Question buycostumes.com links
    Hello. I'm a newbie around here and to Affiliate Marketing. I just joined CJ so I could sign up with buycostumes.com and I am working on my first site.

I created the text links with my ID # for buycostumes.com but I would like to find out if and how to make the page open in a different page when clicked on. Right now when you click on the link or picture of costume it opens buycostumes.com on the same page but I would like it to open in a different page. Is this possible? I know when your using WordPress to make links it asks you how you want it displayed but not sure how to do it with the links I'm creating thru buycostumes.com

Any help or tips is greatly appreciated. This is the last hurdle I need to get over before I can work on my other sites.
    Thanks

Where it says target="_top" in the linking code, just change the "_top" to "_blank".
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

I went into code to look for target="_top" but do not see that in any of the links I made thru buycostumes.com link generator.

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong when creating the link.
    Last edited by mamabear2007; August 22nd, 2010 at 10:27 AM. Reason: text wasn't showing right

ok I was looking around in CJ in the get links sections and I see that links for products by buycostumes.com that are made by them have the target="_top". How do I get a new page to open in a custom link when using the link generator?

When you get your link at CJ you will see an option that says - Set link to open a new browser window? - click on the yes box next to it and then get your code.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

thanks. the thing is I'm not using the ads/banners that they have made already thru CJ. I'm making custom links so I can have the link direct to the exact costume I want.

Just add target="_blank" to your links and they will open in a new tab/window when clicked.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates

just add target="_blank" to your own code.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

ok thanks. do I add that line of code anywhere in the link code or do I have to put it in certain spot?

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Your link would look like this:

HTML Code:
    <a href="YourCJAffLink" target="_blank">
    It's a good idea to spend some time learning some basic HTML and CSS coding.
    Last edited by Kellie aka Ms. B; August 22nd, 2010 at 01:13 PM.

http and a telephoto
    Also check your links after you post them, if you aren't using the datafeed or product links from the CJ interface direct links might not work. Some merchants don't support it.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    You may also be able to make the link open in a new browser via whatever you are using to build your pages. For example, you can do this with WordPress and Dreamweaver through their interfaces.

Step 1. You can use buycostumes link generator to make sure your affiliate link is formatted correctly so you will get credit for the sale.
    http://www.buycostumes.com/Pages/Aff...Generator.aspx

Step 2. Once you hit "create text link" and get the code just add the target="_blank" to your link as directed above by Kellie's post above.

BTW, welcome to ABW.

Thanks Everyone.

@ladidah- I am using the text link generator thru buycostumes.com but when I add the code Kellie posted it's not working and you can see the added code on my site.

I tried including one of the links I made from the link generator but it only shows the link it won't show the actual code so you can see if I'm doing something wrong.

I don't have a lot of time to learn HTML or Code b/c I need to finish this site and my others as they pertain to Halloween and just need to get this done.

My head hurts. I didn't realize this would be so difficult I thought they would have an option like they do on the links that are premade.

It's not difficult or time-consuming to learn basic html.

There's a nice step-by-step tutorial at htmlgoodies.com

There are plenty of folks who are willing to help in any way they can along the way, but if you say to them that you "don't have time" to learn and do things yourself, they will probably not have time for you any more.

I do plan on taking some time to learn the basics but right now I just thought there would be a quick simple way to resolve my issue.

As I mentioned I'm in a time crunch and I have a 3yr old to take care of in between trying to do this that's all.

I appreciate everyone's time and tips but I just need to get over this hurdle quickly so I can get this one site done and move on to the next ones b/c of time sensitivity. If I wasn't working on things for Halloween I would be glad to take the extra time to learn some basic HTML right now. Since I'm looking for help with one specific issue not redesigning a whole site, I figured I could get a quick tip and get it done.

http and a telephoto
    If you are in a time crunch you will probably have to take the links as they are if they don't work with the added code. Everyone here has given you the exact code to use, and if it isn't working, then it won't work with the link generator.

When you are going fast, you get what you get. You can go back and fix it later, or you can be "stuck" and not get anywhere.

Have you sent a message directly to the buycostumes affiliate manager? They may be able to tell you if what you want to do will work or not, and that could save you time investigating.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Thanks. I wasn't sure if I was putting code in wrong place or as you said maybe it's the link generator. I will email affiliate manager tomorrow. Thanks for your time.

No affiliate should create a site without _blank in their arsenal

Hi mamabear2007 - please email me direct at: kristen at buycostumes.com - I can walk you through this entire process and have a very basic breakdown of CJ links to share with you so that you know how to 'read' them. I would love to get you up to speed because then the foundation is laid. Hopefully we'll be in touch soon, I'd also like to test the links you have created already! ~Kristen Grace | Affiliate Marketing Manager

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread