Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    Tracking Actual Keywords Searched in Yahoo?
    Naturally one of the best ways to find negative KW is to look at what people are searching and what is not converting.

I am having the hardest time in Yahoo. Anyone know how to actually find the actual keyword searches people did to get your ad?

Thanks!
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Hi Matt, what you want to do is monitor your keyword referrals. There are many ways to do that, using free stats programs such as Google Analytics, GetClicky, HitTail, etc.

For example, setup hittail using the free version. Let the stats run for a day. Then go and look at the referrals just from yahoo. Using hittail you can do this by clicking the "Long Tail" tab and then selecting only yahoo.

Simply read through the list, and make some decisions which ones you want to negate.

Basically ... choose a stats program that shows you your referring urls/keywords. Then view only yahoo referring urls/keywords - based on how that stats program works.

Google Analytics, Awstats
    I haven't tried to do that with Google's Analytics, but it may be possible to break out the stats for Yahoo. In Awstats, it ranks the most popular keywords, but, again, not broken out by source.

Yahoo! has something like Google's Webmaster Tools, but as I write this, I cannot remember what they call it. Not sure if you could find this data, on the Yahoo! site.

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    My fault. I should have been more clear. I am specifically referring to Yahoo SM PPC.

If I did it by referrer it would include natural search results. I want to know specifically for PPC.
    Last edited by Matt McWilliams; August 10th, 2010 at 10:15 AM.
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread