ABW Ambassador
    ... are now what I made after my first 6 months of affiliate marketing.

It would be awesome if my savings produces a significant portion of my income through interest after two and a half years.
    Dr. Strangeweb, or how I learned how to stop worrying about SERPS and love the WOM.

In just a regular savings account? or some fancy money market account?

congrats, by the way

at 2% interest... you'll be able to "retire" in 3004

unless you have BG's money....

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

If you're investing for the long term, you'll probably want to look at a stock-based mutual fund. Even something as simple as an index fund (which mirrors the performance of the DJIA, S&P500, Nasdaq, or some other index) typically produces a 10-15% compounded annual rate of return over a long period of time.

Interest from a savings account, money market, CD, or even bonds just doesn't compare. Those investment methods are only desirable for the short term.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I highly recommend an ING Orange Savings Account.

Affiliate Link

Direct Link

I've been with them for about 2 1/2 years now, and have been extremely pleased. Interest on savings started out at 3.5%, but dropped a bit with the slumping economy. It's now at 2.1%, and on the slow climb back up.

Their customer service is first rate. The reps all speak clearly and know what they're talking about. I love ING customer service! They are the polar opposite of VOOM (but that's another story)...

Since opening my first savings account with ING (and I was very reticent to start), I've moved the bulk of my savings to ING, opened an IRA with them and looked with them first when I needed a mortgage.

Sorry, don't mean to sound like an evangelist, but there are few companies in their league for quality of service, in or out of banking.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Eathan:
    I _highly_ recommend an ING Orange Savings Account. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Step ahead of you. Had one since August 2001. I got serious about savings this year, after I paid off my credit cards. (Thanks affiliate marketing!)

To give you an idea of how serious I've gotten, I'll make as much money in interest next month as I did in all 12 months of 2003.

I've been depositing all my affiliate earnings. I have no need for it right now.

After I get three months expenses (end of next month with my current earnings), I'm gonna earmark some of it for investing.

I have a copy of Martin Zweig's Winning on Wall Street sitting on the shelf next to me. I've read through it twice...

I just need $5000 worth of capital.
    Dr. Strangeweb, or how I learned how to stop worrying about SERPS and love the WOM.

ABW Ambassador
    I'm getting 5% interest at the moment, just opened it, no minimums, no fees.... love it

ABW Ambassador
    You can also check money markets thru GE and Ford. They both pay over 2% based on a tier system, and backed by the companies themselves.

GE's pays a little less, but is considered a much higher quality company. Google for GEInterest and Ford Money Market to find out more info.

ABW Ambassador
    Guess I'm the odd ball here. Most of my free earnings are going into "odd" investments like oil and gas companies, energy sector IRA's and, most recently, the purchase of Gold and Silver bullion. Interest rates are way too low right now for me to justify buying bonds/CD's/etc.., especially since inflation is rising - something which can kill off all your bond/interest earnings.

Then again, since I live in Montana and make a living from a content site (eek), guess my portfolio choices probably isn't too surprising!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I just need $5000 worth of capital. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, you don't need that much at all. Go to sharebuilder.com and set up an account there. You can buy fractional lots of companies for four bucks a trade. Great way to get started if you want to invest in stocks but lack the big money to set up an account.

ABW Ambassador
    Oh, another thing I should mention if you're looking to receive a nice return on your principal and can afford to lock up your principal, check into REIT's for stocks. They have to pay dividends. We're in one that the current yield is about 8% and the price of the stock is 25.50.

Money markets are good just if you need cash around, otherwise, diversify and INVEST. There are a lot of good mutual funds out there as well.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jimh009:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I just need $5000 worth of capital. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, you don't need that much at all. Go to sharebuilder.com and set up an account there. You can buy fractional lots of companies for four bucks a trade. Great way to get started if you want to invest in stocks but lack the big money to set up an account. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Interesting... maybe next year when I have some capital to play with.

I'm thinking of "TIPS": Treasury Inflation-Protected Securities.

Every six months, uncle sam adjusts your principal investment for inflation based on the CPI and then calculates the interest off of the new principal.

When it comes due, you either get your initial investment or the inflation adjusted investment back.

From a government finance perspective, this is hideously wrong and is going to cause the national debt to spiral out of control, especially if there's another period of "stagflation".

But from my perspective as a small investor, this is like having your cake and eating it, too.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> But from my perspective as a small investor, this is like having your cake and eating it, too. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

TIPS are definitely helpful, but, only if you entirely trust the government as far as the CPI goes. Right now I'm having a rather hard time swallowing the offical line of the 2% increase in the CPI. Guess the people who check out the cost of milk, housing, food, gas and other necessities have been "on vacation" for a while.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> From a government finance perspective, this is hideously wrong and is going to cause the national debt to spiral out of control, especially if there's another period of "stagflation". <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The national debt IS already out of control and pegged to get worse - much worse. Which is another reason I'm leery of US Government bonds.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jimh009:
    Right now I'm having a rather hard time swallowing the offical line of the 2% increase in the CPI. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Doesn't get any more official than this

June '03: 183.7
    June '04: 189.7

Increase of 3.3%.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread