Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Conversion Rates down
    Has anyone noticed a reduction in conversion rates since April? We were at 12% conversion and now are only at 5.5%. Our traffic/clicks are the same, if not a bit up from April so we are not sure what is going on.

A little more information we just found out. We just talked with a merchant who said that Google changed their links in early August and that 3 publishers contacted him noticing a drop in conversion rates at that time. They moved to using CJ for this merchants coupons, and the conversion rates went back up.

So, anyone else noticing a drop in conversion rates?

So they are telling you that a link change has affected the conversion rate? That would make sense if the conversion rate went to 0% because the old links don't work any more. Or are they saying that the new links only work *sometimes*?
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Specifics are scarse right now, which is why we are trying to figure out the issue. There WAS a change in how things are tracked in GAN, and this one merchant has stated that he's had 2 other publishers have complained to him about reductions in conversions since those changes. Those conversion percentages went back up to normal once they switch over to CJ.

We've seen a massive drop in conversion percentage over the past several months. March was at 12% and we are now at 5.5%. We've had both our tech team AND the Google tech team look at our system and neither of us can find anything wrong. The users are getting directed to the GAN servers just fine, the cookie is getting set, and the user is getting directed to the merchant landing page. The sale is just not getting recorded. Either the users are just not completing the sale, or the final tracking piece is just not working correctly.

I've found another forum where some others have also mentioned lower conversions as of late. As to what is the cause, I don't know at the moment. Things are pointing to something on the Google side (since clicks are getting recorded in the system), but whatever it is, we just need it fixed. That is why we are trying to see if anyone else is having these issues. Maybe a common denominator can be found...

Tax Paying Member
    Just curious............

Did you make any other changes at this time.....ie.....change hosts or site themes, etc.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

March 8.7
    April 5.7
    May 8.7
    June 6.5
    July 7.8

No real anomalies here.. August is down, but clicks are higher than usual across the board (some good natural SERP).

Hope this helps..
    Last edited by teezone; August 24th, 2010 at 06:47 PM.

ABW Ambassador
    Also, you mentioned seeing the drop since April but then mentioned Google changed their links in early August. So the drop was happening before the change.
    Last edited by Trust; August 24th, 2010 at 07:01 PM.

half saochee
    Yes, we saw a decrease of 2% in our conversions from April. We DID have a site redesign at that time, and so we went through a transition period where Google Search dropped our rankings as they tend to do on a complete site redesign, and thus our traffic suffered some during that time period. We weren't too concerned about 2%. Around the beginning of August is when it cratered. We also work with several other Affiliate Networks. Their conversion rates have since returned to normal after our drop in April...it is only GAN that took a nose dive.

We've had the GAN technical team look at our site, click on our links, and do some test sales, and they say everything is working correctly. That's why we are pulling our hair out here trying to figure out what is going on. Since we have found some other publishers (not a lot) that are also experiencing this, I wanted to put this out to a wider audience and see if there are others out there with the same issues.

We are doing some in-depth research into our numbers right now. It could be that just a few merchants are causing the drastic decrease. We are keeping our mind open to all possibilities and hopefully will find a solution quick.

ABW Ambassador
    I just checked my stats and it's kind of like teezones in the sense it's pretty steady. It's probably this - "It could be that just a few merchants are causing the drastic decrease."

Maybe take each merchant you're getting sales with and chart the conversion rate, month by month. Maybe one or more will pop out as having some issues. Also with doing that, if you see some of your merchants holding steady thru those months, then you know it's not a widespread GAN issue and probably more merchant specific.
    Last edited by Trust; August 25th, 2010 at 02:41 PM.

I had go go through all my links and replace a bunch of them, as GAN without warning up and turned them off. It would have been nice if they'd communicated that "by the way we're going to start shutting off a bunch of old links on August the whateverth" in advance. Maybe started in a month ago sending a daily report of "links to soon be shut off that are getting clicks". Instead, the communication they put out previously suggested that the "legacy links" would continue to work for the forseeable future, and indeed most of them do, but I have thousands of links, and have been having to play whack a mole to try and find all the dead ones. My stats are off slightly this month with GAN, I suspect as a result.
    Last edited by TI Master; August 26th, 2010 at 11:15 PM.

I want to reopen this thread, as my conversion has dropped by 70% in the month of September. Yes, 70%.. and conversion is actually UP at other networks.

There's a big yellow bar across the page that indicates a delay in sales reporting for July/August.. when I opened a support ticket to ask what that means, this is what I received:

"If you have activity that was impacted by the recent data update you will
    see that activity reflected in your account by September 20th, 2010."

That's not an answer..

I would like to know exactly what happened with July/August (which were actually fine for me).. and if anyone else is seeing a drop in September. As I said, site performance at other networks is as steady as ever.

I have the same: august conversion was horrible but i attributed it to seasonality. Now september is going even worse, while my similar merchants on cj and linkshare perform the same!

who do you contact at GAN when you have this kind of issue?

I am seeing similar problems, EPC down around 70% of normal this month.

I received a response to my ticket - frankly I'm floored by this:

"You won't know if your orders were affected until after September 20th, 2010"

Could a GAN rep please step in here and explain the EXACT reason for the delay in reporting? I have reviewed the GAN support forum and there is no announcement or information.

How long have there been tracking issues, have sales data been lost.. and is current tracking still affected by this mysterious problem?

September 20th. Did any of these apparitions manifest themselves in anybody's stats?
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Stats for Sept. 20th won't show til tomorrow.

Did anyone notice any stats changes on the 20th?

Zero.. zilch.. nada...

Terrible conversion in September - and site performance is up at other networks.

I was told by GAN to contact merchants directly.
    Last edited by teezone; September 28th, 2010 at 04:30 PM.

I agree my conversion is down HUGE. And, I just placed a test order using my links and it didn't register either. There needs to be an explanation of what is going on...

Traffic / click thru is consistent with previous months and conversions have literally flatlined.
    Last edited by egthareal; September 28th, 2010 at 06:16 PM.

Seeing same pattern.

Just out of interest have you changed over to the new Doubleclick links?

Just out of interest have you changed over to the new Doubleclick links?
    Yes
    Last edited by teezone; September 28th, 2010 at 11:10 PM.

Google Affiliate Network Rep Google Affiliate Network Moderator's Avatar
    Hello,

I have message a few of you for some additional information. Your response would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Jamie

Jamie, I can't PM. Can you pls post your e-mail and I'll send you the requested information?

Google Affiliate Network Rep Google Affiliate Network Moderator's Avatar
    Hi,

Yes. You can reach me at jamier[at]google.com.

Thanks!

Jamie

GAN under reporting still?
    Hi - I hope this posts helps some affiliates, and I look forward to some feedback from affiliates in the same boat as us with GAN. I won MyCoupons.com

We noticed a significant drop in our conversion rates starting in June. For the 6 months prior, we were making $.93 per person that clicked off our site to GAN merchants. After June we dropped to $.65. We immediately contacted GAN, to get an explanation. They advised us that they were aware of the issue and that they would give us an answer and fix the 'issues'.

We waited and waited for an answer for answers to 2 questions: 1) what is the reason that our revenue dropped 40% per person we send to their merchants. and 2) what did ou do to fix the issue.

Our issue was not being addressed, and then we posted on here asking if there were others with issues - and we got people saying they were seeing issues too. We then noticed when logging into GAN they had a notice posted that they were adjusting reports, and to be patient. People started posting here and GAN was asking them to PM about the issue - I suppose to not let this issue grow. We discovered they changed their tracking system from their prior Performics system to DoubleClick around the same time frame - so that made sense as to why we had the drop. We then started talking to merchants.

We then started to move merchants from GAN to CJ - and immediately saw our revenue jump back up. We moved about 5 to start. We moved HockeyMonkey from GAN to CJ and our revenue doubled! We sent all this data to GAN.

Still not answer to the 2 questions.... I was escalated to their main guy Dan Greene, but he is not responsive either.

We have continued, and will continue to, move merchants to CJ as we are losing 30-40% of our revenue per click by running merchants through GAN.

Is anyone else seeing the same issues? GAN is being non responsive. I also hear they are looking at getting into the coupon space, so it doesnt surprise me.

I think that GAN still tracks the revenue/clicks but they are not assigning the revenue to the right affiliates - or maybe assigning revenue to a company owned account (or something) otherwise they'd want to find the answer to this problem as much as us, because they make their money on the success of affiliates.

Please email me directly if you are - jason at wolfe.com is my email. Some of you all might remember me, as I have been in the Affiliate space for 14 years - I created DirectTrack and sold DirectResponse to Digital River in 2006, so I do understand the tracking and reporting space. I also remember how important affiliates were, and its a surprise we are not being given a resolution to this issue by GAN as we are 5 months into this issue with them.

Thanks

Jason

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast