I'm so pleased to get an official Alexa ranking for my new site.

Since I haven't registered the domain, it has no DNS records, and it can't be accessed from anywhere else than my own computer it just shows how efficient Alexa is.

Perhaps if I work on it enough before publication, maybe I can start with a sub-1000 ranking?

ABW Ambassador
    I'd say it shows how pathetic Alexa is.

Let me guess.. you have the Alexa toolbar installed on your computer?

Sure do.

I've known about Alexa's failings for some time, but this is extraordinary.

I have treated Alexa as 'suspect', now I KNOW it's useless, so I think I'll reclaim that little piece of screen real estate.

Question is, will we ever be able to get accurate data on website traffic?

Oh no this is turning into an Alexa argument.

The only way to accurately track your own traffic is through the web stats on your hosting account of a third party tracking package like WebTrends Live that actually puts code on each page. But that.. of course.. is private information which is generally not shared.

I actually like Alexa's web statistics.. but the important thing is to understand Alexa's many limitations. The higher ranking a site, the more accurate the data. Visitor demographics vary, so only compare like with like sites. Alexa stats lag by a couple of days too.

I've give you an example - look at the traffic for AltaVista and Alltheweb and you'll see how their traffic collapsed when they started to use Yahoo! for search engine results rather than their own engines - the change happened in the spring of this year. Here, the Alexa results tell a story that's pretty much completely accurate - but then these are high traffic sites and you'd expect more accurate data.

So.. accept the limitations of Alexa. It can be inaccurate, easy to fiddle and slow, but it can be useful if you're poking around the competition or potential merchants to get a feeling for how big they are and how business is going.

Oh yes, check out Ranking.com for a similar product to Alexa which can be quite interesting, but the same warnings about accuracy apply.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Ranking.com looks interesting. Have to investigate further.

It's interesting how little difference there is in uniques between sites in the 10,000+ order and sites in the 100,000+ order.

They don't get their data from Alexa do they?

I think Ranking.com use their own toolbar in pretty much the same way as Alexa. Results are *very* broadly similar.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread