Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    38
    Questions...If I create a content feed for use on other peoples sites, can I have affiliate links in the content? Will they track views, clicks and sales accurately? Would most affiliate programs have an issue with this or just be glad of the extra exposure and possibility of sales?

    Thanks for all thoughts on the matter.

  2. #2
    ABW Veteran Student Heyder's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    5,482
    There is no reason why it wouldn't be allowed.

  3. #3
    ABW Ambassador Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    549
    It would be a good idea for you to closely monitor the usage of the content feed though. If a site posted your content feed on the same page as porn or warez, it would be pretty easy for you to get banned from the networks.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    73
    Re: what Joey said about watching carefully.
    Also, some wise guy might write code to replace your affiliate links with his.

  5. #5
    2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    St Clair Shores MI.
    Posts
    17,328
    Can we safely assume misterbill is a tricks for clicks playa?
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

    "What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

  6. #6
    Eternal Optimist Look4's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Home base: Pennsylvania
    Posts
    438
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EcomCity.com:
    Can we safely assume misterbill is a tricks for clicks playa? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I don't know if I would be so harsh. I know a few people who meticulously update their sites with news and content daily, offer RSS feeds, and get nothing in return. This sounds like a pretty reasonable way for a content provider to get a little something in return for providing a free feed.
    Yeah, I know, always the naive optimist, but then again, I wake each morning with a smile!
    Tom C.
    [URL=http://www.cafepress.com/simplesignshop]Simple Sign Shop[/URL]

    Every day leave someone or something better than you found it.

  7. #7
    ABW Veteran Student Heyder's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    5,482
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EcomCity.com:
    Can we safely assume misterbill is a tricks for clicks playa? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    If "we" means you and that bird, go ahead. I'll wait until I see some evidence before I start accusing anyone of such a thing.

  8. #8
    Affiliate Manager
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    691
    Hey, interesting idea! But is it possible to prevent someone from swapping out your tracking links?

  9. #9
    Eternal Optimist Look4's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Home base: Pennsylvania
    Posts
    438
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Carolyn - CollectiblesToday:
    Hey, interesting idea! But is it possible to prevent someone from swapping out your tracking links? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Most sites just take the rss feed directly and pump it to their page. Sure, there may be a few dastardly types that would write code to pattern-match the data and do replacement - but that's a lot of work to get the pattern-matching to work reliably, especially if the feed creator uses different products each day. Besides, it 10% of the people using your feed do that, it still leaves 90% where you have a chance to make a little something, which is way better than 0%.
    Tom C.
    [URL=http://www.cafepress.com/simplesignshop]Simple Sign Shop[/URL]

    Every day leave someone or something better than you found it.

  10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. RSS Feed and Duplicate Content Questions
    By Uncle Rico in forum Midnight Cafe'
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: November 12th, 2009, 09:28 AM
  2. Live Pre Coded Content Feed
    By Chris - AMWSO in forum AMWSO
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: November 24th, 2004, 12:24 AM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last Post: October 15th, 2004, 02:15 AM
  4. XML Search Engine content feed - How?
    By kenmerge in forum Midnight Cafe'
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: May 30th, 2004, 09:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •