? In informal surveys of friends/family and coworkers no one has ever heard of Alexa. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't worry about Alexa. I just like watching my ranking number go down. But when my number goes up I stop watching for a while.

-Christopher Morley

ABW Ambassador
    If you're using Alexa traffic results to make business decisions concerning your site, I suggest that you verify the results with your Ouija board just to be on the safe side.

Wayne

thats a cracker Wayne
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> If you're using Alexa traffic results to make business decisions concerning your site, I suggest that you verify the results with your Ouija board just to be on the safe side.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL!

I only check Alexa for curiosity's sake, not to make any business decisions.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    July 18, 2004

Hi!

I think Alexa may have some value when
    researching new market niches.

Do a Google search on your area of research interest, then check Alexa traffic rankings
    on the top Google returns.

If you get Alexa rankings around 2,000,000
    or so then you have found a very lightly
    visited market niche.

If Alexa rankings are around 20,00 or less
    then you may have found a market niche that is getting some significant visitors.

Of course, it's the conversions that really
    count in the affiliate industry.

RadarCat
    http://www.os2warplinks.com

ABW Ambassador
    RadarCat, that doesn't work either. Seriously people, alexa does not work. I have two sites in the same niche. Site One gets 12x the traffic of site two, site two has an alexa rating of 12,000~ site one ~75,000.

With Firefox and other non-ie browsers now approaching 40% of traffic, Alexa is becoming even more ueseless.

IT IS USELESS!!!

Chet

You are in, or you are out ... choose!
    &gt;If you're using Alexa traffic results to make business decisions concerning your site ...

Agreed Wayne, those in the know don't make important decisions based on Alexa.

What is of concern though is uninformed users perhaps taking Alexa information into account when making their decisions. Therefor any incorrect information listed on Alexa could adversely affect that decision.

I think it is worth the effort to least try to correct listings soas to accurately reflect the target site.

Woz
    [url=http://www.dWoz.com/][b]dWoz[/b][/url] - serious webmaster tools & resources.

ABW Ambassador
    Not long ago there was an AM that announced a new program here in which he listed certain requirements including something based on Alexa.

He fell into the trap of looking at Alexa's hard numbers and believing they are based in fact.

Wayne

If I recall, 'Sitesell' uses Alexa as their main sales strategy. Don't know if they still do.

John

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by guam:
    If I recall, 'Sitesell' uses Alexa as their main sales strategy. Don't know if they still do.

John <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I only use alexa to see if my websites are tracking anything, I have to rely on google, ad sense, ask jeeves,etc.even the reports each program gives aren't very great, many clicks and hits, but the checks go elsewhere
    JJ

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Might be obscure to most novices, but Alexa is owned by someone that everybody knows....

And it's been my experience that the accuracy of Alexa for traffic depends on the Internet-savvy level of your target. If you target people who care about web traffic (like affiliates), they're more likely to be Alexa users (and impact your Alexa rankings). If you target apparel buyers, they're very unlikely to have the same perccentage of "have Alexa installed"...

So it's a very loose gage of things...

Within a specified realm - (making sire they all are exposed to the similar Alexa-use %) - like comparing online book stores - it's still a relatively good tool to see who's getting the traffic.

Just a spot check tool though... not accurate enough for serious IAM biz decisions.

"With Firefox and other non-ie browsers now approaching 40% of traffic"

It's not the case on our sites.

Ask 95% of the people on the streets and they'll never have heard of Firefox, Opera and all these browsers that web professionals are obsessed about.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread