Completely lost. Need help
    Ok I am new to the create a website game. I am looking for help with every aspect of creating a website. I have been gathering content for my niche and I am almost ready to get a website going but I have no clue where to start. I know I need to buy a domain name. Any good suggestions as to where I can buy a domain name and have it registered in my name? How about suggestions on finding a web host and the whole process of getting content and styles onto my website. Like I said, I am completely new and would appreciate any good feedback. I do realize that these problems have been addressed in the past but I find the size of this forum making it a little unrealistic to find all my answers in a timely manner. Thanks for any help or references for help.

Nate

BurgerBoy, a moderator here, recently posted this good advice:
    http://www.abestweb.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=31
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Thank you for the feedback. I'll do some research on hostgator. Is it fairly simple to set up a fully functional site with hostgator? I am new to everything about setting up websites like I said so I am looking for something that I can pick up quick since I am not educated on website coding and functions.

http and a telephoto
    I do realize that these problems have been addressed in the past but I find the size of this forum making it a little unrealistic to find all my answers in a timely manner.
    The search button works wonders. If you don't have time to invest in learning how to do what you need to do, perhaps you need to not get into this business.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Relax. I am asking for help. If you don't want to help you don't have to. I would help if I knew something and someone else asked for help with it. It's easier to get a thread going and I am using the search for help too. Why go about finding my answers one way when I can use all the tools provided on the forum to find them, including creating a thread. If you are going to make it in any business you have to ask questions and maximize the use of the tools you have available. I am doing that. Maybe you can take a lesson from what I have said.
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; August 13th, 2010 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by natelewis View Post
    Thank you for the feedback. I'll do some research on hostgator. Is it fairly simple to set up a fully functional site with hostgator? I am new to everything about setting up websites like I said so I am looking for something that I can pick up quick since I am not educated on website coding and functions.
    Someone who uses Host Gator would have to answer those questions.

I use 1&1 for domains & hosting. Many affiliates prefer to separate the domain registration from the hosting -- but 1&1 works for me
    Last edited by Rhia7; August 13th, 2010 at 02:37 AM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Most hosts provide some type of "Web Site Builder" application that you can easily set up a site without knowing any coding. You will need to research each host provider's feature list to see if this is included.

However, you probably will not be able to run any datafeeds or advanced scripts you may find necessary as you learn the affiliate business—and have to recreate your site from scratch if you do want to use such features.

To set up a "fully functional" site, you will need to learn some basic HTML, CSS & depending on what you intend to use, a little PHP so you can customize scripts. There is no short cut—everyone here who has had some success with affiliate marketing (hard goods) has learned to "get their hands dirty"—even a little. You can't succeed otherwise.

loxly set up a wonderful forum, AffiliateABCs. She is just providing you with a big dose of reality. ABW gets dozens of new members daily—if everyone decided they couldn't be bothered searching, this forum would be filled with threads asking the same questions over and over and over.

The moderators and members are doing this on their own dime—& love to help those who show they are willing to help themselves.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

This is the new kindler gentler forum. You have no idea what a smart ass reply could be here. Enjoy your research.

Thank you Joy. I will research the types of coding you suggested so I have a good understanding about how they work in website building. I only told Loxly what I did because I felt she attacked me and put me down for assuming I was using other tools to find my answers and saying I wasn't serious about the business. I have been putting alot of time in to try to learn the ropes and I didn't join here to be put down. I just want to use all the resources I can so I can gain the necessary knowledge I need to succeed. Thank you for the help...I appreciate it and if you have anymore coding you would suggest I research I would love to know. Thank you again.

http and a telephoto
    Hi Nate, I wasn't trying to be mean, I was trying to be helpful. Your remark about not having time can be construed as meaning you aren't willing to do the work yourself.

There is a lot of knowledge here and it can be overwhelming. Asking specific questions once you have looked for the answer is perfectly fine and encouraged.

However, stating you want answers because you want things in a timely manner is going to be construed as you looking for fast answers and not wanting to invest the time to learn.
    Deborah Carney

http and a telephoto
    Renée thanks for pointing him to Affiliate ABCs. Choosing a host is a good topic for a podcast, any volunteers to be the guest expert on that one?
    Deborah Carney

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    My advice.

Domain reg: GoDaddy.com
    Hosting: Hostican.com
    Site: Wordpress.org

(Hostican has one click installs for wordpress via Fantastico De Luxe, however you would still need to install/customize your theme, and learn some HTML/CSS basics...IMO)

I understand Loxly but in my opinion getting answers quickly and timely will allow you to get out there quicker and get to testing my niches, not so much as me looking for quick answers and not learning myself. Thank you Gary, Ill check those out. I have been learning alot and I been investing nearly all my free time into getting the right info to get up and going and this forum has and will be a great help. I am going to be using your videos Loxly to help me alot so thank you for creating them.

Also you might find hosting tips in the Domain & Hosting subforum:
    http://www.abestweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=148
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

w3.org has a free, step-by-step tutorial for HTML & CSS basics to advanced, including try-it-yourself examples through quizzes :
    HTML: http://www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp
    CSS: http://www.w3schools.com/Css/default.asp

There are plenty of other resources you can google, check some out to see which fits your learning style best.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

Thanks Rhia. And I stumbled across that site yesterday Joy lol. I have used it a bit so far but it's in my favorites so I will be using the site to learn my html and css basics. Thank you. I went with godaddy for my domain and hostgator for my hosting. I am currently working on getting my content up and web design up as well. Thanks everyone for all their help so far. Keep it coming! I love this forum and all the tips and resources it has to offer

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread