Smile Datafeeds
    Hi,

Does anyone have a good tutorial (or can't point me to one) on how to setup datafeeds on my site?

I would really love to start using CJ's datafeed but I haven't learned how to use MYSQL yet. At this point I'm looking to learn and would really appreciate it if someone could show me where to find a great tutorial or some sort of references on the subject.

Sophie

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    This is just my opinion, but I would get comfortable with php/mysql before getting into managing merchant datafeeds.

ABW Ambassador
    There are tons of online resources for learning MYSQL. Try http://www.w3schools.com/sql/default.asp

Hi, Sophie. At this point (not yet knowing any MySQL) you may well be better off trying one (or more) of the 3rd party datafeed service providers - such as GoldenCAN or Cusimano Scripts or others.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Thanks so much everyone for the feedback. Maybe what I'll do for now is use a 3rd party service and in the mean time slowly starting learning Mysql.

Is Datafeedr a good service? It looks good from what I've seen but wanted to see if anyone has any personal experience with them?

Sophie

ABW Ambassador
    You could try Webmerge. Not easy, but it isn't as hard as learning MySQL or PHP

Hi Sophie

This might be worth looking at if you want a look at PHP/MySQL and how they can be used to create datafeed websites:

http://articles.sitepoint.com/articl...mysql-tutorial

It's sort of a tutorial linked to a sales pitch for a not-too-bad Sitepoint.com book. If you look it over and decide to get the book -- you can find it in one of the links from that page as a downloadable PDF file for around $5, instead of the published paperback version that's a fairly hefty $40 or something like that.

I have the older edition of the published book and I have the PDF version. They have been helpful. If I could just come up with a bit more self-discipline to actually work through the entire thing, I'd probably learn a thing or two about PHP/MySQL!!
    Generate more fake news.

Writerguy, thanks so much. I'm going to check that out right away!

Julian - I will take a look at Webmerge...thnx so much!

If you really want to learn how to program it, then there is a tread with good examples for ShareASale:
    http://www.abestweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60200

If you think you have any coding ability, I would give yourself some free time and give it a go yourself. If you have never coded before, I would probably take other people's advice and use a third party application while you learn. Here was my recent experience with datafeeds.

I know how coding works and how to think in terms of coding, I just didn't know any php or mysql. I started working on my first datafeed last week. Script #1 for SAS took about 4 days.. probably about 12 hours total. This involved learning some php and learning mysql from scratch. Script #2 for Linkshare took about 4 hours. Script #3 for Avantlink took me about 40 minutes. The scripts do the same basic things, they differ in the way they get imported.

Hope this helps with your decision!

Quote Originally Posted by iolaire View Post
    If you really want to learn how to program it, then there is a tread with good examples for ShareASale:
    http://www.abestweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60200
    The only problem with that thread is that it was started OVER 5 YEARS AGO, and there have been some big changes to the versions of PHP and MySQL commonly in use on most webservers since then.

Lots of good stuff there still, but probably not a great part for a real novice to start, is it?
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy View Post
    Lots of good stuff there still, but probably not a great part for a real novice to start, is it?
    I read the post as someone who wants to learn, and given the poster specifically asked for a tutorial I find it a valuable link.

There are zillions of how to program sites, but few with real world data feed examples.

I doubt the php or mysql code structure has changed much in five years, but there is a good chance the data feed formats have.

There is also PopShops, another third party datafeed aggregation provider.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

You can also use this to build datafeed sites: http://www.pricetapestry.com/

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread