Redemption Period Question
    I've read some of the threads on here about redemption periods for Domain names. I need a little help and push in the right direction.

I have a domain name I would like to own. On whois i can find this:

Domain Name: xxxxxxxxx.COM
    Registrar: WEB COMMERCE COMMUNICATIONS LIMITED DBA WEBNIC.CC
    Whois Server: whois.webnic.cc
    Referral URL: http://www.webnic.cc
    Name Server: NS100.WEBNIC.CC
    Name Server: NS101.WEBNIC.CC
    Updated Date: 11-jul-2010
    Creation Date: 31-may-2009
    Expiration Date: 31-may-2010

But, I still don't see it as available. What do I do now? How do I pursue it.. even on backorder?

Thanks group!

It's not available until it's "dropped" back into the public pool. During the redemption period, the original registrant has the opportunity to renew it if they pay a "redemption fee".
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

But with the expiration date being May 31, 2010, and the redemption period being 30 days.. June 30, 2010, and then the 5 day period. Aren't we there yet? Can I get "on a list somehow".. or do I just keep checking every day?

I believe there is "grace period" of (maybe) 45 days after the expiration and before the redemption period. I recall a couple domains on which I changed my mind about letting them go - and being able to renew them without any "extra" fees.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

But we are well beyond the 45 days. (May 31, 2010 + 45 days = July 15, 2010)

Here's my question: How do I get "in the queue" or how do I snatch it up the minute it is available? Additionally: Is there a way I can find out when it will be publicly available?

I see what you are saying Bill, how do I find out the exact timing of it being released or being able to "backorder it" for when it is released? Is the timeframe different from registrar to registrar? This one happens to be in Malaysia.
    Last edited by Lindy Rig; August 1st, 2010 at 12:55 PM.

The "timeframe" is set by ICANN (Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers) and you should be able to find specifics at www.icann.org. There are also a few "drop catchers" out there - which, for a subscription fee, will attempt to get the domain. A couple that come to mind are SnapNames and GoDaddy (Yes, GoDaddy has such a service). Some of the registrars don't seem to play by all the rules, however.

With some drop catchers you may not get the domain even if they are successful at picking it up when it is "released." If there is more than one person interested in the same domain through that particular service they may auction it to all interested parties - and the domain will go to whomever wants it the most (and has the most cash).
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..

Bill... that's a great help. Gives me some directions to turn. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Lindy Rig View Post
    Bill... that's a great help. Gives me some directions to turn. Thanks!
    You're welcome. Good luck.

ABW Ambassador
    It's about 75 days from the "expiration date" - http://www.wsmdomains.com/help/lifecycle.html

So you're looking at August 14th with this one, in that area. SnapNames is the best as far as drop catchers go, if it's one you think will have some other people going after it.
    Last edited by Trust; August 1st, 2010 at 01:58 PM.

Very interesting info. The domain I am interested in is listed as REDEMPTION PERIOD, however, a whois search gives me the contact info... name, address, phone, email.. etc. According the the chart which Trust posted.. that should not be available.

ABW Ambassador
    Here's one from the source, ICANN - http://www.icann.org/en/registrars/gtld-lifecycle.jpg

Maybe that info is still there and the first chart got it wrong, not sure. Just know it's 75 days.

So, maybe on July 15th (forty five days after expiration) we are NOW in the grace period of 30 days.. and then another 5.. so, August 20th.. ish. Thanks Trust!

ABW Ambassador
    No problem, just looking at those charts and there's a 5 day difference, so 80 is probably the right answer, not 75.

As far as drop catchers, if you're going that route, don't bother with GoDaddy. Heard nothing but bad things about them, not catching anything kind of deal. Every time I see this question asked about who's the best drop catcher, is always Snap Names followed by Namejets or Pool. I've been taking notes And everyday when names drop and I try to get names I want, when I don't and I check, it's pretty much always Snap Names that gets it. So if it's one you really, really want and there might be others wanting that one too, go with them. Or you can take the chance of it dropping, available for anybody to hand register (assuming the drop catchers don't get it/have that one on their list) but it's like a free for all, first one to get it.

Seems like a premium price just to bid on it with SnapNames. ANY name there (I tried ones I own) start at $59 when it becomes available. That seems like even if they are not AFTER it... if I bid through them, they will try to pick it up and pass it along to me at a premium. Sound correct?

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindy Rig View Post
    Seems like a premium price just to bid on it with SnapNames. ANY name there (I tried ones I own) start at $59 when it becomes available. That seems like even if they are not AFTER it... if I bid through them, they will try to pick it up and pass it along to me at a premium. Sound correct?
    I've never used them but I think that's how it works, others here might know more. I think you put the $59 up and then they'll go after it. If there are other people trying to get that name as well thru them and SnapNames gets it, then it goes to auction there and whoever pays the most gets it. If you lose, you get the money refunded. If it's only you, I think you just pay the $59. The thing with that, since you're the only one, you probably could have just let it drop and hand register it at your favorite registrar, for me GoDaddy, and it would have only been about $7. I'm pretty sure that's how it works, not 100% positive.

I have been in a couple of Expiring Auctions auctions at GoDaddy I think for domains either in the Redemption Grace or Pending Delete part of the cycle where I was bidding against others for the domains, I won, and have to wait a week or so because the original owner still had a chance to get it. If they did, I would get my money refunded. If not, it's mine. Got a couple of nice ones that way. But that's with the names thru GoDaddy.
    Last edited by Trust; August 1st, 2010 at 03:54 PM.

I have contacted the Registrar and asked them about their policies and dates so that I can track it through WHOIS. Their first question was "what domain name are you interested in".

Not going to give them that info... would be easy for THEM to pick it up (if they wanted to)... correct?

ABW Ambassador
    Check your PM in a few, will show how to find out the exact date it's available.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread