NameCheap's Clunky Interface Frustrating
    Following the recommendations here at ABW for NameCheap I have slowly moved a few names there. The interface is so sad and time consuming that it makes me wonder about their life expectancy.

I'm pulling them from GoDaddy who has a good interface, but the system always trips me up. I never remember to release the Privacy as it's with a third party. That gets my transfers denied. When you are in there you think that everything you need is at your finger tips, but no.

I would be interested in recommendations for a domain seller that has a smooth process and a cheap price.

Have you tried securepaynet.net? I'm moving some there from webfusion because they have a synchronize feature that can have all your domains due once a year if you like and the transfer payment is applied to extend your registration.

I've tried a few registrars over the years, but keep going back to Godaddy. Second best for me was name.com.
    We did not change as we grew older; we just became more clearly ourselves.
    ~Lynn Hall

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Namecheap is good. The privacy thing is normal for transfers. The namecheap interface is a little clunky and sometimes stops working. But I have not seen that happen for over a year and usually it is only part of the system.

Godaddy is worse in my opinion. Slow and has no fine controls and everything is called something it is not really.

Moniker is a little better.

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy View Post
    Have you tried securepaynet.net? I'm moving some there from webfusion because they have a synchronize feature that can have all your domains due once a year if you like and the transfer payment is applied to extend your registration.
    Would there be a typo in sucurepaynet.net? I'm having trouble looking that up.

Unable to proceed
    We are unable to proceed because we are missing information required for proper checkout. This may also be caused because of inactivity for a long time. We apologize for the inconvenience and we encourage you to please try again.
    This is what I have been seeing for months when I log into NameCheap. It's bogus though as I'm logged in and can check my names.

NameCheap may be a bit "clunky" because they are still having "migration" problems, having started out as a reseller for eNom. They only recently (last year?) became an accredited registrar.

I just checked the WHOIS for a domain I had registered there a few years ago, with these results:
    Created On:09-Nov-2005 18:59:41 UTC
    Last Updated On:10-Oct-2009 11:32:57 UTC
    Expiration Date:09-Nov-2010 18:59:41 UTC
    Sponsoring Registrar:eNom, Inc. (R39-LROR)
    I have been transferring domains from there (as they come up for renewal) to one of my main registrars (mostly to Moniker for pricing and security reasons). I seem to have lost faith in their "clunky" system that they just can't seem to get a handle on...
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

John -- I just sent you a PM.
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    I have been transferring domains from there (as they come up for renewal) to one of my main registrars (mostly to Moniker for pricing and security reasons). I seem to have lost faith in their "clunky" system that they just can't seem to get a handle on...
    OK I signed up at Moniker and initiated the two transfers that were denied by GoDaddy last night.

I called GoDaddy today and told them that I had gone to the Privacy seller and took that off. They said I would have to re-initiate the transfer at NameCheap. NameCheap said that they couldn't do that and they would cancel automatically in 10 to 15 days. Then I could try again. They just hang onto your money for you to use later. (Hate That!)

The process with Moniker went smooth enough, but trying with 2 different registrars in 2 days might cause a problem. We shall see.

In followup my 2 names are transferred to Moniker. I really like their smooth business like interface. None of the clunkiness of NameCheap nor the rampant up-sell efforts of GoDaddy.

It costs $8.99 per name at Moniker which is about the same for GoDaddy and NameCheap. NameCheap does have a year of free privacy and then goes to an annual fee of between $2.50 and $2.88 depending on how many you do.

Moniker has Privacy for $4.00 a year compared to the outrageous $8.99 at GoDaddy.

Thanks to Bill for mentioning Moniker.

Quote Originally Posted by John Powell View Post
    Moniker has Privacy for $4.00 a year compared to the outrageous $8.99 at GoDaddy.
    Moniker is offering $4.00 Privacy for a limited time. It doesn't mention what it will be when you go to renew it next year.

*I thought that Godaddy was expensive for privacy... Register.com is $11 per year! Yikes.
    Last edited by kaizen; August 27th, 2010 at 01:02 PM. Reason: added sumpin
    We did not change as we grew older; we just became more clearly ourselves.
    ~Lynn Hall

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread