Domain Salvage Value
    I will have a chance to pickup a domain for a company that I co-founded back in the 70's. It's catfishwholesale.com and has closed down. The owner want's to let the name die. I built the website a long time ago and control the hosting and name already.

I don't think it gets much traffic, and can't see why anyone would want that name. I may keep it alive for nostalgia, but was wondering if anyone would have ideas. The name expires in September.

OMG, John. That domain is nearly seven years old. A little work on that site and it can attract some nice traffic. And traffic can be monetized!!! Even AdSense could produce some nice $ with a site about Catfish and Louisiana Seafood - especially in light of the oil spill.

Now, I know that you like to work with datafeeds and there might not be a good match in that niche. But adding some pix (istockphoto or dreamstime) to those pages and some creative writing could build that into a profitable little site (without too much investment in time or money). Hmmm...how many "fish checks" can we find???

Seriously, people do search for these things - and seafood topics provide a page full of ads on a Goog search. Ask me how I know. Do a G-search for - steamed crabs - a generic and popular term - and you will see the right side of the page is full (and maybe one or two of those sites on the first page might be mine. )
    Last edited by Bill; August 6th, 2010 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Add another thought.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

second the motion -- too good to let die

http and a telephoto
    I wouldn't let it go. I'd take it! lol.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Dang, don't sit and let that slip away. Even as a little mini-site it would be quite easy to monetize... with adsense as Bill says, and considering the type of visitors it would attract (restaurant owners most likely), it would make plenty of sense to build it out with sub-storefronts selling restaurant supplies and other food-related items.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Quote Originally Posted by loxly View Post
    I wouldn't let it go. I'd take it! lol.
    There ya go, John, a couple of other options. You could give it to someone or sell it. If you were to just let it expire, being that it's old and has a site, it would likely end up being snagged by a drop-catcher.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Well with all the unanimous input I've been definitely challenged to make good use of it. I'll be renewing it before it comes due. I've been lacking imagination lately and you all have helped. Thanks!

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread