Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    I will NEVER vote for him but I agree with this even if it is now, for me, tainted by association.

REPUBLICANS PLAN PUSH FOR ELIMINATION OF IRS

Probably, when he is gone, I will get back on board with the republicans.

Uh, this movie, from the creators of South Park, is supposed to be released two weeks before the election.

Team America

I am offering it without comment or opinion, just as a news of general interest sort of thing. You gotta admit it is interesting.

Please, keep this thread in line with common sense.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

ABW Ambassador
    I wish they would eliminate the electoral college.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I wish they would eliminate the electoral college.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

At this time in history, that is an idea that has probably reached its time.

Back when there was no effective means of immediate mass communication, it was probably good.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Please, keep this thread in line with common sense. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh man! I never had such a good laugh this earlier in the morning in a long time if ever.

I like the VAT because it would eliminate the underground economy. Everyone who lives here and benefits from our economy would pay a fair share. Those who spent less because either they have less or invest more would pay less.

Those who conserve and use fewer resources would pay less, which only seems right.

Yes, it certainly has an element of humor.

However, I also think two weeks before the election is sort of dirty pool. No time for rebuttal.

It is a real movie that is really going to be released before the election, not just a joke.

While I agree the elimination of the IRS seems like a good idea at face value, I fear our elected officials wouldn't be able to leave well enough alone, and there would be lots of thumbs stuck in the pie, if you know what I mean.

As for the electoral college, get rid of it! It's a fossil! Totally outdated and useless, as we've seen.

I'm not sure the world can survive a second term with Bush at the helm...

Andy

Gotta go with you on that, Andy.

But I really do like the VAT. Seems like it would be a lot harder to cheat. Even illegal immigrants would be paying their share to support the country.

And, I would rather people spend the money they now pay to have their taxes done on goods and other services. Might create a lot of jobs.

Of course, talking about it before an election and actually getting it done are two different things. I don't think Bush would actually do it if elected. Don't think he could, anyway. If that was really a goal of his, how come we didn't hear about it over the last four years? Nice issue, though.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Aah ...the collective wisdom of the ABB crowd gathers to create a Southpark Movie to go with Michael Moores masterpiece. Meanwhile Kerry's French and UN connections move 200 French rent -a-cops to the Sudan/Chad border to stop 50,000 Arab Jaynaweed warriors from whacking a few hundred thousand helpless Danfur christain natives. Remember the peace-nic liberals were totally silent when PalPot and the Hanoi Jane Commies murdered 5 million innocents in Laos-Cambodia and Vietnam, while Kerry wore their uniform and tossed his unearned medals over the fence. Koffie Annon leads the UN into another Ruwanda genocide fiasco by issuing watered down PC toothless warnings on Sudan. Sudans Army declare Jehad today on western forces by land sea and air while passing out more guns and bullets to their raping and pillaging Arab warriors.

Islamic Jehadis emboldened by Kerry's speech at DNC convention and UN whoosie moves blow up 5 Churches in Iraq and pass out new kidnapper snuff films to Al-Jazerra. Captured Al-Quada plans to blow up the Financial districts in NYC -NJ and Washington DC get no comment from Kerry, but immediate action from GWB. Now watch the ABB whackos decend upon NYC to riot in protest praying the NYPD over-react and turn loose the dogs and turn on the hoses and tear gas to offset the democrats complete lack of a plan on what they'd really do if they get in the WhiteHouse. Meanwhile, in the resulting chaos, Al-Quada can slip in and plant some real bombs and push votes to their candidate John Kerry. Too bad those 15% of undecided voters are actual people with brains unwilling to waste their vote on a stupid dangerous ABB adjenda.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Uh, OK....

Was that a sort of run on, Roshak Test, free association, sort of thing? Went from Southpark to "raping and pillaging Arab warriors" all in one paragraph.

Actually, come to think of it, the Southpark writers are sort of like that, themselves. So, maybe it does work, after all.

Let's just sort of keep things general and ambiguous so we don't push anyone's buttons, OK?

you know this bush bashing is getting really, really boring, from voxfux to the infoclearinghouse, from anti-war.com to moveon.org...from the illuminati to the skull and bones bush bashing is getting real old now.

bring on frankenkerry.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    They need to make a movie about Kerry's legislative feats, just to even it out, but then I suppose 'A bill to provide for the liquidation or reliquidation of certain entries of tomato sauce preparation.' just ain't sexy enough for the masses.

Sexy Legislation

Ummm, I wonder why he is so interested in tomato paste.

On a side note, I'd like to see a usage tax replace the IRS anyday.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Well, I think it is something called freedom of the press. I am sure the Bush supporters will have their say, too.

If not, they are at least free to make pro-Bush movies, if they want to.

We have had political pamphleteering and satires from the time of the first printing press. This is just a logical extension.

People are ALWAYS sick of whatever the other side has to say. Kind of comes along with freedom of speech. Everyone wishes the other side would shut up and go away.

I wonder if this will be a new trend; major film makers like Paramount releasing controversial, shock value, political flicks and releasing them just before elections to make a fast buck or influence the electoral process.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    - - - - -
    I wonder if this will be a new trend; major film makers like Paramount releasing controversial, shock value, political flicks and releasing them just before elections to make a fast buck or influence the electoral process.
    - - - - -

Boy, I hope not. I want to go to the movies to forget about life, I mean jeese, we all have to deal with terrorism, mortality, paying bills, illnesses, politics, etc. on a daily basis, movies should be a break away form all of that crapola.

I feel the same way about comics in the newspaper, they should be fun, mind numbing, morale uplifting humorous anecdotes, not about people getting their leg blown off in a war and how they deal with it, or cheap political shots at both parties.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Did someone mention flying pigs?

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SSanf:
    I wonder if this will be a new trend; major film makers like Paramount releasing controversial, shock value, political flicks and releasing them just before elections to make a fast buck or influence the electoral process. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    On the flip side, Disney's film studio refused to release Michael Moore's film critical of Bush for their own political reasons. Call it censorship, call it kissing Jeb Bush's backside for tax breaks, call it a good business decision. Whatever you call it, this was many months before the election, plenty of time for any rebuttal. Of course no rebuttal is necessary if you can block a statement from being made in the first place.

I'm not worried that an animated movie by the makers of South Park is likely to sway anyone's vote no matter when it's released. Have we grown that stupid?

Wayne

A few years back Australia introduced the equivalent of a VAT - it was supposed to shut down the black economy, make life easier for everyone and have everyone paying their fair share of taxes.

All it did was put a huge book-keeping burden on merchants and a slight dent in the the cash economy and I don't think it really did much to even out the tax burden.

Here you go. An equal opportunity bashing....(might have to wait to get pass the advertisement).

http://jibjab.com/

ABW Ambassador
    I'm in favor of a plan I'm calling the "1 to 1 Flat Tax."

If you make 1 dollar, you send it to one of the top 1% weathiest individuals. For example, this year you may be assigned to Warren Buffett. You simply send him that dollar you made. Fast & easy and no forms to fill out.

No need for the rich to go through that messy step of looting the treasury.

Wayne

ABW Ambassador
    *sigh*

If I can buy cigarettes and liquor without state or federal taxes at the Indian Reservation, I'm sure I could buy several other goods without a VAT (if one existed) at the Reservation, too.

It simply isn't going to happen. Far too many people benefit from the current system to just scrap it. Example: I know I would have bought less home if it meant not getting a tax break from the interest. I imagine I'm not alone.
    Dr. Strangeweb, or how I learned how to stop worrying about SERPS and love the WOM.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>It simply isn't going to happen. Far too many people benefit from the current system to just scrap it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm....sort of like affiliate marketing....

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NorthernStudio:
    I'm not worried that an animated movie by the makers of South Park is likely to sway anyone's vote no matter when it's released. Have we grown that stupid?

Wayne <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Although I can't remember the exact quote, and maybe it's out of context, but the brilliant author C.S. Lewis once wrote something along the lines of how easy it is for us to take in bits and pieces of what we learn in life and consider it gained from a lifetime of studying and learning... when it's just bits and pieces and opinions and we don't have a clue about the bigger picture, but we often think we do.

Like me, I don't know much of anything about it at all, but the thought of these movies becoming normal is frightening. The news is biased and bad enough... throw it into our entertainment medium, a medium that youth listen to, and it's like a ploy to twist an entire generation. Are they targets now, maybe not, but who knows later.

Can a movie effect the voters... I would think so. I mean, the reports that were given about the Democrats trashing the White House when Clinton left office still ring in my mind. I mean thats the White House, come on... so you are out of a job, you don't like who is in office, but do you deface a symbol of the entire country over it?

Now, do I really know what happened in the White House? Maybe it didn't get trashed, maybe 2 people did it... who knows... not me, I only know what I heard bits and pieces of on the news. Now make a movie about it. How am I going to feel after that?

Do I have a clue what Arnold Schwarzenegger stands for? I don't even know how to spell his name, and I know less about his political views. And although I do fear politicians getting attention from fame, do I still think it's kinda cool that he is in office?... yeah, I do. Why? Media.

Maybe none of that made sense. Figured I'd chime in.
    I forgot what I was doing.

ABW Ambassador
    I worry more about anyone believing anything they learn from Fox News or the Sludge Report than what they take away from a movie they should have reason enough to know is fiction.

Fox News gleefully reported the rumors you quote of Clinton staffers trashing the White House and stripping Air Force One clean. These allegations were investigated by the Air Force & the GSA who exposed them for what they were, lies emanating from the new administration and repeated often enough that people still believe it to be true.

Fox News is more dangerous than any movie you might see. If anything should be banned during the last two weeks of the campaign, it's Fox News.

Wayne

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> throw it into our entertainment medium, a medium that youth listen to, and it's like a ploy to twist an entire generation. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's called propaganda.

Because movies can be so high impact and influence thought through assorted techniques, I think we should make a law against political movies being released closer to an election than six weeks so people have a chance to discuss them and rebut them. We don't let campaigners get closer to the voting booths than a designated distance. Somehow, I think it is a similar sort of thing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast