1800 contacts dumping affiliates
    Check your status.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Well, it looks like it is mainly coupons sites getting dumped. Idiots.
    Last edited by leeann; August 9th, 2010 at 01:24 PM.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    They dropped my coupon site back on June 24th. The only way I knew about it is looking at CJ Mail tab. I got no notice on my external email that everything comes to. In fact, now that I think about it, I can only see CJ affiliate termination emails by looking on the CJ email tab. I wonder if that's on purpose? I get promo emails from just about every one of my CJ merchants at my external email inbox, but don't get a single affiliate termination email there.
    Last edited by Uncle Rico; August 9th, 2010 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
    They dropped my coupon site back on June 24th. The only way I knew about it is looking at CJ Mail tab. I got no notice on my external email that everything comes to. In fact, now that I think about it, I can only see CJ affiliate termination emails by looking on the CJ email tab. I wonder if that's on purpose? I get promo emails from just about every one of my CJ merchants at my external email inbox, but don't get a single affiliate termination email there.
    Yep, same deal here and the terminated affiliate links still go to the merchant's pages. It's a real scam.
    Last edited by leeann; August 9th, 2010 at 01:42 PM.
    leeann

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by leeann View Post
    Yep, same deal here and the terminated affiliate links still go to the merchant's pages. It's a real scam.
    we can still detect it thru the invalid links page, can't we?

I got dumped & I am not a coupon site.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Very true. Instead of removing merchants from my database, I opt to set a flag to inactive. When the flag is set to inactive, the "1800Contacts coupon xxx" page remains, but all affiliate links to 1800contacts are removed and the contents of the page switches to a list of other contacts merchants.

"we can still detect it thru the invalid links page, can't we? "

Yes. But even a day of it is costly to affiliates. If the merchant fails to contact affiliates in the usual way communications are sent, then it could be a few days before affiliates check the invalid page information. Merchant's know this and take advantage of it by not communicating directly w/ affiliates.
    Last edited by leeann; August 9th, 2010 at 01:47 PM.
    leeann

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7 View Post
    I got dumped & I am not a coupon site.
    When did you find out Rhia?
    leeann

Very true. Instead of removing merchants from my database, I opt to set a flag to inactive. When the flag is set to inactive, the "1800Contacts coupon xxx" page remains, but all affiliate links to 1800contacts are removed and the contents of the page switches to a list of other contacts merchants.
    Hmmm...good idea
    leeann

I'm tempted to post a notice on my 1800 contacts page that they are no longer giving online coupons.
    leeann

When did you find out Rhia?
    It would be about 2 and 1/2 weeks ago [I'm on vacation]

I remember a thread about this and I remember not being affected but then when I checked again I was dumped.

To be fair to 1-800 Contacts I was not one of their recently most active affiliates but in interest to this thread I represent a type of affiliate webmaster who likes to create "content sites" and who then works links/product links/banners/etc. within the site.

It looks as if 1 800 Contacts wants to dump everyone and start out clean?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7 View Post
    It looks as if 1 800 Contacts wants to dump everyone and start out clean?
    I just checked a few of the top coupon sites and it appears like they are at least dropping coupon sites across the board.

I received a letter in the past 14 days saying how great we were doing and how they wanted to communicate on a regular basis to grow even more. They picked a strange way to try to grow "our" business together. I'd write to them, but why bother. It's an insane business decision.
    Last edited by leeann; August 9th, 2010 at 02:12 PM.
    leeann

I just checked a few of the top coupon sites and it appears like they are at least dropping coupon sites across the board.
    Coupon sites *PLUS* +
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I'm not an affiliate but I wonder if the fact that they are now available at Wal-Mart has anything to do with it.
    :rankn-scp John - This is our chosen profession. This is our way. This is what we do.

I wonder if they are having money problems.
    leeann

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    Am I missing something, what's wrong with coupon sites?

I saw a competitors pet program do that also
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by PetsWarehouse.com View Post
    Am I missing something, what's wrong with coupon sites?

I saw a competitors pet program do that also
    Nothing is wrong with coupon sites other than they are too popular. A small handful of merchants think that you should have pages of text talking about them (that people looking for deals could care less about) in order to earn commissions.
    Last edited by leeann; August 9th, 2010 at 06:50 PM.
    leeann

ABW Ambassador
    "we can still detect it thru the invalid links page, can't we? "

Yes. But even a day of it is costly to affiliates. If the merchant fails to contact affiliates in the usual way communications are sent, then it could be a few days before affiliates check the invalid page information. Merchant's know this and take advantage of it by not communicating directly w/ affiliates.

speaking of costly, i recently saw one merchant dropping affiliates the day before a top shopping holiday. obviously, it was meant to have the links remain in our websites during that holiday and not earn anything for us.

Quote Originally Posted by waytogo View Post
    speaking of costly, i recently saw one merchant dropping affiliates the day before a top shopping holiday. obviously, it was meant to have the links remain in our websites during that holiday and not earn anything for us.
    Yes, I remember Mikasa did something like that one year. They sent out a big promo email, then dropped a bunch of sites or ended their program the next day. I think it was the week before Black Friday.
    Last edited by leeann; August 9th, 2010 at 08:20 PM.
    leeann

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread