Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Just found this. More good news on the movement.

"Two California anti-spyware bills won committee approval Tuesday, one in the Senate and one in the Assembly.

Concern about the spyware [define] issue is growing, and consumers are pressuring lawmakers to take action. A recent study found the average computer houses roughly 28 items of monitoring software, unbeknownst to the user, according to Internet service provider EarthLink and Webroot Software.

SB 1436, introduced by Sen. Kevin Murray, D-Los Angeles, was approved by the Senate's Judiciary Committee Tuesday. The bill would provide for a $1000 fine for installing spyware on a California computer without giving the recipient notice. It will next be considered by the full Senate."

Rest of the article here:
    http://www.clickz.com/news/article.php/3349621

ABW Ambassador
    Nice find Linda.

However, probably like most other government programs it probably doesn't go nearly far enough.

Bob, you may be right but I extremely happy to see ANY movement at all on this issue and feel it's a step in the right direction.

As long as they leave affiliate cookies alone that is.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I hear Michigan is putting through some similar legislation. Just like spammers and Telemarketers the consumers demand the hidden spyware/adware perps get their balls handed to them via huge fines and chapter 11 filings. Anyone want to estimate the damage control when, not if, some of these reward/cash back BHO's cut and run with those unsecure member funds....
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Good news...

This is a huge problem. I'm working on my sister's PC right now. It was infected with a mass about of spyware. The computer had a mind of it's own. Surfing the internet was impossible with all the popup and software download requests. These programs basically make your computer useless. I'd like to bill these companies for the hours I wasted trying to clean up her machine. I can't imagine how many other millions of (not so savy) internet users are wondering why they have so many popups.

ABW Ambassador
    It's a step. What we need is Federal protection providing for fines and jail time for those who profit from spyware.

Like the Can-Spam law, it will do little to nothing to stop the problem since 180 Solutions, Gator, WhenU etc. will have their crap bundled in software originating outside the US.

For a State or National laws to be effective, it needs to also target those who profit from spyware, no matter where it originates. Threatening a programmer in a developing country will do nothing. Jail time for the smug bastards profiting from it will get their attention.

Wayne

ABW Ambassador
    July 15, 2004

Hi, All,

I just spent two full days cleaning garbage
    software off my sister's computer. She runs
    M$ Windows 98 and M$ Internet Exploder 6.

I then installed Zone Alarm, AdAware, and the Opera 6.04 browser and now her computer is running much better.

Too bad I lost two days that I could have
    used to build new pages for my web site.

I'd like to send those sneaks a hefty bill
    or up the river to a concrete and steel cell without electricity or computers.

I don't have a clue how to deal effectively
    with this plague of

SPYWARE/ADWARE/SNEAKWARE/THIEFWARE/PARASITEWARE

that moves to another country except to switch
    to other operating systems such as OS/2 Warp, Linux, BSD or MacIntosh.

The problem is not only sneaky software but
    also human nature. Someone somewhere will always figure out a way to circumvent the law instead of making an honest living.

Of course, web designers who doen't use W3C
    standard's will have web sites that won't work well without M$ Internet Exploder browser.

RadarCat
    http://www.os2warplinks.com

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    WASHINGTON — President Bush on Thursday signed into law a measure that imposes mandatory prison terms for criminals who use identity theft in committing terrorist acts and other offenses.

A criminal will serve an extra five years in prison for using a false passport in connection with a terrorism-related crime. Two years would be tacked on for ID theft in connection with other types of crimes.

Some 10 million Americans were victimized by identity thieves last year at a cost of $50 billion, making it one of the fastest-growing financial crimes, Bush said as he signed the bill at the White House.

"Identity theft undermines the basic trust on which our economy depends," Bush said. He said identity thieves "can steal a victim's financial reputation" by running up bills on accounts the victim never knew existed.

The law is meant to take away judges' ability to give probation, reduced sentences or concurrent sentences for identity theft linked to felony crimes. It was approved with bipartisan support. Lawmakers said prosecutors needed better tools to punish identity theft, especially when it is used to commit terrorist acts.

House Judiciary Committee Chairman James Sensenbrenner, R-Wis., says al-Qaida and other terrorist organizations increasingly turn to stolen identities to hide themselves from law enforcement.

The Postal Inspection Service, FBI and Secret Service have cracked down on criminal networks responsible for much identity theft. The Federal Trade Commission trains local law enforcement in detecting ID theft. The FTC set up a data clearing house to keep track of complaints and provide records to prosecutors.

The recently signed Fair and Accurate Transactions Act establishes a national system of fraud detection so victims can alert all three major credit rating agencies with a single phone call.

The heats on the privacy info peddlers and those phisher sites fueled with datafeed shopping carts and spam e-mail lists. All the spotlights seems to be focusing in on the affiliate industry.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador

July 29, 2004

To: Catalyst

Good info (and the clickz page actually loaded up in less than 5 minutes this time)!

However, there is big money involved and the
    spyware sneaks will just find ways
    to circumvent the proposed laws. . .

RadarCat
    http://www.os2warplinks.com

As a one time victim of a serious violent crime, I think we need to have a criminal justice system like they have in China - sans the political prisoner stuff.

You commit a felony you serve jail time - no probation or what.

You commit a 2nd felony or if the first one is what is considered a capital offense...you get a bullet in the back of the head.

You can appeal the verdict and the appeal takes less than one day.

There are NO three time losers in China.
    Same thing should apply here although I would stretch the appeal time to 30 days max.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread