Google Now Does Things It Penalizes Sites for Doing
    Have you noticed the new image pages at Google now? When you click on it, an overlay page goes up in front of the site that displays the image. You can read through it which means it isn't really necessary to click to the site. If we did the same thing Google would penalize our sites. I wonder what justification system they use to make this the right way to display images from websites? Plus you cannot see the referring site on the Google pages without clicking on the photo. Plus, the images are so big that clicking through isn't always necessary either.

Google is wrong in doing this.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

I'm not seeing that. They changed the image page a while back to give you more images but I'm not getting any kind of overlay page. Maybe it's something they are testing.
    :rankn-scp John - This is our chosen profession. This is our way. This is what we do.

http and a telephoto
    I got it too. I don't like it. It's violating copyrights. But that is something that G likes to do right? They own all the content on the internet......
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly View Post
    I got it too. I don't like it. It's violating copyrights. But that is something that G likes to do right? They own all the content on the internet......
    Well I totally forgot that!!! You're right Loxly thanks for reminding me. How dare I question the great Gog of the Internet.. lolol. But seriously, I bet it really could hurt some of your sites, Loxly.
    Last edited by leeann; August 10th, 2010 at 12:58 AM.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Google's new motto:
    Do as I say not as I do
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7 View Post
    Google's new motto:
    So true. Oh, and did I mention how it promotes image theft, too, by using this display method?
    leeann

Quote Originally Posted by JCSupSvc View Post
    I'm not seeing that. They changed the image page a while back to give you more images but I'm not getting any kind of overlay page. Maybe it's something they are testing.
    I'm seeing it on Firefox 3.6.8.
    leeann

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by leeann View Post
    Well I totally forgot that!!! You're right Loxly thanks for reminding me. How dare I question the great Gog of the Internet.. lolol. But seriously, I bet it really could hurt some of your sites, Loxly.
    Yes, I rely on the image bot to find some of my sites, but now it may be changing the game enough for me to just decide to block the image bot. This is not the way a search engine should work.

Why are sites heavy in images, *all* photography sites, now subject to "preview" and not get the direct links? If they made all sites pop a preview like that there would certainly be more of an uproar.

But at the end of the day what can we do? I'll test blocking the image bot on some sites and see what happens.

If we did the same thing Google would penalize our sites.
    And why would Google penalize your site for showing an overlay of something rather than linking out or to another page on your site?

It wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    And why would Google penalize your site for showing an overlay of something rather than linking out or to another page on your site?

It wouldn't.
    Of course it would. It is showing an overlay of a site that is NOT its site. I couldn't link to a site and show an overlay of a page on that site without being penalized. Google does not own my site or my images. They have no right to put a transparent overlay in front of it when someone clicks on what they think is my link, but instead run into an enlarged image on an overlay that is not my site.

They are diverting the click to another one of their pages and using my images to get that click. Explain to me what is right about doing such a thing, Joshua.

Of course deceptive sites use that tactic on a regular basis-- diverting clicks using another website's name and content -- but prior to now that would be considered a no-no in Google list of ethical behavior. But who knows - maybe you find it ethical behavior. I sure don't.
    Last edited by leeann; August 10th, 2010 at 01:44 AM.
    leeann

Of course it would. It is showing an overlay of a site that is NOT its site. I couldn't link to a site and show an overlay of a page on that site without being penalized. Google does not own my site or my images. They have no right to put a transparent overlay in front of it with my image enlarged on it. Explain to me what is right about doing such a thing, Joshua.
    You have every right to link a user to whatever you want - Google doesn't care if you show a screenshot/overlay of the site when the user clicks a link, and then make that image link to the destination a user "thought" they'd get the first time. Your site would in no way be penalized by Google's algorithm for doing such a thing. Heck, their robot can't really tell human intent and fully figure out a lot of advanced Javascript/AJAX things, anyway. Anyway, Google isn't really showing an overlay OVER your site - The user doesn't actually go to the site at first.

Whether Google is right to do such a thing is a completely different issue from whether Google would penalize your site for doing something similar. Frankly, if that's your concern, you can easily block Google Images from indexing your images, and I recommend doing so - http://www.google.com/support/webmas...n&answer=35308 . Most people using image search are going to be looking for an image of something for their own use, and not likely be looking for information or have a purchasing intent. This helps to cut down on other sites finding nice images to steal for their own site.

... you can easily block Google Images from indexing your images, and I recommend doing so - http://www.google.com/support/webmas...n&answer=35308 . Most people using image search are going to be looking for an image of something for their own use, and not likely be looking for information or have a purchasing intent. This helps to cut down on other sites finding nice images to steal for their own site.
    Thanks for the tip, Joshua. My site statistics/analytics indicate that many visitors find my site through image search but I didn't know what to do about it. Thanks for the link and explanation.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Anyway, Google isn't really showing an overlay OVER your site - The user doesn't actually go to the site at first.
    That's my point. They use my name, image and link, but the person clicking on it doesn't go to my site first. That's deceptive.
    Last edited by leeann; August 10th, 2010 at 01:54 AM.
    leeann

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7 View Post
    Thanks for the tip, Joshua. My site statistics/analytics indicate that many visitors find my site through image search but I didn't know what to do about it. Thanks for the link and explanation.
    Use Google Analytics or another analytics package to track image search behavior separately. Certain types of sites could get a lot of good traffic from image search (for more visual-oriented purchases - art, halloween costumes), while searches coming from terms like "COMPANY NAME Logo" are probably just there to steal an image. Being selective in robots.txt exclusion, and analyzing results can work wonders. Removing large images from image search, if the traffic does nothing at all on your site, will probably prevent the images from being stolen as often, and lower bandwidth consumption, too.

Joshua,
    You really pinpointed the situation well!
    My sites promote a variety of products, but one of the categories I do well in is Halloween costumes & peripherals and I wonder if the image searching helps me to sell various items?

You are right about logo as well: some people seem to love the logo I created for one of my sites.

Thank you for your great advice!
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    IMO it's best to worry about what you're doing to create value, and not what Google is doing. Unless you want to remain frustrated and distracted.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-AvantLink View Post
    IMO it's best to worry about what you're doing to create value, and not what Google is doing. Unless you want to remain frustrated and distracted.
    Perhaps, but in this case it may be prudent to be concerned with what Google is doing if they are in fact displaying your sites content without directing a searcher to your site. There is a reason for copyright laws and if I remember correctly, search engines are not exempt.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    I understand the issue. Just stating my opinion. I used to be obsessed with Google, their corny named algo updates, etc. But that got me no where but more aggravated.

Maybe someone will challenge them legally...if they have tons of time and money on their hands

I used to be obsessed with Google, their corny named algo updates, etc. But that got me no where but more aggravated.
    There is a whole cult of Google worshipers/fearers and I assure you I am not one of them. I discovered like you that trying to keep up with them was a no-win situation.

Maybe someone will challenge them legally...if they have tons of time and money on their hands
    That was my original thought when I saw this thread. It's going to be a publication with copyrighted images that isn't getting enough Google love or a Fortune 1000 that thinks it's images are proprietary. I honestly believe that if that challenge is ever made in court that Google will lose and that will open up the floodgates.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

I don't like it either but they are going to claim fair use

Google penalize our sites,but we can do anything.

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread