Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    http and a telephoto
    I have a bunch of frequent flyer miles (on Continental) and have decided that since the redemption amounts appear to be lower than last year, I would like to use them before it takes more miles than I have to take a free trip And that I want to use the miles to go somewhere that I would NOT normally go, and that doesn't require a Passport (otherwise I would go to England or Australia!)

So I am planning to go to Hawaii in Sept or Oct. I am a professional photographer, so I want to go where the tourists may not usually go And I need to know where the less expensive, but safe, hotels are, since I won't spend much time in my room and I will be traveling alone.

So, anybody have tips? I did a google search on photography tours Hawaii and got a wonderful seminar that teaches you fashion photography (NOT!!!) I also saw one for underwater photography, but I don't know how to dive, so I think that is out too.

Or do you know of another photography rich place I can visit for less? And get photographs that I can't get anywhere else?
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Greg - A friend just returned from his honeymoon 2 weeks ago - it was the second time he has been to Hawaii and returned with the best photos of the volcanos from a helicopter ride.

We've been twice and loved it!

If you go to Oahu, there are some cheap hotels in Waikiki (Waikiki Sand Villa and Waikiki Gateway Hotel). The rates are about $65/night, but can be a little less for some rooms and/or 7-day or longer stays. They're hotels with small rooms a few blocks off Waikiki beach in a very crowded (but safe) tourist area. They have free high-speed Internet in every room. You get the best rates by booking directly through their web sites. Parking is awful at these hotels. You can get around most places with the public bus if you want to skip a rental car. (A convertible is really nice, though--bring some Beach Boys CD's!)

On Oahu, I highly recommend snorkeling at Hanauma Bay. Do it early on your trip. You'll want to come back after you experience it once. Bring underwater cameras. Bring your own snorkel set (or rent one outside the park for about $10 per week).

Another good choice (albeit a little expensive) is the Paradise Cove Luau. I think it's somewhere between $30 or $50. Good food. Great entertainment. A more expensive, but more thorough version would be the Polynesian Cultural Center plus their Luau.

Pearl Harbor is also something you won't want to miss in Oahu. On your way back to Waikiki, a great place to eat is Bubba Gump's Shrimp House in the Ala Moana Tower.

Some good picture spots: Tantalus Rain Forest, Puu Ualakaa Overlook, Foster Botanical Garden, A Pali Waterfall, Nuuanu Pali Lookout, Lyon Arboretum, Honolulu Zoo, Waikiki Aquarium, Koko Crater Garden, Haiku Gardens, and the Dole Plantation. And of course you have the beaches too. They're everywhere. Diamond Head is another popular spot, but it wasn't worth the hike for me.

A helicopter tour (about $100 and up, I think) is another great way to get a good overview (and perhaps some good pictures). If you do it, I would recommend it early on the trip so you can adjust some of your plans based on what you see. Some of the boat tours are good (and quite a bit cheaper), too, but you won't see as much as from a helicopter.

The other islands all offer other unique aspects. The ones I've been to are a bit more expensive. Maui hotels were about $150/night and up. Kauai hotels were about $100/night and up.

For anyone going as a couple, I would highly recommend getting a Hawaii edition of the Entertainment Passbook for the buy one, get one free meals. It wouldn't be all that helpful for a single person, though.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    We lived on the BIG ISLAND for six years.

Get away from it all and take pictures from:
    Hamakua HideAway TreeHouse at Waipi'o
    $550 per week

send PM for more BIG ISLAND info.

ADDED
    Waipi'o Valley Pictures

Affiliate Manager
    Kauai! The garden island, small, and less touristy than the others. Have a beautiful, beautiful time!

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    Been to Maui and it was beautiful. I want to go back. There were many places to take wonderful scenic shots. Might not be too the cheapest island to visit though.

I've been to Waikiki and while it was nice, it wasn't the tropical paradise that I thought it would be. Big buildings, big shopping, tourist traps galore... it was like being in Toronto with a nicer beach. OK, it was better than that, but I guess I expected a more romantic version with palm trees, beach side luaus, and elvis getting LAI(d). I did get 6 tshirts for $20 though. (I think Waikiki must be the cheap tshirt capital of the world!)

Apparently Maui or Kuaui are the placed to go for the tropical feel. I did tour the big island and it was much more natural than Oahu. Some of the resorts there were pretty nice from what I could see. More secluded.

Hey if you want to give up on sun and sand, you can travel Canada from the USA without a passport.
    [font=verdana][b][size=3][color=red]Are you familiar with [URL]MaxBounty.com[/URL] yet?[/color][/b][/size][/font][font=verdana][b][size=1][color=black]
    Over 120 merchants with CPA/CPS programs seeking affiliates
    Over 4500 network publishers seeking programs to advertise
    Earn $100 per merchant and 5% per affiliate on the second tier [/b][/color][/size][/font]

http and a telephoto
    Wow, I knew you folks would come through for me! Great ideas, and just the kind of thing I need to know. I wouldn't have thought about the helicopter tours, I haven't ever been in one, but I think I need to put that in the budget!

The hotel for 550 a week sounds great, but I don't think I can rent a car (no credit cards) so I may have to stay near public transportation.

Anyone know how the public transportation system is or should I plan on taking some of the tours just to get to the places I want to go. The gardens, the zoo and aquarium will all be on the list!!! Are there any butterfly conservatories?
    Deborah Carney

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The hotel for 550 a week sounds great, but I don't think I can rent a car (no credit cards) so I may have to stay near public transportation. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    OMG! $550... soooooo expensive LOL

Not sure if you'll need a credit card or not (probably), but rent a scooter instead of a car, particularly if you're on one of the smaller islands.
    [font=verdana][b][size=3][color=red]Are you familiar with [URL]MaxBounty.com[/URL] yet?[/color][/b][/size][/font][font=verdana][b][size=1][color=black]
    Over 120 merchants with CPA/CPS programs seeking affiliates
    Over 4500 network publishers seeking programs to advertise
    Earn $100 per merchant and 5% per affiliate on the second tier [/b][/color][/size][/font]

Oahu seemed to have the best public transportation. They have bus routes that go throughout the Island. I think a daily pass was somewhere around $2-$4.

I agree with JP's comments about Waikiki. With all the merchants, it actually reminded me more of New York than Toronto. But elsewhere on Oahu, you can find the more tropical feel. Waikiki is just a small part of Oahu.

Oahu is the cheapest of the three islands I've visited.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    "I am a professional photographer, so I want to go where the tourists may not usually go."

That can't be done without a rental car.
    You will never see Hawaii. Waikiki is more like Miami with wall to wall hotels JAMMED up against a beach with 1000's of people.

Try this:
    Western Union Prepaid MasterCard

Good Luck

"OMG! $550... soooooo expensive LOL"
    Check out the Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows
    An Ocean Front Bungalow is only $5,600 per night USD

You can get around on Oahu very well with the public buses. Once you get out of Waikiki and Honolulu, you get away from 90% of the tourists. True, you'll need a rental car (or HIKING BOOTS, in some cases) to get to some of the truly secluded areas, but you could get to most of the areas I mentioned by bus. There are bus routes around the entire island.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

I haven't been to Hawaii but I have seen it on TV.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heyder:
    I haven't been to Hawaii but I have seen it on TV. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uh Huh! Remember when Greg was saved from drowning, but the bad luck continued for the Bradys when Jan found that freaky looking little idol at the Kipula Construction work site that Mike had designed! Fianlly in the next episode the kids deicided to return the idol to the ancient Hawaiian burial grounds and all was ok!

So Loxly ...

1) easy with the surfing
    2) avoid weird looking tiki looking dolls and
    3) whatever you do stay away from any one whose last name is Brady!

Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

http and a telephoto
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> 1) easy with the surfing
    2) avoid weird looking tiki looking dolls and
    3) whatever you do stay away from any one whose last name is Brady!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's big 10-4. Hawaii 5-0 out.

Deborah Carney

ABW Ambassador
    loxly,

My brother in law and sister in law, recently moved to Hawaii. My bro in law went to high school there and has a ton of family there as well, so he totally knows the place. If you PM me any questions, I can find out for you anything you want to know. They are on the main island, so I don't know if that's where you are planning on going or not (haven't been there myself, so I can't say).

Robin

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> but the bad luck continued for the Bradys when Jan found that freaky looking little idol at the Kipula Construction work site that Mike had designed! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Ok I've sat through two Brady Bunch marathons and I still didn't remember the name of the construction site - YOU'RE SCARY!!

I live on the Big Island so if you decide to come here just ask me any questions. Decent public transportation can only be found on Oahu. I would not rent a scooter outside of a city on a neighbor island - too dangerous. Look into bed and breakfasts for cheapest rates - the ones where you only get a room with a private entrance instead of a whole house like a vacation rental.

Big island has the active volcano, Kauai has the fantastic hiking and beaches that you can only get to by boat, Maui has the sheer cliffs and big waterfalls, and Oahu has the big waves on the North Shore in the winter ... There's also Molokai and Lanai ...

so much to talk about.

ABW Ambassador
    lisaweb:

When we lived Big Island we lived "Kona ssiide"

Our address was 6 houses North of the Fugihara store, Makai side in the Hookena area.

We later moved to the top of Old Tobacco Road next to the rain forest and overlooking
    Kealakekua Bay

Speak PIDGIN,yes can?

Hi Merchant -

What a great area! Unfortunately the traffic on Hwy 11 through all of South Kona is really bad these days. How long ago did you live here?

I live in Hawaiian Paradise Park on the Hilo side.

Other than the inevitable ya? at the end of every sentence and the pitch and tone changes I stay away from pidgin. My husband, however, can speak it like a local even though he is about the haoliest haoli you've ever seen.

ABW Ambassador
    We arrived in Hawaii January 27th, 1986 the day before the Challenger Accident when Ellison S. Onizuka died.

We returned to the mainland aka America in late 1991

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by loxly:
    So I am planning to go to Hawaii in Sept or Oct. I am a professional photographer, so I want to go where the tourists may not usually go <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Bring lots of film! Or d you shoo digital? You don't need to know how to dive. Oahu has Hanama bay where you can snorkel. Just bring along a cheapo disposobal underwater camera. If you end up in Maui, there is a snorkelling area by one fo the big hotels near the Whaler's Village. I was literraly breathless when I saw my first sea turtle! Wish I took more photos that day.

Enjoy the trip Deb! And post lots of pics when you get back!

I saw a couple turtles and an eel (and thousands of tropical fish) at Hanama Bay in our most recent trip to Oahu. I think we went there four or five times on our most recent trip. It's just incredible. It's definitely the highlight of our trip.

There's a volcanic crater (Molokini) a few miles off of Maui that's supposed to be even better. I'd love to see that next time. We were only on Maui for a few days and I had second degree burns (WEAR SUNSCREEN!!!), so I wasn't in the mood for more snorkeling then. We did enjoy the road to Hana, though. Some incredible pictures there, too.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

I live on the island of Kauai and I believe each island has own unique beauty whether it be on land or under sea. The best way to find out the hidden secrets of each island would be to speak and/or make friends with a local. The majority of the locals here are very friendly.

Just a little inside tip.

Aloha,
    Rusty K.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast