An advertiser has approached me with a 'joint venture'. He owns an excellent domain name containing two highly competitive keywords in an area I specialize in. He bought the domain for much more than I could afford to buy one for. He wants me to develop it - and then we'd split the affiliate/advertising revenue 50/50.

If you would do it, with what stipulations?

If you wouldn't, why?

Thanks!

the person who owns the domain ultimately has the control over the site, an unscrupulous person could later copy the site and point the domain to a different host you don't have access to.

What is stopping you from developing the site on your own with a different domain name? The domain name itself will not guarantee success unless perhaps HE plans to do heavy marketing and branding.

Will he also be doing development work? is it more than just an affiliate type site? When the checks are cut who's name is on them? What happens if you do all the heavy lifting(development) and the site never becomes successful for any number of reasons?

get all the payment and ownership details on paper and signed, etc..

I'd also charge a development fee of sorts. I wouldn't waste my time doing most or all the work on a project for free that I didn't own 100% just because someone flashed a shiny domain in my face But that's just me.

It would probably also depend on the amount of work needed. If it's a 2 hour job then why not, if it's a 3 week job then I'd be more cautious and thorough.

Just to let you know I have not done a joint venture before.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    OK I'm not an expert on this so I'll give you good novice advice. Consult an attorney specializing in copyright if this is a full-time large sum venture.

Make sure you secure copyright so you maintain content control.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

I agree with Cheesehead... at the very least get everything in writing...

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

Ditto what cheesehead said; when it comes to any type of partnership contact your legal team before you go forward, your attorney can close any holes not thought of.

DO NOT expect your attorney to know what you a webmasters are privy to, you will need to point your attorney to CNN and the like news articles, also point your attorney to any type of legal battles presently taking place concerning domain issues (hunt google for them). When speaking with your attorney makes sure he is up to date on all the possible theft methods geared towards the Internet. Most attorneys are very competent until it comes to the Internet. Everyone I have dealt with gets up to speed normally within 2-3 months!

I would just go out and build a site yourself for this area if you are interested, in my experience the domain name rarely has anything to do with the success of the venture.

A wise man once told me:

"Memories fade, people lie, but documents always tell the truth."

Get it in writing. And everybody is right. If I like a site, I am going to bookmark it if it has a hard name to remember or I will just find it the same way I found it the first time through the searches. Pets.com was a great domain name...Oops, they are gone...Domain name is only one element.
    Chris Mayr
    When amassed, even dust can become a mountain.

There is a finite amount of intelligence but an infinite amount of stupidity in the universe

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    all replies above are excellent and I agree!
    been down this road...
    climb up to 50,000 feet and look down...
    what do I see?

an entity that wants to sub you for dev work...
    an entity that bought something in existence...
    an entity with enough money to pay (I mean likely overpay) for the domain name and current set up that you value less (practically the same thing as not being able to afford what he paid)...

you're on his list of things to do - to sub out creative and some dev...

and that's not the nature of affiliate marketers...

when you get it in writing, I bet you'll see that you're not an owner, controlling its destiny, ultimate decision maker, etc...

my guess is...
    what brought you to IAM, will drive you away from this.... the limits of other people AND not being rewarded appropriately for your true contribution to a success...

but hey, this is likely something we each (myself included) have to learn and relearn ourselves - because exploring opportunities is also our nature...

get it in writing - see what's there and what's not there... ask some questions... and get money up front for a defined amount of work...

and look up the term "scope creep" in case that's not already in your vocab...

have fun!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> If you wouldn't, why? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Partnerships are just to complicated and chancey, at some point, if the price ever gets right you'll end up stabbed in the back. Just a matter of time and what price he has on his ethics.
    Mash Your Motor!

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread