Thread: 0 Commissions First 24 Hours

0 Commissions First 24 Hours
    Has there been any round table discussions between Ticketmaster and affiliates about the program change where we are not going to get paid commissions for targeted traffic that results in ticket sales in the first 24 hours tickets go on-sale to the general public on ticketmaster.com?

Can't ticketmaster.com issue codes to fan clubs, promoters and radio stations that could be input online by the customer so that ticket sales generated by their efforts can be tracked and attributed to them giving credit only where credit is due? It seems rather primitive to not pay affiliates commissions for sales that ticketmaster.com can track down to the referral URL and link ID and attribute to us.

Ranking in the top 3 positions in the search engines for events is hard work. It takes a lot of time to create web pages with unique compelling content targeted to drive traffic to ticketmaster.com for specific events. To not pay us for driving targeted traffic that generates sales in the first 24 hours is unconscionable especially when the commissions ticketmaster.com pays us are miniscule.

Please help me understand why ticketmaster.com has made this business decision to not pay us for ticket sales in the first 24 hours that our efforts help produce. Are we not valued partners?

Affiliate Manager Ian H - TicketLiquidator's Avatar
    Seems incredible that all your SEO efforts for a big upcoming concert tour or sport playoffs, etc, will be penalized during the busiest period.

[SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][FONT=Arial]Ian Hough.
    Affiliate Program Manager, TicketLiquidator.com.
    Contact: [email]ianh@ticketliquidator.com[/email][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    Don't let your work go to waste. Sign up and get paid for all sales: [B]Onsales[/B], last-minute, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by gusp View Post
    Has there been any round table discussions between Ticketmaster and affiliates about the program change where we are not going to get paid commissions for targeted traffic that results in ticket sales in the first 24 hours tickets go on-sale to the general public on ticketmaster.com?
    No.

Can't ticketmaster.com issue codes to fan clubs, promoters and radio stations that could be input online by the customer so that ticket sales generated by their efforts can be tracked and attributed to them giving credit only where credit is due? It seems rather primitive to not pay affiliates commissions for sales that ticketmaster.com can track down to the referral URL and link ID and attribute to us.
    It's not so easy. Ticketmaster already issues codes/passwords, but those are published all over the web, most unfortunately on (used to be free) password sites. Ticketmaster does not see any benefit from those sites and also feels that the passwords are being used by a wider audience than intended.

Ranking in the top 3 positions in the search engines for events is hard work. It takes a lot of time to create web pages with unique compelling content targeted to drive traffic to ticketmaster.com for specific events. To not pay us for driving targeted traffic that generates sales in the first 24 hours is unconscionable especially when the commissions ticketmaster.com pays us are miniscule.
    They don't care. Your only recourse is to stop driving traffic during pre-sales and during the first 24 hours.

Please help me understand why ticketmaster.com has made this business decision to not pay us for ticket sales in the first 24 hours that our efforts help produce. Are we not valued partners?
    Their reason, although not stated, is probably because they are tired of paying commissions on concerts that will sell out immediately anyway. And no, I don't think they consider us as "valued partners", at least not enough to treat us fairly.

My suggestion (which nobody responded to) was that they only enforce this new policy on specified concerts (or artists), and pay commissions for the rest of the concerts. As it stands now, it would be stupid for an affiliate to provide pre-sale passwords (I get mine from the radio stations, venues and promoters in most cases, to share with fans, so Ticketmaster's alleged reason does not apply), or to announce concert on sale dates before the fact. Most of my sales (to concerts that rarely sell out) are during pre-sale and the first 24 hours when there is no pre-sale, so I can choose between helping the fans and earning almost nothing, or being slower about posting. I don't have the time to promote pre-sales or first day sales as a charitable contribution to Ticketmaster. I am very unhappy with their new policy and more so because they seem to have no interest in having a dialogue with us.
    Last edited by shuvee; August 5th, 2010 at 10:14 AM.
    ---
    Valerie Magee
    [URL=http://mageenet.net]MageeNET[/URL]

In the past 4 days I have lost 13.33% commissions due to 0 payment for first 24 hours of on-sales. That is money in their pocket taken from mine.

In the past 4 days I have lost 13.33% commissions due to 0 payment for first 24 hours of on-sales. That is money in their pocket taken from mine.
    Join the club! I still don't understand how they can institute this type of change without any sort of notification to the affiliates.

Programs on CJ that make any sort of changes will update their T&C, and alert you to approve the changes.

I've never received any sort of e-mail from buy.at about this - Had I not stumbled onto this forum, I'd still be in the dark!

And the also what amazes me is that our buy.at rep has not joined in the discussion of the thread.

They sent out emails on July 9th and on the 20th. You can read more here: http://www.abestweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134781

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy View Post
    They sent out emails on July 9th and on the 20th. You can read more here: http://www.abestweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134781
    It sounds like that e-mail only went out to people who were kicked out of the program. I wasn't kicked out of the program, therefore I never received that e-mail.

My issue is with the lack of communication about the changes they made.

Affiliate Network Rep
    Hey everyone -

Charlie here with the buy.at team. We have been asked to go radio silent, by the client, while they worked out the specific changes to the program. However, based on the number of people asking questions we have received permission to touch base publicly.

There are a couple key points to discuss here...

1 - the culling of a large number of affiliates
    2 - changes to the TM program terms of service

The Cull:
    The merger of Live Nation and TM has led to a mass restructuring of the program. They have decided to reduce the size of their affiliate base, citing the need to create personal relationships with each of the affiliates who remain after the culling. Criteria for rejection vary and include brand alignment, size of organic traffic, promotional method, and a number of other metric based statistics.

Changing of Terms:
    I think we can all agree that a good affiliate program is meant to drive incremental revenue for the advertiser.

Historically TM had no controls related to sale timing and its associated commissions. After a deep review of their data they discovered/deduced that the incremental revenue was not in line with expectations.

Tickets being sold prior to the onsale date time (or presale as they are commonly referred) are tickets that are usually sold very quickly regardless of promotional method. Thus, paying out commissions on tickets that would have sold regardless of the affiliate promotion added no incremental revenue to TM.

Most major selling shows and tours (ex. Lady Gaga, U2) sell out very quickly. They sell out quickly due to the popularity of the artist and a venue can sell out in minutes. In Ticketmaster's view, tickets being sold in the first 24 hours of going on sale would occur whether the affiliate community pushed the tickets or not.

It is TM's view that implementing these constraints, such that ticket sales will only be commissioned after the first 24 hours they are onsale, will ensure true ROI.

Although TM may not be able to disclose all the criteria related to how they made these decisions, related to culling and changes in the T's and C's, they are open to answering questions as best they can, and you may contact them on Affiliates[at]ticketmaster.com.

As a network we are here to support both the affiliates and the advertisers. Please know we have provided strategic suggestions; however, Ticketmaster ultimately made decisions based heavily on internal data of which we are not privy.

c3
    Last edited by Amy Ely; August 20th, 2010 at 11:19 AM.

Charles,

So are all events subject to the "first 24 hour exemption", or is it only for major shows? If it's limited to specific events, how do we as affiliates know which events are non-commissionable?

I don't want my staff wasting their time promoting a show if it turns out there's nothing in it for us.

Affiliate Network Rep
    All events are now subject to the 24 hour rule - the rule was created around the idea of the major show but is applicable to all shows

Regarding the first 24 hours 0 commissions:

If an event has both a pre-sale date and an on-sale date to the general public such as this example below when does the 24 hours 0 commissions blackout period begin and end?

On-sale to General Public:

Start: Sat, 08/28/10 10:00 AM PDT

XYZ VIP Experience Pre-sale:

Start: Wed, 08/25/10 10:00 AM PDT
    End: Fri, 08/27/10 10:00 PM PDT

Affiliate Network Rep
    Gusp -

Ignore anything presale...as they are non-commissioned at this time...so

On-sale to General Public:

Start: Sat, 08/28/10 10:00 AM PDT

Commission is earned

Sun, 8/29/10 10:00 AM PDT

24 hours after the start of the general on-sale

IT'S SIMPLE...............

Ticketmaster didn't want to pay over $100,000 per year to it's top affiliates so they chopped their heads off.

Now those x-affiliates still pimp the shows, but don't get paid for it..

15. Newsletter Signup