hello, i was refered to this site by a friend and i would like to know if there is anyone that can help me get started. I just can't seem to figure out how to get started with a web page, or where to find the information about how to get started. I would really apperciate anyone's help.

thank you

Do you know html? What is it you want to do with your webpage? That's probably a good starting place.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I got started by buying a book about making web sites. It was very simple and had lots of pictures, which was great for me because I'm very visual. I did all the practice exercises and by the time I finished I was ready to start my first published web site. When I realized I *still* didn't really know what I was doing I bought a more comprehensive book and learned from that.

Also, you could check out local continuing education programs or community colleges for classes on how to make web sites.

Start with HTML for Dummies.
    View the source code of site pages you like.
    Join HTML forums
    www.joeytomatoes.com :: Day Care For Your Brain

There are good free tutorials online. That's how I began over two years ago.

Simply dive into it as soon as you can so that you can become familiar and comfortable with using html codes.

Let us know how it goes.

I bought a WYSIWYG editor (programme to write webpages) and a book on how to drive it.

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Don't expect to make any money for at least a year! There are so many aspects to this that you can't just start from not knowing anything to making money to making serious to money.

You have to learn not only about html. You also have to learn about general site design, search engine placement, online marketing, cookies, parasites, to name a few. Once you have learned about all these topics, then you will have to remember you are going to be competing with people who not only know all these things, but have 3, 4 or even 5 years of experience on these matters. If you want to succeed, you'll have to perserveer (sp?). You'll be making no net money for at least your first year. If you are willing to put in the time and effort, then affiliate marketing can lead to some good money, but don't expect to take vacations on the money you earned through affiliate marketing for quite some time.

Mike
    Bovine Bazaar

I am slowly learning HTML...if you want to be able to start up a decent looking website without knowing a lot of HTML or actually none at all, you can look into Yahoo webhosting, that is where we have our hosting and they have easy to do site-building design tools. If you want to see an example of what I have done you can visit one of my sites...Freebie Village or The Credit Medic
    Other than that, surf a lot and see what looks good to you and check out the source code for those you like...it just takes time and sticktoitiveness!
    I am still a newbie, but learning lots and having a great time doing it!

thank you all for your responses!

i know how to use HTML and how to make a website,i already have a website up and going for my children, a dollmaker, but i am not sure about what i need to have for the web site as far as retail is concerned. I had heard from the friend that told me about this that you can make a fair amount but i am not sure how to go about setting up a website for that.

Even if you do have a grasp of HTML there are still many things that you still need to learn.

Effective marketing is probably the most important and that is something that most people really have to work at.

The people who suggested that it may take a year to actually begin to make a profit are being realistic. Competition here is fierce and more and more affiliates are coming into the market place every day.

If you want to start making a nett profit in that time you will need to work at it every single day.

Way too many people come into this industry thinking that it is a way to get rich quick - they don't realise that those days have long gone.

thank you for all your input, i realize that it will take some time, the problem that i have is that i have no idea about what needs to be put on a website and how to go about finding things to use on my site. I am totaly new at that aspect of things.

Here's what I would do if starting from the beginning.

1) pick a topic that you are interested in or know a lot about.

2) got to a keyword analyser page like wordtracker and determine if there is any traffic related to that topic - if so, proceed, if not, try again.

3) determine if there is any market related to that topic by checking for affiliate programs at the affiliate networks or independent sites you are familiar with - for example, if your topic was caring for orchid plants, I would look to see if there were affiliate programs for orchid seeds, live orchid plants, books on how to grow orchids, special orchid fertilizer ... etc. if so proceed, if not, pick a new topic.

4. pick an easy to remember domain name, preferably with a keyword in it.

5. Start writing pages based on your keyword research. Focus on the keywords that have less competition (probably less searches too, but that's ok)

6. Pick two or three affiliate programs only and integrate them into your pages - think text links!

7. Write as many pages as you can stand.

8. Read as many topics here as you can.

It took me over 5 years to start making any serious money with affiliate marketing, but no one ever spelled it out for me. I make decent, consistent money now, and the above is what I do.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread