Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    More spammers or less mods?
    Has anyone else noticed that there are more spammers around lately? Or are the night-owl mods just not here as much?
    Last edited by kaizen; August 9th, 2010 at 05:18 AM. Reason: can't speel

I don't have numbers to back it up, but it sure seems like we've been a popular destination of late.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by kaizen View Post
    Has anyone else noticed that there are more spammers around lately? Or are the night-owl mods just not here as much?
    Yes, and yes...

And also, many of the regular old members are no longer as active as before, around here...

http and a telephoto
    I logged in last night and whacked a number of spammers, and it was the first thing I did this afternoon. The spammers have us on their radar and we take care to keep them from your view as quickly as we can. We have a diverse group of Moderators that are online at various times and we do what we can
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

It has to be really confusing to newbs to see one guy get banned for a link drop and others do it with out any problem. It gets confusing to not-so-newbs, like there's some change we missed.

You guys do a great job and I appreciate that. I just happened to notice that there seem to me more of the cretins about and that there are less mods around during the wee hours lately. Leader and a couple of others used to prowl most of the night shift.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by 2busy View Post
    It has to be really confusing to newbs to see one guy get banned for a link drop and others do it with out any problem. It gets confusing to not-so-newbs, like there's some change we missed.
    Hit the report button and the next mod to check email will whack em.
    Deborah Carney

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    It's neither more spammers NOR less mods

It's the GRAYING of the current mods - their eyes are the first to go, and their reflexes are slower then the old days

Have you SEEN Merchant Consulting Team recently? LOLOLOLOL

ABW Ambassador
    >>>bonk<<<

Hit the report button and the next mod to check email will whack em.
    I sometimes think the mods get tired of my hitting that button, it seems like it's at about 5 reports submitted for every post I ever make. (lol) And some of them are still there days later anyway so it makes you think maybe there's some reason for it being left there.

http and a telephoto
    Sometimes we assume someone else got it.... never get tired of them being reported. We get tired of the spammers period....
    Deborah Carney

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy View Post
    I sometimes think the mods get tired of my hitting that button, it seems like it's at about 5 reports submitted for every post I ever make. (lol) And some of them are still there days later anyway so it makes you think maybe there's some reason for it being left there.
    I highly doubt that's the case. Not sure about other mods but I rarely even notice who reported the spam. Reporting the spam is what matters, not who reported it.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

anyuta
    This message has been deleted by BurgerBoy. Reason: spam
    Did anyone else see the humor in that one given the thread topic?
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hoffman Consulting View Post
    Did anyone else see the humor in that one given the thread topic?
    Yup, just saw it and it made me chuckle. Spam is not really a funny matter but it was ironic that a spammer hit this thread this morning.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Overnight has always been a heavy time for spam. It's daytime in the parts of the world where most of the spam comes from, so it's much heavier then. The first mod on in the mornings almost always has a bunch to clean up.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Can you bring on any mods who live in europe/australia/nz which would naturally be on during those hours?

As new member to the forum, I think that there is an understanding based on the busy nature of this forum. It is an issue to me, but not out of control ... yet. I also see the moderators here involved, so there is awareness that things are not running wild here.

I have very helpless for spam

Forum admins should be from all time zones, than there will be no night for AWB forum. :-)

If you are interested, I can help time to time with spam fighting. I'm from European Union (GMT+1)
    [SIZE=3][FONT=Arial]Viktor Zeman[/FONT][/SIZE]
    [B][URL=http://www.qualityunit.com/]Quality Unit [/URL][/B] Founder and [B][URL=http://www.qualityunit.com/postaffiliatepro/]Post Affiliate Pro[/URL][/B] developer

It could be that the amount of spam has not increased but there is a perception of increased spam since overall there is a decrease in "real" posts. (Real posts being non-spam posts).
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy
    NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing

Quote Originally Posted by mellie View Post
    It could be that the amount of spam has not increased but there is a perception of increased spam since overall there is a decrease in "real" posts. (Real posts being non-spam posts).
    Good observation, Mellie. Summer is usually a slow time for our USA-posting-members but that may not be reflected by areas of the world that produce the most spam.

There were several "reported posts" over night. When I checked about 6:00 a.m. I saw that B/B had zapped them all. But since then I have zapped a couple more.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Quote Originally Posted by mellie View Post
    Not accurate on either account. Posting levels have increased over the same period last year, but spam levels have increased considerably more.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Nevermind
    Last edited by mellie; August 13th, 2010 at 10:18 AM.
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy
    NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing

I think the SPAMMERS have just gotten dumber and less creative which means that they're more annoying. I'd just like to see a SPAMMER that can put together a complete sentence.

Why not have a SPAM out. A contest to see which SPAMMER can create the best SPAM. We can have a sub-forum just for them and they can SPAM the hell out of each other (sort of like that other forum). We can have daily/weekly/monthly awards for the best (and worst SPAM). Winners will have 24 hours to do their worst (in their sub-forum of course) losers will be IP banned forever.

They ain't goin' away, we might as well have some fun with them.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Quote Originally Posted by rematt View Post
    I think the SPAMMERS have just gotten dumber and less creative which means that they're more annoying. I'd just like to see a SPAMMER that can put together a complete sentence.

Why not have a SPAM out. A contest to see which SPAMMER can create the best SPAM. We can have a sub-forum just for them and they can SPAM the hell out of each other (sort of like that other forum). We can have daily/weekly/monthly awards for the best (and worst SPAM). Winners will have 24 hours to do their worst (in their sub-forum of course) losers will be IP banned forever.

They ain't goin' away, we might as well have some fun with them.

-rematt
    Too funny!
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Is their not a way to have new users post verified before they go live??
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast