WordPress 3 for static web site (WP Pages)
    I am still using M$ FrontPage 2000, which is very long in the tooth. Contemplating installing an "AddOn" domain (I have another domain name I can use for learning/testing) in cPanel and installing WordPress 3 for that AddOn Domain, so I can learn how to use WP. Moderators: I'm not a blogger and know that this is a Blogging area, so if there is a better place, please move my post.

Questions: (a) Will that cause a problem with the M$ FrontPage Server Extensions which are installed for the primary domain?

(b) Which Plug Ins, in addition to WPSuperCache, would you suggest for a Static web site?

(c) Which Plug In(s) for Automatic Update and Backup?

(d) Which Plug In(s) for SEO and SEF?

(e) Which free WP Theme?

(d) How do I put Affiliate Links or other things that are HTML, into WordPress Pages?

Absolute WordPress Newbie here..... TIA Lanny

http and a telephoto
    Split from the other thread because this is not WP3 specific. If you read the blogging forum you will see a lot of your questions answered already, many of the answers are "it depends".

The plugins and themes you use will be personal to your site.

WP does not mess up FP extensions.

You can put html into pages or posts.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lanny View Post
    Questions: (a) Will that cause a problem with the M$ FrontPage Server Extensions which are installed for the primary domain?
    MS is not supporting FrontPage extensions anymore. One of the hosting companies that I use is dropping support for them too.

loxly and John Powell - Thank you
    Thank you both for replying! I will search the forum, to try to find the answers to some of my questions. The M$ FrontPage Server Extensions were EOL, several years ago, but they are included in cPanel. I have 3 sites (smallest to largest) that do not have the Server Extensions installed; but my oldest site has something in it that does use the Server Extensions. I'd like to get away from that and M$ FrontPage and find something that my wife can also use and understand, in the process.

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    If your into FP (or used to be) your hosting might be on a Windows server. If that is the case some of Wordpress might not work completely properly.

But others can probably tell you more about that.

Wordpress works best in a LAMP environment on a Linux machine.

You might want to buy some Linux hosting to mess around with it. And then if it all works good move your other sites over.

But that will depend on site structure, pagerank and doing 301 redirects if you go that far.

Dont worry too much about themes, plugins, and caching and things like that. Walk before you can run. And you may never need caching.

@andbeyond - I'm using Linux shared server
    @andbeyond - No, I'm using a Linux Shared server, with cPanel on it. cPanel has the M$ FrontPage Server Extensions, which I need for my oldest web site, but not the newer ones.

Your message brought back memories. When I began my first web site, I signed up for a Windows Shared server, because I was going to use M$ FrontPage. Never could publish to that account. Since then, always on Linux servers and no problems publishing.

I use Frontpage and wordpress on linux shared hosting, no problems. I would suggest at least upgrading to Frontpage 2003, there were a lot of improvements over the 2000 version.

For the question a; Will that cause a problem with the M$ FrontPage Server Extensions which are installed for the primary domain? MS is not supporting FrontPage extensions anymore. One of the hosting companies that we use is dropping support for them too.I use Frontpage and wordpress on linux shared hosting, there is more improvement in latest version than the 2000 versionI would suggest at least upgrading to Frontpage 2003.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread