Affiliate Manager maxwellgarner's Avatar
    To Host or Not To Host? ...that is the question.
    So, I'm starting a newsletter...and I've been doing comparisons on different services and software.

I've decided to go with phplist. Phplist has a new option where they will host for you, but I do like the idea of having the scripts on my server (sometimes I like to make upgrades :-). Really, my decision on whether to host or not relies on deliver-ability of messages.

I know that phplist is not going to give each hosted plan their own IP, and I know that people are going to SPAM from it...It's just a fact of life. So, with using the hosted option, I would most likely run into problems with my newsletters not being delivered probably due to ISP blocking of IP's, true? Also, the hosted option appears to be going premium, which is understandable.

So on the other hand, I can host it myself. Not a big deal, but I'm not sure what issues I can run into with sending small to medium mail-outs. Right now, my affiliate newsletters get mailed from my server and I don't have any issues, but what other issues can arise from hosting phplist myself?
    Affiliate marketing is not just a way to make money, it's a way of life.
    Maxwell Garner | Owner | [URL="http://creditcardaffiliateservices.com"]CreditCardAffiliateServices.com[/URL] | Phone - 407-504-5944

There are several benefits to using hosted services (I prefer Aweber or Getresponse over phplist).

One, you help make sure communications from your own server go out without any issues should you run into any blacklist issues as a result of spam complaints from your list.

When processing your mail, there is no effect on your server's resources - and as such no effect on the quality & performance of your website(s).

Hosted services tend to have better deliverability rates. Mainly because you're paying them to work at keeping their IPs off blacklists.

That said. If you have a dedicated server and have the means to properly optimize it for mailings. Plus can maintain/manage things such as spf, rdns, dkim. You can effectively setup a very powerful inhouse mailing system.

I run a server administration company and we still utilize hosted mailing services. One less thing to have to worry about keeping secured, optimized, and properly running.
    Steven Clarke
    SeeksAdmin.com
    Join @ SAS
    Server Management Affiliate Program
    We specialize in making life easier for everyone. Focus on what you do best on the internet. We handle securing, optimizing, monitoring your servers 24/7! Commissions start at $45/sale + regular bonuses.

I used AutoResponsePlus software a few years ago when I was determined to host my own newsletter(s). It's terrific software, has a bit of learning curve, but will do absolutely ANYTHING you would want.

I used it less than a year until I finally gave up.

The problems I had were:

1. I was using a reseller account with Hostgator and found I had all sorts of problems because it was very resource intensive. Got several warnings, though my account was never closed. Well, maybe once briefly, I'm not sure.

2. I spent a great deal of my days dealing with bounced email addresses, spam addresses that triggered all sorts of error messages.

3. I think I got two or three warnings from some ISPs accusing me of spamming and had to handle contacting them -- but it's been long ago enough that I might not have had as much of an issue as I remembered.

4. Mostly, all of this together convinced me that I was NOT enjoying my online life and the goals I had for that newsletter. I finally just quit.

Don't know whether you'll have all or any of these issues. But you couldn't pay me enough to self-host a newsletter again. Even though I have a "resource rich" VPS that I could use -- nope, just not worth dealing with all the bounces, angry idiotic rants from people who forgot they had signed up and so were accusing me of spamming, etc.
    Generate more fake news.

Gary put it very well. Save the headache. Outsource your mass mailing services, unless you have the dedicated server & IT resources to manage all the issues he listed and others.
    Steven Clarke
    SeeksAdmin.com
    Join @ SAS
    Server Management Affiliate Program
    We specialize in making life easier for everyone. Focus on what you do best on the internet. We handle securing, optimizing, monitoring your servers 24/7! Commissions start at $45/sale + regular bonuses.

Affiliate Manager maxwellgarner's Avatar
    Yeah, it sounds like that is the way to go. Thanks for the help!
    Affiliate marketing is not just a way to make money, it's a way of life.
    Maxwell Garner | Owner | [URL="http://creditcardaffiliateservices.com"]CreditCardAffiliateServices.com[/URL] | Phone - 407-504-5944

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread