I just got hit big time by Linkwalker. Never heard of this one before, so I checked to see what it was.

This seems to be their main page.

Anyone ever been hit by this thing? They clicked HUNDREDS of my links on one website in less than 10 minutes!

They claim to generate a database of links and send a report of bad ones to webmasters. I didn't ask them to! But it could be a nice way to find out if you have any links that need to be replaced.

I didn't spend much time looking into it tonight, but is there any use of having this robot hit our pages?

I periodically get emails from them telling me my site is down and (hopefully) shortly thereafter, my site is up. I don't find it useful. I have never paid or solicited them.

Cambridgeshire, England
    I used to get reports from them, sometimes quite useful reporting on broken links in a site which I would then go and fix. The idea is you're so pleased with this that you pay them to do it regularly.

I never did pay them and they stopped reporting to me, is it worth paying for? who knows?

They often send emails offering their services free for a month...they check your links to see if they are broken and that kind of thing. Most of my reports had tons of links they could not verify because they were in javascript and there were some bad links they caught that were dead, but overall I don't think the service was worth the price being charged.

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread