i am trying to buy a domain name that expired a couple of days ago.

The whois data states it expired July 25 but when i try to purchase it from a register it tells me it's not available.

i have only purchased new domains in the past. am i missing something???
    dave

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    The registrar will hold onto the url for a while before releasing it. You can try to grab it in advance by going to places like godaddy.com and monitoring the url.

www.namewinner.com is a good place to try to reserve it, once it appears there. There are several places that try to grab newly expired urls on the day it is released, so reserving it at one place does not guarantee you will end up with it.

On names I really want, I try to grab them from a variety of sites.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Pool.com is another good one. If a domain is really good, it's good to use a service. If it's mediocre or fairly specialized, I've found that I can usually pick it up the day after Pool.com says it expires without having to use a service.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I've had good luck with www.pool.com for checking soon-to-expire domain names. You can search by keyword, exclude digits and dashes, etc.

And Netsol.com will allow you to back order a domain that is taken.

thanks, I'm checking all this out now and will let you know.

just an FYI:
    I owned this domain ounce.
    This past December 23rd i was logging into my hosting account and noticed i could not log on!

i called the hosting provider and they informed me that they transferred my domain to so-and-so in Atlanta GA. He called them and said he was the owner of the domain and needed the registrar info and hosting account changed to his personal name.

the only requirement from them was; he had to supply a letter stating he was the new owner of my domain name and hosting account.

So he faxed them a letter with my domain name in the letter head and bam they gave everything to him.

it cost me a few thousand dollars but finally got it all shut down. but the domain name was already transferred to another registrar.

My greedy Lawyer told me it could cost me between ten and twenty grand to sue the host and get the domain back.

So, figured that was good enough and i would Waite till the name expires to get it back.

Now i have all my sites on my own server.. and hope this never happens again.
    dave

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    It's at least 45 days from expiry date until drop date.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    The thing you have to understand is, when it goes to auction, there could be a buncha people bidding on that url - if you have a significant investment in it, you need to hit a number of registrars and cover your bases. Some of them will only allow 1 person to try to grab a url, while others, such as namewinner.com has an auction, and the high bidder gets their attempt to grab the url. Good luck!
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

ABW Ambassador
    Hi,

Just because you have your websites on your own server doesn't mean anything....you've got to make sure you lock them so they can't be transferred without your express permission.

Having your domains on your own server will not prevent them from expiring through your registrar, and may even trick you into believing you still have a domain that you do not.

I used to own www.website.cc and had it hosted on a server in my place of employment. Unfortunately, when I opened www.website.cc in a browser from work, it showed up just fine because it was cached on our server. Little did I know the domain had expired and I was seeing a ghost. That one hurt.

when this happened i had multiple websites with different hosts and different registrars. now i have all my domain names with the same registrar and on lock.

the funny thing was is that domain was on lock also. but the host unlocked it and initiated the transfer.
    dave

Ok I new to this but want to try it. Is there a way to see if the site you are buying is getting traffic or ranks in search engines?

I have a real niche site I would like to drive more traffic to through forwarding from old domains.

Also what's a good price range. I know this is a broad stroke on the subject. Be kind.

Thanks,

Spider Man

Check Alexa... check Google page rank... look it up in any search engine and see how many links there are... off the top of my head, there's a couple ways of doing it. There are some other ways too but I don't feel like digging in my bookmarks right now.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread