Subdomains vs Subdirectories
    (Maybe this question has been asked many times before)

I run a review website whereby I review natural health remedies. My website divides into main pages and then product pages. My question is: should I place the product pages in a sub-domain to each product or should I arrange each product in a sub directory? Is a site like mine will be good if each product will be handled in a sub-domain?

Hi,

Sub-domains essentially are separate sites - they're set up on their own domain. I don't know which development / CMS package you're using, but you would need to add and removes sites as you add and remove products.

When dealing with separate but related products the normal route is to use sub-directories.

If you're promoting non-related products, the alternative is to build a separate site (not sub-domain) for each product.

A sub-domain is often used to separate a particular function from the parent site. Examples are:

blog.yourdomain.com
    forum.yourdomain.com
    help.yourdomain.com
    etc...

Affiliate Manager
    If you have a homepage where you can find many products not related to each other, then you can set a menu with the different categories, then there will be no need for you to build another site.

Remember to use a hybrid homepage, meaning: referring to "sales" for example and not to meds or whatsoever.

Hope it helps.

Good Luck.

Sub-domains essentially are separate sites
    That is the case according to the search engines. Consider if the content you are describing is enough to stand on its own. Typically I would stay away from subdomains - unless your site is well established and you will be developing external linking to the subdomains also. There are things to consider first if going that route.

What is the benefit you are anticipating might happen if you do use subdomains as you descrbie?

Subdomains vs subdirectory
    Quote Originally Posted by Logan View Post
    That is the case according to the search engines. Consider if the content you are describing is enough to stand on its own. Typically I would stay away from subdomains - unless your site is well established and you will be developing external linking to the subdomains also. There are things to consider first if going that route.

What is the benefit you are anticipating might happen if you do use subdomains as you descrbie?
    I am trying to see if one product sell better then the others I will heavily promote that sub-domain

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread