Should I place an Affiliate tab in my main menu?
    Hi all

I just released my new website at allround-invoice.com and would like your opinion on a small thing

Should I have the Affiliate page as a tab on the main menu? or make it a hidden page only accessible using the direct link?
    Last edited by MichaelColey; August 17th, 2010 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Unlinked & Removed Manual Signature

Yes, you should have an "Affiliate" link somewhere on your index page, or in your site-wide template. It doesn't have to be (and probably shouldn't be) prominent. Just somewhere on the page. Many people put their more important links at the top and their less important ones (Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, Site Map, etc.) at the bottom. That's probably the best place for an affiliate link.

Two reasons:

1) Potential affiliates will often go to your homepage and search for the word "affiliate" to find a link to your affiliate program details. Failing that, some may try to Google your company name + "affiliate", but many will just assume you don't have one. That's why I think it's good to have it on the home page.

2) Affiliates don't like a prominent "JOIN OUR AFFILIATE PROGRAM AND EARN 20% COMMISSIONS!" banner on a merchant's site. The (probably unfounded) concern is that we'll send customers to you and some will sign up for your program to get a "discount" on their order. That's why I think less prominent is better.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Hi Michael

Thank you very much for your Reply

I'll try to think about moving the link somewhere else on the site..

Interesting question - I've been thinking about this one myself.

Do you think there is any negative impact on customers to see an affiliate program? I think this industry sometimes gets a bad rap and I just wondered if anyone thinks customers would be turned off by this. (We're B2B, so it might be a little different too...)

Outsourced Program Manager Ross Yamashita's Avatar
    A follow up question would be to what page do you point that affiliate link to? Do you link to general information or direct to signup form?

I figure it'd be to the general information/about us type page but just thought I'd ask.
    Last edited by Ross Yamashita; August 24th, 2010 at 04:47 PM.

http and a telephoto
    It depends. Some sites like to have an information page dedicated to the affiliate program, it can help the program be found in the SERPs but if you would rather not get traffic for people looking for affiliate programs, it is acceptable to just put a link directly to the program bio page on the network.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I would think "general information page" that gives the details including commision rate, cookie length, payments, network etc.........

Also a small link on the bottom of your index page is all that is required from my point of view as well.
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    I suggest putting it on the footer of the page.

I agree with Eric. The best place to put the affiliate program link, is the footer of your website. I also suggest that you can keep the link name as Partner Program and put that in between other links.
    Last edited by yogi1981; September 13th, 2010 at 08:48 AM.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by yogi1981 View Post
    I agree with Eric. The best place to put the affiliate program link, is the footer of your website. I also suggest that you can keep the link name as Partner Program and put that in between other links.
    Affiliates are looking for the word Affiliate when they scan a page, also that is what they generally search for on the search engines, so having the work Affiliate be the anchor text for the link will help with that.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Ewe View Post
    I suggest putting it on the footer of the page.
    I agree with Eric that the Footer is the best place to put the "Affiliate" link so it does not appear being pushy and yet making it visible subtly in all of your pages.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread