Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Generational Differences
    When I was 17, I already had years of work under my belt. Staring with BOTH the NY Daily News and Newsday paper routes (one morning/one afternoon), to flippin' burgers at Bobs Hamburgers, to working at Jones Beach.

I had already saved for and bought an old Ford Falcon.

I graduated a year early and had already joined the military at 17

My son just gave me a preliminary list of what he wants for his 17th birthday

17????????

He is NOT ready to go to Iraq!!

The thought of him behind the wheel of a car is frightening!

He's never even sold lemonade, no less had a real job!

Maybe it's just how a parent thinks - or maybe there was a major difference in our 2 generations.

Either way, it's scary!

All My Best,
    Billy Kay

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    HEy BK I had a paper route, and then I was employee of the month at Dirty Ron's (McDonalds -hehe). Are we the same generation Still have the emp of the month pin.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Are we the same generation?

Newspapers were a nickel each when I delivered them.

When I'd knock on someone's door to collect the total price was a quarter. Loved when the housewife said "I don't have it - come back when my husband's home".

Lady! It's a friggin' quarter!!

Were u in Utah then? Did you deliver in the snow on your banana seat stingray bicycle like me? LOLOL

http and a telephoto
    I didn't have a paper route, but was working at the local Rite Aid starting at 15. I got 1.05 an hour....
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    I grew up near Ithaca, NY and I can't remember how much papers were. I had 65 customers in a one mile loop. Road my BMX bike. Mom would drive me when it was raining, and when it snowed I walked

I also bailed hay for a dairy farm at 13/14. No emp papers, and no worries. It was a killer deal - $5 bill for every wagon we stacked and unloaded Can't tell you how many times I got rocked by flying bails, or how many times I fell off the wagon. Imagine the liabilities involved with that today ))
    Last edited by GravityFed; August 18th, 2010 at 12:40 PM. Reason: more

Aww, man. I, too, had a paper route - out in the country. i earned 1.5 CENTS per paper - had 12 customers on my 3 1/2 mile route when I started. Later in my "career" - while I was in high school, I worked for the same small daily as an "assistant supervisor" of newsboys. I remember going out "selling" subscriptions with the kids - and qualified 15 of them (with a parent) for a trip to the New York World's Fair in Flushing Meadows.

Remember that, Vinny? Trivia Question: Guess the year. LOL

But - with the newer generation??? Both of our "kids" (now 33 and 29) had jobs while in High School and College. Many of you actually have met the 29-year-old, Jill. (I know everyone in this thread thus far have; plus Vinny)
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

http and a telephoto
    Vinny's down for the count today, a stomach bug got him. Or bad eggs benedict.
    Deborah Carney

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    All things I am starting to think about now

http://www.abestweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135970

I had a job from age 16. Tara starting working even earlier.

I worked at a couple of golf courses to earn playing privileges. Usually only 10-12 hours a week but that $70 check was awesome and the responsibility of having to be at work at 6am on a Saturday was a lot to me at that age.

I cannot imagine not having had those experiences.
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay View Post

The thought of him behind the wheel of a car is frightening!
    I am teaching my daughter to drive straight shift now.

He's never even sold lemonade,
    You can't do that today without a business license and a board of health inspection. Need a lawyer to do the paperwork.

it's scary!
    But you gotta love um
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

ABW Ambassador
    I had TWO paper routes and saved up $1100 for my 1st car, a Plymouth convertible [AKA > a chick magnet]

Anybody remember the weekly GRIT newspaper? I had a route when I was 13 or 14. 15 cents a week and I got to keep a whole nickel of it. Now it's a slick magazine published every other month and costs 19.95 a year.
    :rankn-scp John - This is our chosen profession. This is our way. This is what we do.

This reminds me of the Beloit College "Mindset List for 2014" that was just released. Talk about generational differences!

"Most students entering college for the first time this fall—the Class of 2014—were born in 1992. For these students, Benny Hill, Sam Kinison, Sam Walton, Bert Parks and Tony Perkins have always been dead. "

Included on the list -

- Clint Eastwood is better known as a sensitive director than as Dirty Harry.
    - Al Gore has always been animated.
    - Fergie is a pop singer, not a princess.
    - They never twisted the coiled handset wire aimlessly around their wrists while chatting on the phone.

Check out the entire 75 item list. It's pretty funny and very true!
    Last edited by leeann; August 18th, 2010 at 02:34 PM.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Do kids still have paper routes? Still knock on doors to get adults to pay up? I wonder if in small town America if it still goes on.....
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

The world is a different place. When I was 7/8 years old, me and my friends would be MILES away from home - our parents had no idea where we were all day long, and there was no cause for concern; we just had to be home before the streetlights turned on.

Now my own kids are 12 and 13, and they're not allowed to go further than the next corner down. And if I didn't know where they were, I'd be calling 911 if I couldn't find or figure within 2 minutes. And I'm NOT an "over-protective" parent at all.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

I had a lemonade stand when I was 7. (You have to bribe the health inspector with free lemonade. Don't these kids today know anything? LOL.) I tutored Math, English, and Spanish when I was 15. My brother had the paper route. LOL.

I got my driver's license at 17 and I'd have to agree with you. The thought of 17 year olds driving is frightening. LOL.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Merchant Consultant Team View Post
    I had TWO paper routes and saved up $1100 for my 1st car, a Plymouth convertible [AKA > a chick magnet]
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay View Post
    I had already saved for and bought an old Ford Falcon.
    lol, who got the chicks????

(sidenote: Jesse in Iraq????? No military, please please.)
    Deborah Carney

I babysat (like for $5 on weekend nights) and worked at the concession stand at the beach. I felt SO lucky to land that job when I was 15. When I didn't have a paying job, my mother always made us work as "Candy Stripers" at the hospital. We pushed the magazine cart from door to door wearing our little pink and white striped uniforms. Speaking of which, never ever did nurses wear anything but white uniforms, white hose and white shoes. Okay, now I'm feeling OLD.
    Last edited by leeann; August 18th, 2010 at 03:10 PM.
    leeann

before the streetlights turned on.
    you had streetlights?? Wow!
    I had paper route with my brother, he got the prizes for new subs because it wouldn't be right for a girl to go along with all those other carrier guys for a week in Chicago. I got a bicycle out of it anyway, and extra money every week. As soon as I turned 15 I moved up to White Castle for my first paychecks. (pre McDonald's days, lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McWilliams View Post
    but that $70 check was awesome...
    I remember thinking once, "If I could just make $10,000 a year I'd be on easy street.." lol
    leeann

Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    The world is a different place. When I was 7/8 years old, me and my friends would be MILES away from home - our parents had no idea where we were all day long, and there was no cause for concern; we just had to be home before the streetlights turned on.
    Ditto here, and that was even in a rough neighborhood where I grew up, otherwise known as "the other side of the tracks."

We had a family band & my pops gave all the money to me & siblings. Yep, he broke all the child labor laws and we learned early on that "the show must go on." When I was 12, my dad took me out occasionally on his gigs with a "combo" 'cause he was so proud that I could sit in & hold my own for quite a few tunes.

When I graduated high school & got a job, I started paying rent to my parents. That was the norm for working class families back then.

But all that said...jobs then for teens were much more plentiful than they are now. Retirees & the recently laid-off are grabbing even low-level service jobs for themselves to make ends meet. College costs plunge students immediately into huge debt & grads are getting entry level jobs that barely pay enough even when 3-4 share an apartment. Teaching jobs are being cut all over the place. Entry level jobs in corporations are being filled by unpaid interns.

It isn't easy street for these kids. So what can they do?

Affiliate marketing?!
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

http and a telephoto
    Forgot about babysitting, I started doing that when I was 13ish. We had a lot of families in our immediate neighborhood that had young kids. I was a busy babysitter

Hey, I can beat all of you with paper routes.

My family published the weekly newspaper in our small town, and at age 10 I was sitting on the stairs in the basement of the newspaper building, watching the old rotary printing press auto-feeding large sheets of newsprint (4 pages being printed on one side).

My hand was on the stop button for the entire 2.5 hour press run, so when the paper jammed, I pushed the stop button, then ran upstairs to get help.

Eventually, the auto-feeder broke, and the pages had to be manually flipped up by the edge to get a layer of air under them, then carefully fed down into the correct position just in time to be grabbed by the rotating cylinder.

So, my press-watching days were over for awhile -- until at age 16 they allowed ME to start hand-feeding those sheets. What a big day when I first mastered the technique and got the rhythm just right (if you missed the timing, you had to stomp down on a clutch to keep the cylinder from getting printed on and transferring ink to the back side of your next sheet. If you didn't hit the clutch in time, you had to stop the press and clean the ink off the cylinder with gasoline)!

Ahh, those were the days! Washing hands with gasoline to get rid of the ink!

So, you delivered the paper -- I printed it!
    Last edited by dsharpie; August 18th, 2010 at 05:59 PM.

I think this generation is very different than ours. But then again I think my generation was very different than my parents' generation. I had my first paper route around age 10 or 11 and it was a morning paper which meant walking around the neighborhood for hours, in the dark, by myself. Don't think I could let either of my kids do that today.

My dad owned a construction business so we (I have 4 brothers) grew up working on new homes. At 14 I bought my first vehicle which was a Chevy Apache pickup I drove around my parent's property (they had 71 acres). At 17 I had a fight with my parents, moved out and finished high school.

When Greg Jr. was 17 we moved him to Pittsburgh for college. He lived in his own apartment, worked and went to school. He was still our little boy when we moved him but he was his own man when he graduated.

Deb and I were so worried about him all the time so I can't even imagine him being shipped overseas for a tour of duty. We were terrified when our daughter learned to drive. It's not you Billy, it's us parents-all of us.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Bill 1964
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny O'Hare View Post
    Bill 1964
    It was a fascinating experience. My single most vivid recollection was a "preview" of an Imax-type projection system. That, and me being a high school kid leading a group of 15 newsboys and 10 parents on a trip "far" from home. The paper's circulation manager was really in charge. But he got sick on the bus trip to NY and spent the entire day sleeping in the bus in the parking lot.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast