Subdomain vs New Domain
    Hi,

I have an aggregated price comparison site (my username dot com), that has roughly 1 million products. I'm guessing there are limits to the number of pages google with index from this domain. So...

The question I have is if I add a subdomain for each category/subcategory will this increase the number of pages google will index from the site or...

Am I just better of with a different more focused domain name for each category/subcategory.

Opinions?

Well, Google will almost always rank a domain higher than a subdomain, but your situation is a little difficult.

First off, why do you need a subdomain? Why not simply use the categories like your site already has? Personally, I'd stick to what you're using and focus on doing a better job for your on-page SEO.

Pushing a category to a new domain isn't going to be the right choice here. I believe you'd make a major mistake by switching to subdomains, too.

Clenard, why do you believe the switch to subdomains would hurt SEO?
    Just curious
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7 View Post
    Clenard, why do you believe the switch to subdomains would hurt SEO?
    Just curious
    Any time you change the structure of a website - it can have a negative affect on the rankings, unless they're minor changes and you can 302 all of the old links. All of those incoming links start pointing to disappearing pages, the pages that Google has indexed are now gone, so how can they continue ranking them? That's where 302'ing comes in, but it's still a hassle.

When it comes to subdomains, Google doesn't seem to give them as much love as normal /directories/. There's a lot of case studies to prove that and I've noticed the same problems myself over the years.

A lot of people tend to want to create more of a (somewhat) separated site when using Subdomains, and I truly believe Google feels the same way when viewing structures and content.

In the end it's up to the OP to test what he wants, but I think it's a bad idea to portray the categories as entirely new sites, whereas the current structure holds up well on sites such as Amazon.com

BTW, I'm simply assuming this is what the OP is referring to when asking about switching categories over to subdomains. Hope I'm on the same subject lol

A quote from an interview with Matt Cutts

Question
    Let's talk a little bit about the concept of crawl budget. My understanding has been that Googlebot would come to do a website knowing how many pages is was going to take that day, and then it would leave once it was done with those pages.
    Part of answer
    There is also not a hard limit on our crawl. The best way to think about it is that the number of pages that we crawl is roughly proportional to your PageRank. So if you have a lot of incoming links on your root page, we'll definitely crawl that. Then your root page may link to other pages, and those will get PageRank and we'll crawl those as well. As you get deeper and deeper in your site, however, PageRank tends to decline.
    The interview is defineitely worth a read

link ...ww.stonetemple.com/articles/interview-matt-cutts-012510.shtml

If only I could spell definitely

Quote Originally Posted by maiaa View Post
    A quote from an interview with Matt Cutts

Question

Part of answer

The interview is defineitely worth a read

link ...ww.stonetemple.com/articles/interview-matt-cutts-012510.shtml
    Right, but if links that you've been building over the years are going to pages that are 404'ed, you lose that link juice, which is why you HAVE to 302 all of the old pages or you have issues. Not to mention the fact that when Google starts recrawling pages they have in their index, and those pages are gone, your site will face a big problem. Matt Cutts can't help you there

Subdomains can be treated as a separate domain, which creates another set of problems. Trust.

ABW Ambassador
    "There is also not a hard limit on our crawl. The best way to think about it is that the number of pages that we crawl is roughly proportional to your PageRank. So if you have a lot of incoming links on your root page, we'll definitely crawl that. Then your root page may link to other pages, and those will get PageRank and we'll crawl those as well. As you get deeper and deeper in your site, however, PageRank tends to decline."

Hold up, I thought Google said Page Rank didn't mean anything**? haha. I remember having this conversation and it didn't make sense to me.

Where did this come from, that Page Rank didn't mean anything? Who would benefit from people believing that? Well, Google would. Because they try to fight spam and don't want people buying and selling links for Page Rank, so it's in their best interest for people to believe that. I also pointed out, well if that was the case, that Page Rank didn't mean anything. Why is it still in the toolbar? Why do they still update it? Wny do they still tell users it means something? Because it does.

** Actually I never saw that. Just some people posting it, other people believing it and reposting it.
    Last edited by Trust; September 1st, 2010 at 12:46 AM.

Why is it still in the toolbar? Why do they still update it?
    A cruel, cruel joke on "SEO's".
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Just to keep us guessing.

ABW Ambassador
    It's payback time. Google slapped me a few times, I'm about to get some green.

Get some pizza first; you're gonna need to carbo-load for that venture.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Damn! And I expected a simple yes or no

Just kidding thanks for the feedback.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread