ABW Ambassador
    has anybody experience with "Popupdummy".
    Ksoft posts the following:
    PopupDummy! is an easy solution to block advertisement popups from Microsoft Internet Explorer, Netscape, Ad-Ware applications, and Flash animations. It does not interfere with opening new web browsers and it does not require any initial setup by the user.

PopupDummy! uses two methods to suppress advertisement popups on your computer. The default method is by detecting popups in your web browser automatically, before they appear. This suppresses most popup advertisements and requires no setup.

The second method is by the user specifying window titles of advertisement popups. PopupDummy! detects new windows opening and checks if their window title is a blocked title. PopupDummy! then closes the offending window instantly, giving you an effective popup blocking solution for not only your web browser, but any adware desktop application! This includes applications such as KaZaa, Morpheus, Gator, Grokster, BearShare, LimeWire, GAIN, NetZero, iMesh, and other popup advertisement supporting programs.
    -------------------------------------------------

Does this also avoid the cookies of parasiteware?

carneol

[This message was edited by carneol on December 23, 2002 at 03:12 PM.]

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    If they setup the program to allow BF -CJ & LS cookies to automatically pass through and the default settings block Gator WhenU and the other BHO's popup from their keyword triggers I'd push them. They use ShareaSale.

Summary of PopupDummy! features:

No Screen Flash in Internet Explorer!
    Popups blocked from Internet Explorer, Netscape, Mozilla, AdWare programs, and annoying Flash animations.
    100% popup windows detected and blocked!
    Manual window title blocking of popups anywhere on your desktop.
    Does not interfere with opening new web browser windows in Internet Explorer.
    Integrates directly into Microsoft Internet Explorer.
    Display and remove cookies created by web sites.
    No downloading popup windows, web speed increased!
    No setup needed. Just run and you're popup-protected!
    Does not interfere with opening new browsers locally.
    Normalizes all browser windows.
    Press one key down while browsing to bypass PopupDummy!
    Enter favorite sites in a "white list" to allow popups.
    Sound/Visual effects when popups blocked.
    History kept of web sites which spawned popups.

Webmaster Mike

"Anyone can make a dollar, it is when you make sense that it starts to add up."...does your eBiz plan make sense?

Hi guys, this is the author of PopupDummy! (someone was kind enough to inform me of this interesting board).

Yes, PopupDummy! can block all popups including AdWare or any annoying window for that matter (by window title). PopupDummy! does not block cookies out, but it does allow users to manage their cookies. So, it will not affect your web site schemes in that regard.

To have PopupDummy! block, for example, Gator's GAIN ads, you need to manually right-click the tray icon next to your clock, and select ADD TO FILTERS each time you see a new AdWare popup. This kills it for good. After killing 4-5 of their popups, you will have nailed all of Gator's popups (since they use a limited number).

Hopefully, this is what you are looking for. If you have any information to improve the AdWare blocking such as by providing exact Window Titles of AdWare popups that are persistent, we could add them to the default install program.

Let me know, as we are always looking to improve PopupDummy!'s power.

----------------------------
    Tired of popups while you surf the web?
    Get PopupDummy! http://www.popupdummy.com

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    WhenU (SaveNow) ads. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Welcome to ABW Kory. Thanks for so quickly coming by and explaining your neat application. Your at ShareaSale right? Most of those 100 million parasite infected computers have un-installed the original FreeBee applications and the hidden crap is what continues to popup. All ABWers wish to kill those commission stealing redirect popups on their shoppers computers.

Nice touch would be if your programs default setting automatically killed the parasitic BHO popups. The enduser could then unlease the beasts by changing the settings if they really wanted to get a BHO sponsored rebate/points/coupon etc etc.

Webmaster Mike

"Anyone can make a dollar, it is when you make sense that it starts to add up."...does your eBiz plan make sense?

Well, for now you can customize PopupDummy! to block them on your own, but I understand you want to distribute this to your users so their sales aren't blocked to you, which is why you want the default setup for this.

I can add default window titles of popups to block, but it would help if you could provide me with a list of different popup window titles that these "parasitic BHO popups" contain. The catch is, they need to be exact window titles. Typically these popup window titles do not change for a long period of time, which is why this can be effective.

Maybe you guys can take note when the popups appear, jot down their exact window titles, and email or post them here so I can add them in and release a new version for you to distribute to your users.

Yes, thank you for coming by and responding so quickly. I completely forgot all my manners and put in a request without even saying hello and welcome. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

I think I actually joined your program through SAS, but then never really promoted it as I started having experiences with other popup killer software which also blocked affiliate tracking cookies. That seemed a bit self defeating. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] I'm glad there is an option out there.

A question for you though. Does your software kill the pop up, before it has a chance to set their own cookie over ours? The call for their affiliate tracking goes out within the pop up itself. Assuming of course that the user has added them to the list to kill.

The vast majority of whenu's pop titles say "Save Now!" with a graphic $ at the beginning. But when I view the source code of the pop the title line is "untitled." Not sure how they are doing that.

Anyway, welcome and I suppose I'm going to have to start promoting your software very heavily. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

maybe this parasite-blocking discussion should continue in the private parasiteware forum, away from prying parasitic eyeballs.
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Also interesting/recommendation:

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/downloads.html

Ad-Ware from Lavasoft removes most of the known Shopping Plugins from your computer.

I got my computer clean with that.

Carsten

Shop-Links.net Partner
    http://www.shop-links.net

If you can't move things, try harder!

Yes, that's a very good program too. There's also spyware eliminator and spybot that do basically the same thing. All seem to have a slight difference in what they detect.

I think promoting a combination of the different programs is a good thing. Along with anti-virus and firewall. Oops, and dont forget Mailwasher. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] It's really a shame that so many programs are needed to experience a safe and enjoyabe Internet experience.

I downloaded the demo of PopupDummy last night and hope to try it out over the next week or so. What I like from the posts here so far is that unlike many other ad killers, it doesn't nuke everything. Since I don't run any pops on my sites anyway, I think I'm going to like it. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] I also like the fact that aside from a few defaults you have to tell it to kill pops once they occur the first time. That's nice for times that pops are used legitimately. For instance, I do use a pop on one site to show product images on my order page for faster loading time. Many programs would kill those too without giving the user an option.

Hi Kbomb! I have a question. If we set our links to open in a new window, will this block them?

Thanks,
    Vicki [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

But if the arrow is straight and the point is slick,
    It can pierce through dust no matter how thick. dylan

Let me answer some of the questions.

PopupDummy! blocks most popups automatically in Internet Explorer without filling in any window titles. By default, it will not block popups where the user clicks a link and the link URL contains "javascript:winopen", since this is an example of a good popup.

If users enable "Allow Manual Popups", PopupDummy! will not block any popup created by clicking a link. It will only block the automatic popups and popunders.

The "Add To Filters" is for blocking AdWare. The only reason you need to add window titles is if you have adware on your computer from a program you use. I am not sure if the cookie ability of the popup will get killed before it has a chance to do its damage. PopupDummy! kills AdWare windows usually within 1 second, and it kills regular web browser popups before they can even be seen.

eval.bizrate.com/popup?id=xxxxx

Bought a New Dell computer system this popup came up with my confirmation Page.

"It's your foot, you can shoot it if you want to." ~ Me

I did some research into popup blockers a while ago, and found AdSubtract from http://www.adsubtract.com to be superior. They block everything, also managing a central database which updates the program.

The only drawback is the use of http proxy, but then again, so do 95% of adblockers.

Best $30 I have ever spent, to bad they don't have an affiliate program.

-- Less is more --

IMO popup blockers, and all ad blocking programs, are scumware.

Many websites that provide "free" content use advertising to pay for this, and often popups are the most effective way of doing this.

Ad blocking software can have a harmful effect on the revenue generated by these sites, and it may reduce the number of sites offering free content, and make some start to charge for their content.

Anyone who uses an ad blocking program is effectively "stealing" this content. These programs are as much "scumware" as some of the more publicised programs such as Gator.

Advertisers need to stop running popups. Everyone hates them, nobody needs advertising shoved in their face. People can find what they are looking for on the net. How many sales do people really get from annoying people with spam and popups?
    Stop annoying people and there would be no need for all the blocking programs.

ABW Ambassador
    I won't discuss that popup rubbish, but it is the same as if I have read a newspaper and throw it away and out of the can jumps all advertising into my face.

carneol

If you don't like the advertising on a site, don't go back to the site.

How would the TV channels react if people started using TVs that didn't show the adverts?

Blocking ads on the web is the same thing, but people seem to think everything online should be free, and then get annoyed when they get to see a few ads.

I'm not defending sites that have loads of popups that spawn more popups, but the occasional popup can be a very effective form of advertising (much more effective than normal banners), I use a few myself.

If you don't like sites with advertising on them, stick to sites with no advertising instead, rather than "stealing" access to ad supported sites.

They are coming out with television that can block the ads. They have telezapper to get rid of the telemarketing people. The web isn't television and I would think all the high paid ad execs should be smart enough to come up with an effective means of advertising that doesn't annoy people.

Why do people always talk about advertising web sites? The web site IS the advertising for the product or service. If you can be found in a search engine by people who are actually interested in your product...what better advertising is there?

ABW Ambassador
    TV is a good example to show how dull the popups are. Imagine you want to zap to another channel, but you can't because you have to wait til the ad is over.
    carneol

Jane, I'm not talking about popups on sites that sell stuff.

Let me give you an example. I rarely buy a newspaper these days, I can get all the news I need from a few websites. These websites cost a lot of money to run, and they are "free", so they have to use advertising to pay for them.

So we have three choices.

1. We realise that good content is worth paying for, and we pay to access certain websites.

2. We accept that these sites are funded by advertising, and we don't mind seeing a few popups (despite how annoying they are, they are very effective)

3. Sites can no longer afford to continue, so they close and the web becomes a less useful place for getting information.

I think the second scenario is the most sensible. But if everyone starts using ad blocking software this will lead to 1 or 3 happening.

ABW Ambassador
    One problem here is that more and more of the popups that annoy people are not actually coming from the sites they're visiting, they're being spawned by scumware hiding in their computers. It would make more sense to clean out the scumware instead of buying a popup blocker!

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by jefff:
    How would the TV channels react if people started using TVs that didn't show the adverts?

Yes, that's exactly what cable (HBO, Showtime, MTV, et al) were supposed to be. We paid them so we could watch w/o commercials. Now look what we have? We pay and still get the commercials.

http://SearchToSale.com - Turns your search box into money.

We need commercials on TV. Thats when I go to the bathroom, let the dog out and put the wash in the machine. I don't do these things during pop ups.

I don't think anyone would mind if news sites were the only one running popups.

The number one way to get people to your site is through search engines. If you don't know how to optimize a site, use affiliates. That brings traffic from search engines. There is no need to annoy people. Let the web be what it was meant to be. A place where people can find what they are looking for without shoving it in their face or clogging up their email box with stuff they never even read. The only time I read spam email is to notify the advertiser that I don't buy from companies that advertise in the email.

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread