View Poll Results: How do we distribute the increased affiliate channel budget?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Increase the commission amounts

3 75.00%
  • Pay out a flat bonus amount per sale

1 25.00%
  • If you can, do both : -)

2 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Exclamation Higher commision, flat bonus per sale or both?
    Hi team,

I have a question that i'm almost sure I know the answer to but wanted to poll our ABW family to make sure.

As you know, we are running the DeluxeForBusiness program and are about to launch another 3 - 5 brands under the Deluxe family ...

On the DeluxeForBusiness program, I have been asking for increased commissions and more bonuses for our affiliates. My request has been approved however I have a choice, do we raise the commision amount, offer a flat bonus per sale or do both?

What are your thoughts? Feel free to vote and post your thoughts ...
    Last edited by Andy Rodriguez; August 10th, 2010 at 11:38 AM. Reason: typo
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

ABW Ambassador
    There doesn't seem to be much point doing both, as you may as well just increase the commission instead of adding a bonus. If you are going to give a bonus, why not just increase the commission instead?

Increased commission makes more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    There doesn't seem to be much point doing both, as you may as well just increase the commission instead of adding a bonus. If you are going to give a bonus, why not just increase the commission instead?

Increased commission makes more sense.
    That is a good point, however, we do have some smaller items that are very popular and the "flat bonus per sale" think min $10.00 for example can really add up ...
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

Affiliate Manager
    Andy

I recommend both. I have found that the commission increase appeals to all especially small publishers. But the bonus is nice to have to reward for meeting the sales minimum.

Travis

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Rodriguez View Post
    That is a good point, however, we do have some smaller items that are very popular and the "flat bonus per sale" think min $10.00 for example can really add up ...
    Hi Andy, I voted for all 3 choices and as a member of the "ABW Family" I'd like to share the reasons for my choices.

I looked up "Deluxe for Business" because I was not familiar with your program. I was impressed with this statement:
    With thousands of products to pick from, your site visitors are sure to find exactly what fits their business model. We offer many products that will help your site visitors run their businesses day to day.
    I clicked on one category, "Promotional Products for Business" and the quote is true. There are thousands of products that could be of interests to website visitors looking for products to fulfill a certain business model and there are a number of ways an affiliate could promote your products.

I voted for a higher commission and I voted for a flat bonus per sale because I think that either could motivate affiliates. A flat bonus is certainly appreciated on a relatively small sale of relatively inexpensive items and as you point out the flat rate bonuses can add up.

When looking for prospective affiliate programs to join I always look at the base commission and try to figure if it represents a "fair commission."
    If I believe that "Base/Starting Commission X" is fair I will promote it.
    "Fair X Base" multiplied by a higher percentage is great but
    "Fair X Base" plus a flat rate bonus motivates as well.

If the "Base/Starting Commission X" is less than the norm for that type of product[s] then a promise to triple the commission in the future would make me skeptical.

If the starting commission is a fair one for that industry and the available products then an affiliate most likely would be happy with either type and of course if both rewards were given an affiliate would be thrilled.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by seaturkey View Post
    Andy

I recommend both. I have found that the commission increase appeals to all especially small publishers. But the bonus is nice to have to reward for meeting the sales minimum.

Travis
    Yeah, im thinking along the lines of doing both ... we will have the best business checks, forms, promotional items and business related services on the web.

Deluxe was founded in 1915 and now, more than 90 years later, Deluxe is a $1.34 billion company with locations in the United States, Canada and Ireland.

Deluxe is the growth engine for small businesses and financial institutions as well as one of the top check producers in North America.

Thanks for your input buddy ...

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7 View Post
    Hi Andy, I voted for all 3 choices and as a member of the "ABW Family" I'd like to share the reasons for my choices.

I looked up "Deluxe for Business" because I was not familiar with your program. I was impressed with this statement:

I clicked on one category, "Promotional Products for Business" and the quote is true. There are thousands of products that could be of interests to website visitors looking for products to fulfill a certain business model and there are a number of ways an affiliate could promote your products.

I voted for a higher commission and I voted for a flat bonus per sale because I think that either could motivate affiliates. A flat bonus is certainly appreciated on a relatively small sale of relatively inexpensive items and as you point out the flat rate bonuses can add up.

When looking for prospective affiliate programs to join I always look at the base commission and try to figure if it represents a "fair commission."
    If I believe that "Base/Starting Commission X" is fair I will promote it.
    "Fair X Base" multiplied by a higher percentage is great but
    "Fair X Base" plus a flat rate bonus motivates as well.

If the "Base/Starting Commission X" is less than the norm for that type of product[s] then a promise to triple the commission in the future would make me skeptical.

If the starting commission is a fair one for that industry and the available products then an affiliate most likely would be happy with either type and of course if both rewards were given an affiliate would be thrilled.
    Rhia,

Thanks for your insight ... check out the LogoMojo program, another Deluxe comapny ... look at the stats : -)

Quote Originally Posted by seaturkey View Post
    Andy

Travis
    I would include myself in the group of "Small [hopefully growing ] Publishers" and if I meet a sales minimum in order to get the flat rate bonus, I am very happy with a flat rate bonus. Even a flat rate bonus of $5 upon a "previously agreed [i.e. the predetermined qualification set out by the AM or OPM] upon sales amount" can mean a lot to an affiliate especially if the flat rate bonuses accumulate.
    Last edited by Rhia7; August 10th, 2010 at 01:51 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

A flat bonus is certainly appreciated on a relatively small sale of relatively inexpensive items and as you point out the flat rate bonuses can add up.
    Definitely, i'm thinking along the lines of a flat $10.00 per sale in addition to the commission amount, so in essence, send 10 sales per day and you have an extra $100 bucks for that day ... not too shabby i think ..

any more votes or comments?

Perhaps you shouldn't have made it a public poll?

Quote Originally Posted by kaizen View Post
    Perhaps you shouldn't have made it a public poll?
    Hmm, I didnt see anything wrong with that but the poll has been made private, identities shall not be revealed ..

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread