Do you make money online?
    I have some simple questions for all of you, if you will answer them. How many of you actually make a full time living from the internet? Whether it be affiliate marketing, blogging or whatever. Is this really a game that one would be having time well spent if they were to get into this occupation? Do you support yourself and a family from doing this sort of thing? When you have all of your knowledge and the know how of what to do to make money on the net, how often do you spend on the net to create a living for yourself and/or family? Do you spend little or less time on the internet now to make a living, compared to when you first started out? Or is it just a full blown game where you need to pretty much be on the web 24/7 to keep up with what is going on to make decisions on what you need to do next? Once a person gets the hang of affiliate marketing, does it tend to get easier? For example, if I knew affiliate marketing, would I be confident enough to say, hey I am going to promote this product or products next and make at least a few bucks from it? Or is affiliate marketing, something where it is more like hit and miss? No matter what you know about this game, you still have no confindence in whether you are going to make a sale until you start promoting the item you choose and hope that you can make sales?

IMO, if you are relatively new to affiliate marketing, you should be prepared to live and breathe AM if you want to make a full-time living at this stuff... at least until you have mastered your craft. The only people I know of that can only spend a few hours a day at this are those who have been around for quite a while and have established sites and superior programming skills.

Six or seven years ago, one could enter into affiliate marketing with a lot of drive and little skill and actually do fairly well. I'm not so sure that one could do that today.

Ever heard the phrase "just do it"? You can't make it if you don't try, and there are no guarantees in this game or any other. Just like baseball; the best hitter who ever played the game is going to strike out hundreds of times every year, and a call-up replacement player may hit a walk-off home run in his only major at-bat.

Luck is a factor too. But you have to make your own luck. Good things can't happen if you don't create the circumstances that allow them to happen.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

David said it quite well. I can only embellish that with the adage, "The harder I work the luckier I get!"
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

So it is pretty much like my last line explained in my above questions. It doesn't matter how much you know, it is still hit and miss when promoting products.

The more you know... the less is left up to chance.

yes. Enough to retire to the Riviera? no.
    There is a small percentage of affiliates who do earn enough to support their families, most of them have been established for years. There's another percentile that earns money regularly but not in the quantities to support their families the way they would like. And the largest number of affiliates that pop in to affiliating and don't stick with it long enough to enter either of those two groups..just seem to disappear after discovering that the "Overnight Riches" ebooks lied.
    It can be done
    It is harder today than even 5 years ago
    It is a lot of work
    It is a lot of work for a long time.

I disagree with the hit or miss idea. There are statistics that you learn to use to understand your traffic and maximize the likelihood of sales by optimizing for your demographics. Check your access logs if you don't have a good stats program and you can see where people come to your site from, what are they looking for when they decide to click through to your site, what pages do they view? If you know how people are getting to your site and what they are looking for, you can sure make it easier for them to find it.

Yes, but to make a living it took four long years of (what feels like) 24/7 work, research, programming, site design, etc etc. Thousands of dedicated hours.

I agree with David when he says you have to "make" your own luck. No book (or forum) can replace the experience you get from your own successes & failures.

My successes have felt random at times - a new idea that I didn't give too much thought to, that converted. Those moments when you say "hmm.. that did well, maybe I should do more of that". Conversely, I have spent hundreds of hours on new features that were a complete bust. No sales, no traffic... complete failures.

One of the most repeated comments here is that what works for one person, may not work for another. That's absolutely true - there is no template for success.

As 2busy suggested - hard work, micro-managing the results (ie. stats, etc.) and more of the same..

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread