Macys Lowers Commission to 3%
    Got this note on Tuesday:

Thank you for your participation in the macys.com affiliate program. Due to your hard work, partnership and innovation, the program is realizing year-over-year gains thus far in fiscal 2010. However, this also means that we are experiencing a large increase in expenses at a time when every organization must examine the return on every dollar spent.

To that end, the difficult business decision has been made to adjust the base affiliate program through LinkShare from 4% to 3% commission effective September 8, 2010. You will have 14 days to opt into the new, 3% baseline offer before you are automatically opted-in. Until that time, you will receive the legacy 4% baseline offer in which you are currently participating.

For our part, macys.com continues to build new technology, increase content, and provide powerful assortments and the best brands, tailored to each and every customer with obvious value that makes Macy's the Great American Department Store.

Please do not hesitate to reach out to us at affiliates@macys.com if you have any questions and/or concerns.

Sincerely,
    Mark Huang
    Senior Marketing Manager - Strategic Partnerships
    macys.com
    Thanks for your hard work! To reward you, we're cut our already low commission rate by 25%!

Yes, commissions show up as an "expense", like Mark says, but they would be more accurately reported as the cost-of-sales.
    Your Ad Here.

The old "increase in expenses" line lol. They forgot to mention the fixed expenses that do not grow or change, and the increase in profits that comes with the sales growth.

Chiselers, plain and simple.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

How about "I/We the affiliates have experienced increased costs (kids, college, credit card interest jumped up, fixing old cars) at a time when our revenue has dramatically DEcreased due to the economic downturn, therefore, we hereby announce that YOU - MACY'S - AUTOMATICALLY will INCREASE our commissions from 4% to 5%" to fix this problem we are experiencing.

If only affiliates pulled together to counter such moves, because truly "the rationale" runs both ways and this is basically a "We know YOU need the money. We know you have invested time/effort/etc. So we KNOW we can PUT THE SQUEEZE on you."

How about an Affiliate's Union that counters such BS by not only "striking" (pulling out, en masse) but also making a point to use the very same skills and resources to start delivering the message to the Web that "if you were thinking about buying ABC @ Macy's THEN you really should consider buying ABC @ STACY's, where you get . . . "

Honestly, it's time for the rebellion. It's time to learn how to herd cats -> Affilicats.
    Last edited by BeepBeep; August 27th, 2010 at 09:45 AM.
    I'll get the hang of it eventually. :0)

Just replace them and that's it.
    [URL=http://www.pexcornel.com]Pexcornel blog[/URL]

Affiliate Manager ParadigmWilliam's Avatar
    Some merchants don't understand how valuable affiliates can be and only hurt themselves as I will be replacing their ad spot with a similar company that pays more.
    [URL="http://www.manageaffiliatelinks.com/"][COLOR="Red"][B]Manage Affiliate Links[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Redirect Dead, Expired, or Broken Links

[URL="http://www.wpcoupon.com/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]WP Coupon[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Turn Wordpress into a Coupon Site!

I expect many companies will be doing this as time goes on, a little sad affiliates have either opt out voluntarily or be automatically opted in, which there was a third option for high earning affiliates to pick a percentage they are happy with between 3% and 4%

Certified Affiliate Manager sunshiner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBeep View Post
    How about "I/We the affiliates have experienced increased costs (kids, college, credit card interest jumped up, fixing old cars) at a time when our revenue has dramatically DEcreased due to the economic downturn, therefore, we hereby announce that YOU - MACY'S - AUTOMATICALLY will INCREASE our commissions from 4% to 5%" to fix this problem we are experiencing.

If only affiliates pulled together to counter such moves, because truly "the rationale" runs both ways and this is basically a "We know YOU need the money. We know you have invested time/effort/etc. So we KNOW we can PUT THE SQUEEZE on you."

How about an Affiliate's Union that counters such BS by not only "striking" (pulling out, en masse) but also making a point to use the very same skills and resources to start delivering the message to the Web that "if you were thinking about buying ABC @ Macy's THEN you really should consider buying ABC @ STACY's, where you get . . . "

Honestly, it's time for the rebellion. It's time to learn how to herd cats -> Affilicats.
    I LOVE that...I am so tired of merchants wanting "free" advertising. Like we don't have expenses.
    Cindy Ballard, VP of Operations, Greg Hoffman Consulting
    Follow Me on Twitter @cingroomer
    My blog, www.oldfartlife.com

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread