Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
  1. #1
    http and a telephoto
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    17,708
    Great Blog Posts About Events and Behavior
    Many women have been shaking their heads at the way people have been behaving at recent professional events, not limited to Affiliate Summit. Karen Garcia did a great post about the Bikini Babes that showed up, and now this post by Jen Goode covers some more behavior.

    I think I will be writing something as well, because as a woman at industry events, or as an attendee in general, there appears to be a lot of "line crossing" and assumptions that are being made.

    The really big point is to remember that your behavior at industry events leaves a lasting impression on the people that you want to work with. As Karen says in her article, I'm not a prude, but there are more things crossing the line.

    If people become uncomfortable being around you in person - they aren't going to be willing to work with you online either.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

  2. #2
    Analytics Dude Kevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    5,904
    IMHO, booth babes don't make me any more or less likely to approach a booth, or engage in conversation. Sure, I stare at them, but that doesn't make me think of business, per se.....
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

    Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

  3. #3
    ABW Ambassador 2busy's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2005
    Location
    Tropical Mountaintop
    Posts
    5,636
    Wonder what they think it makes the women attendees think of?

  4. #4
    http and a telephoto
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    17,708
    Well Karen did a good job of explaining how she felt. I'm actually more concerned about other behaviors and as Jen said in her post it's pretty offensive to show up at a party and find yourself surrounded by naked women. I think that many men in the industry also need to pay attention to how they are treating the women that they associate with. Some forget that an industry event is an extension of their business and not a never ending party where "guy jokes" that are offensive to women are acceptable.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

  5. #5
    Moderator
    Join Date
    April 6th, 2006
    Posts
    2,689
    Thanks for posting this.. I wasn't there, and while I'm no prude, I would have been offended by this type of publicity stunt (being a woman myself).

    Are we professionals or frat boys?

    I really wish there was some kind of comparable behavior that would make some men understand how/why this is so offensive (I'm talking about the men responsible for this promotional gimmick).

  6. #6
    ABW Ambassador ladidah's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 15th, 2007
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    1,888
    Often the people that pay for this kind of entertainment or way of promoting their networks are boys who barely finished high school and that is all they have on their mind. It is a male dominated industry, esp. the numerous CPA networks, and often times they forget that some of their affiliates are women. It just shows how desperate they are.

  7. #7
    Beachy Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2005
    Posts
    8,266
    The bikini marketing site/network seems to have skated around [at least] three of the "Attendee, Exhibitor/Sponsor Terms and Conditions:"

    • Offensive Material – Exhibitor may NOT display marketing collateral containing illegal subject matter, racially or ethnically discourteous content or depict nudity or sexual conduct of any kind.
    • discourteous content or depict nudity or sexual conduct of any kind (ex. promotional condoms), may be sold, given, or distributed in any way. Offensive materials are determined at the sole discretion of Show Management.
    • Aisle Traffic Flow: The distribution of marketing collateral is restricted to your exhibition space. Obstruction of aisles so as to prevent and or impede traffic flow is prohibited.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

  8. #8
    Banned Snowfinch's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 16th, 2008
    Location
    The Asteroid Belt
    Posts
    580
    Wow! Thank you LOXLY for writing this and starting this thread. I don't attend these events and am very glad I don't because I would have had to abruptly put an end to some of the stuff mentioned.

    Sexual harassment is against the law. Sexual harassment comes in many forms. Anyone who felt sexually threatened or suffered any form of sexual "mistreatment" should probably talk to a lawyer.

    If those offended don't take a stand it will just get worse and worse.

    Better face it head on before it becomes a train that's out of control.

    I know a little about discrimination and a little about sexual harassment. Like I said, it comes in many forms.

    I have been a member of this forum for about a year and a half. I have tried to occasionally reveal what was going to happen in affiliate marketing if we didn't watch it.

    I would love someone who knows more about this topic, from "dirty and offensive" jokes to displays of the degrading of women to PM me with those who took part (merchants, networks, ect.).

    LOXLY, if you write anything about this, please let me know (PM), just incase I miss it. Don't come in here often.

  9. #9
    Believe knight01's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 14th, 2006
    Location
    Dayton, Ohio
    Posts
    1,815
    I'm not defending the indefensible, but there is a segment of the industry that is testosterone driven. While those that hang out on ABW are generally a little more mature and are product or retail driven there are forums that not only encourage merchants / networks that use those types of unseemly stunts they will allow members to post pictures topless women in messages with minimal warning. It is an example of the incremental degradation of professionalism that many fear would happen at ABW in the thread about adult programs.

    To my knowledge there is no minimum level of professionalism required to exhibit at Affiliate Summit or any other trade show other than the check clears. Each exhibitor tries to grab the attention of the attendees in any way they can. The best way to handle it is to ignore it, generally speaking we're not in their demographic for affiliates anyway.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

  10. #10
    http and a telephoto
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    17,708
    Quote Originally Posted by knight01 View Post
    To my knowledge there is no minimum level of professionalism required to exhibit at Affiliate Summit or any other trade show other than the check clears. Each exhibitor tries to grab the attention of the attendees in any way they can. The best way to handle it is to ignore it, generally speaking we're not in their demographic for affiliates anyway.
    That is fairly incorrect. They don't allow adult or gambling. I honestly don't know if the bikini babes had a booth, I only saw them in the meet market on Sunday, and since I was working 2 tables that were separated by a few rows, I only saw them when they came in.

    I'm trying to point out not this one specific incident folks, trying to get people to think about what they do at conventions and how it affects others. I guess it is easier to focus on the bikini babes because it's more fun to talk about?

    There are people in this industry that think it is ok to not act professionally, testosterone driven or not. It is usually women that get the short end of that, and there are entire networks that think exploiting women is fun.

    I didn't get my article written today, but it will be done tomorrow.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

  11. #11
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Nunya, Business
    Posts
    23,684
    Sexual harassment? People in bathing suits? I see that stuff at the beach and swimming pools. We should save that for real incidents of sexual harassment.

    From what I read, they were repping the Bikini Babes network, so bikini babes would fit.

    Having said that, from what I can see and read, the network is pretty much a joke and I don't see it working/lasting.

    And do agree that networks can do better than bikini babes and it's not a good look for your company. I know there have been other incidents/networks with women in bikinis/booth babes etc.
    Last edited by Trust; August 24th, 2010 at 12:46 AM.

  12. #12
    http and a telephoto
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    17,708
    *sigh* did *anyone* read the posts I linked to?

  13. #13
    Comfortably Numb John Powell's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 17th, 2005
    Location
    Bayou Country, LA
    Posts
    3,432
    I was buying tires a few years back and there was a car audio shop next door. I looked out in the parking lot of the shopping center and they had too girls in thong type swim wear promoting the audio shop. Will never buy from that company or even set foot in their shop, even though the girls looked good.

    Yes I read all the linked posts Loxly.
    Last edited by John Powell; August 24th, 2010 at 01:10 AM. Reason: Loxly posted while I was.


  14. #14
    Banned Snowfinch's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 16th, 2008
    Location
    The Asteroid Belt
    Posts
    580
    If read the both post LOXLY.

    TRUST - I also read this written by LOXLY... "Some forget that an industry event is an extension of their business and not a never ending party where "guy jokes" that are offensive to women are acceptable."

    And yes, under the laws of most states, that's sexual harassment. The parties hosting the event(s) and/or the teller of those jokes can be held responsible for offensive jokes.

    Listen at some of the comments on this thread...

    "I stare at them."

    "even though the girls looked good."

    Do any of you think how women feel about those comments? It sounds like they are nothing more than a sex object. Appreciate their bodies and looks, but not their character or their intellect.

    That's sexism in my book and a lot of women's books too, if they'd admit it.

    We fuss about about an PRIVATE Adult Forum, but some of those same ones fussing to prevent it, but partook in a summit with sexism and sexual content. Sort of two faced if ask me. Bet they got their eyes full too. But play all goody-goody in here.

    Sorry, it ain't a Straight White Man's World no more. Women have the right to be treated with respect and not as pieces of meat to be devour by lustful eyes. Gays have the right to exist and not be ignored, like SAS did and does when it list those "holidays" that are mostly "non-holidays", but didn't list Pride Month. People of ALL races, religions, genders, sexual orientations, cultures, marital status, ethnic background, political affiliation and nationalities have the right to be treated with respect and equality.

    Think before you speak and type. Let me come in here and make "I stare at HOT GUYS comments" or "those GUYS looked good" and see how far that goes.

    A Gay Guy saying that in here. LOL! We know what would happen.

    Of course, I have more respect than that.

    Treat the women in this industry and all women with respect. Many of them work just as hard, and I am sure some work harder, than a lot of guys in here. Offensive jokes and comments are uncalled for. And yes, it is boardline sexual harassment.

    This forum isn't immune to it. I see it quite often. Just, since its directed at females, it is overlooked and ignored most of the time.

  15. #15
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 20th, 2010
    Location
    Tel Aviv
    Posts
    19
    Thanks loxly, for bringing up this important issue. I read both posts you linked to, and couldn't agree more. I wasn't there to see the bikini babes, but unfortunately you can find them in almost every trade show across different industries. Sadly, these girls that come to make a quick buck, have no clue about the product / service they are promoting and that's unprofessional, to say the least. It's beyond me why anyone would want to associate their product with such a cheap strategy.

  16. #16
    Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 7th, 2007
    Location
    Cuautitlán, Edo. de México
    Posts
    1,725
    Perhaps they need a new rule. If you are going to have bikini babes, you need to have an equal number of speedo dudes.

  17. #17
    2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    St Clair Shores MI.
    Posts
    17,328
    ... then again Grandma Nancy Pelosi's picture on my computer screen scares the heck out of Charlie. I just wouldn't allow them to give any keynote speeches
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

    "What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

  18. #18
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Nunya, Business
    Posts
    23,684
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowfinch View Post
    If read the both post LOXLY.

    TRUST - I also read this written by LOXLY... "Some forget that an industry event is an extension of their business and not a never ending party where "guy jokes" that are offensive to women are acceptable."

    And yes, under the laws of most states, that's sexual harassment. The parties hosting the event(s) and/or the teller of those jokes can be held responsible for offensive jokes.

    Listen at some of the comments on this thread...

    "I stare at them."

    "even though the girls looked good."

    Do any of you think how women feel about those comments? It sounds like they are nothing more than a sex object. Appreciate their bodies and looks, but not their character or their intellect.

    That's sexism in my book and a lot of women's books too, if they'd admit it.

    We fuss about about an PRIVATE Adult Forum, but some of those same ones fussing to prevent it, but partook in a summit with sexism and sexual content. Sort of two faced if ask me. Bet they got their eyes full too. But play all goody-goody in here.

    Sorry, it ain't a Straight White Man's World no more. Women have the right to be treated with respect and not as pieces of meat to be devour by lustful eyes. Gays have the right to exist and not be ignored, like SAS did and does when it list those "holidays" that are mostly "non-holidays", but didn't list Pride Month. People of ALL races, religions, genders, sexual orientations, cultures, marital status, ethnic background, political affiliation and nationalities have the right to be treated with respect and equality.

    Think before you speak and type. Let me come in here and make "I stare at HOT GUYS comments" or "those GUYS looked good" and see how far that goes.

    A Gay Guy saying that in here. LOL! We know what would happen.

    Of course, I have more respect than that.

    Treat the women in this industry and all women with respect. Many of them work just as hard, and I am sure some work harder, than a lot of guys in here. Offensive jokes and comments are uncalled for. And yes, it is boardline sexual harassment.

    This forum isn't immune to it. I see it quite often. Just, since its directed at females, it is overlooked and ignored most of the time.
    Maybe sexism but not sexual harassment. Doesn't fit any of the definitions of sexual harassment. You merely being in the presence and being uncomfortable of somebody in a bathing suit does not constitute sexual harassment. Goes back to the other discussion about people not liking, being uncomfortable with lingerie stores in the mall and some of the displays. That's not sexual harassment either. And then you're bringing in white man, gays and all kinds of other stuff that have nothing to do with this. Gotta learn to pick your battles and real ones at that.

  19. #19
    MasterMike HardwareGeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    3,810
    Trade shows have been this way for years. I been to trade shows where hookers were offered and were covered by the company hosting the party.

    A lot more business meetings are also taking place in strip clubs.

    Lets not get started with these type of events in europe.

    Sometimes at CES you wonder if the party your attending is for a tech company or a porn company since both ces and the porn show go on at the same time.

  20. #20
    ABW Ambassador AffiliateSummitMissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 9th, 2006
    Posts
    559
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly View Post
    Well Karen did a good job of explaining how she felt. I'm actually more concerned about other behaviors and as Jen said in her post it's pretty offensive to show up at a party and find yourself surrounded by naked women.
    Just a point of clarification here, I don't think that Jen was speaking about attending a party during Affiliate Summit in which there were naked women.

    If there was one that took place, I'd like to know know about it because that would *infuriate* me!
    Shine on,


    Missy Ward

    Co-founder of Affiliate Summit, FeedFront Magazine , GeekCast.fm & itsaWAHMthing.com
    Co-Publisher of Revenews.com and Revenews.org
    Founder of AffiliateMarketersGiveBack.com Personal Blog: MissyWard.com

  21. #21
    ABW Ambassador SunshineTricia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 7th, 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    896
    Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateSummitMissy View Post
    Just a point of clarification here, I don't think that Jen was speaking about attending a party during Affiliate Summit in which there were naked women.

    If there was one that took place, I'd like to know know about it because that would *infuriate* me!
    I think Jen was talking about a different conference with the painting of the naked women. But I do think some of the parties at ASW10 were out of line this year. Like "Dough for Hoes" at a strip club. I keep telling myself that because it's not officially sponsored by Affiliate Summit, it's really none of my business. But it does make me question the integrity of a lot of people in our industry.
    --Tricia Meyer-- I love being the exception to the rule.

    Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

  22. #22
    The "other" left wing davidh's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    3,492
    I can understand why some people would be turned off and apprehensive about attending events because the behavior of some attendees may spoil the broth.

    Personally I am apprehensive about taking the time to go to events like this (and I'm not speaking of AS specifically) because the pictures that many people post online after the events give the very clear impression that if I did go, it would be a roll of the dice as to who would be too drunk or hung over to be capable of any productive outcome, and who would not be. I don't want to gamble like that, so I go with the "sure thing".... staying home. That way I know I will either have a productive work day, a good day out with the kids, or both. And we do live in a day and age where there are enough communication methods - telephone, internet, etc - to be able to catch the right people at the right time anyway
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

  23. #23
    ABW Ambassador CathyM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 30th, 2006
    Location
    Torrance, CA
    Posts
    893
    If there was one that took place, I'd like to know know about it because that would *infuriate* me!
    I found it easily with a google search. Andrew Wee has a picture on his blog.

    Oops, it was actually Affiliate Summit West 2010.
    Last edited by CathyM; August 26th, 2010 at 12:04 PM.

  24. #24
    ABW Ambassador AffiliateSummitMissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 9th, 2006
    Posts
    559
    Quote Originally Posted by helpingmoms View Post
    I think Jen was talking about a different conference with the painting of the naked women. But I do think some of the parties at ASW10 were out of line this year. Like "Dough for Hoes" at a strip club. I keep telling myself that because it's not officially sponsored by Affiliate Summit, it's really none of my business. But it does make me question the integrity of a lot of people in our industry.
    Thanks Trish. Yes, several folks have just sent me messages to let me know what conference that Jen was referring to with respect to the naked women painting at a strip club for their official party.

    All I can say is that I know that Shawn and I wish that we could put a stop to the folks that throw these types of "unsanctioned" parties. Unfortunately, as we have no control over their events, I don't see any way around it except for us to not promote them, which in the case of the "Dough" party, we didn't anyway, simply because of the event name.

    And, should the occasion rise where nudity did turn up at a party that I may have popped up on my blog, I would hope that someone would tell me so that I could speak to the company that threw the event about it and ensure that I didn't promote them again.

    Over the course of the last 20 years, I've come across events in various industries where I've had to shake my head at as to what the sponsor was thinking. All I can do is ensure that the type of networking events/parties that I (Affiliate Summit) endorse, does not include naked women, or men for that matter.
    Shine on,


    Missy Ward

    Co-founder of Affiliate Summit, FeedFront Magazine , GeekCast.fm & itsaWAHMthing.com
    Co-Publisher of Revenews.com and Revenews.org
    Founder of AffiliateMarketersGiveBack.com Personal Blog: MissyWard.com

  25. #25
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Nunya, Business
    Posts
    23,684
    "But it does make me question the integrity of a lot of people in our industry."

    With that, like any other business, we have a lot of people/companies in this business that have no integrity, some are straight up crooks. It'll reflect sometimes.

    There are just a lot stupid people/companies out there. I remember reading a poll Shawn did about booth babes and the results showed, it's not helping your company out at all, it's hurting it. So if you do things that hurt your company, you're just stupid. Don't think we'll ever find a cure for that one.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What's the protocol on posting blog posts around here?
    By Ashley@50 in forum Newbie Affiliate FAQs & Helpful Articles
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: August 8th, 2013, 05:18 PM
  2. All Posts Gone From My Blog (Update - Solved)
    By Trust in forum Blogging, Mobile and Social Media
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: August 27th, 2010, 04:22 PM
  3. affiliate summit was great - but I missed some of you, events and a party
    By Jorge - SHOPiMAR in forum Events and Gatherings
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: July 13th, 2007, 11:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •